Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Bold Trigger Question

Boolit Master

Bold Trigger Question

A few years ago, while Bold Triggers were still available, I installed one on a Mauser VZ24 action with a new 308 Win Shilen heavy barrel. Shot it a few times and it ended up in the gun safe.

Pulled it out of the safe a couple of days ago and decided to play with it again. Shot a couple of 5-round groups and noticed that the cocking piece did not catch on the next chambering. Extracted the round to see if there was any indication of the firing pin reaching the primer. Primer did not show any marks. Rechambered the round and fired it. Then shot a couple more rounds. Chambered the next round and the rifle fired as the bolt completely closed. Not a fan of this.

Visually checked the trigger sear and cocking piece and there does not indicate any wear that would cause this release. Worked the bolt 100 times and the cocking piece caught each time. Bumped the stock a number of times on the floor and the cocking piece held.

It seems that the cocking piece was picked up and then lost as the bolt was closed. I am thinking the sear engagement height on the Bold trigger was a little low. I have since adjusted the height to the highest height allowed and still allow the bolt to open when fired. Trigger weight is about 2 pounds, light but not excessively. Trigger overtravel is minimal.

I was hoping that the adjustment had solved the issue. This morning, I was checking some ogive lengths and the cocking piece did not pick up on one of the closings. Have not been able to repeat the failure to catch cocking piece since then.

Anyone have any suggestions/thoughts on what is happening?

Boolit Master
    It could be any number of things. The first thought that comes to mind is that dried oil might be gumming up the sear. If there's something trying to glue the sear in place it might be able to overcome the force of the puny sear return spring. If this is the case, try cleaning the trigger mechanism with some lighter fluid. Work the sear up and down manually, and don't be stingy with the lighter fluid. If there's a sear spring tension screw, adjust this to get a little more upward force on the sear. The trace residue from the lighter fluid is more than enough to lubricate everything in the trigger group. It's a bad idea to use oil on a trigger/sear for the reasons described. Also, it goes without saying, but don't do this near any open flame.

As an after thought: With the bolt removed, look and see how much of the sear is projecting up through the cut in the receiver tang. Make sure that this isn't a mechanical fitment problem. If only the very edge of the sear is projecting, this might indicate a mechanical problem. If the sear is projecting normally, this suggests its a sear reset problem.