Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where is the 45-70 Brass?

You could buy loaded .45-70 ammo to get the brass.
    If you put down the coin for a 45-caliber rifle suppressor a few boxes of ammo isn't the time to start going cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    There are 6 lots of 50ea new Starline in Swappin & Sellin forum right now.
    Didn't know that!!!!!!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

I just ordered 300 starline from Druid Hill Armory for $163 including shipping. So, that's 54 cents each. Got 200 of the same from them several months back. So, will have 500 new cases for my three different 45-70s to sort into various weight batches.

Boolit Master

Another thing you need to watch for is not to get short 45-70 brass as leverlution ammo is cut to 2 " rather then 2.1 standard . This can be overcome in a sigle shot with less need for proper case crimp by just keeping the same over all cartridge's length.
    Here in Michigan if a reloader trims 46-70 brass to 1.8 inches then the gun is legal for deer hunting in the southern part of the state that was formerly for shotgun only .

Each year I get a few 45-70 cases at my club most are the shorter 2" brass I load them with cat sneeze load that equals .45 acp ballistics .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

the one thing with 45-70 brass is watch out.. or at least be aware of hornady. hornady 45-70 brass made for their ftx projectiles is short. It still works.. but you must use all the same brass in a run and adjust your dies for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    the one thing with 45-70 brass is watch out.. or at least be aware of hornady. hornady 45-70 brass made for their ftx projectiles is short. It still works.. but you must use all the same brass in a run and adjust your dies for it.
    I have a couple of those mixed in with mine! I do end up seeing them generally when I deprime/resize/trim because I reload 45/70 on a single stage but I hate those.

Also starline at powder valley - they're 50 cents, but at 1000 fps, you'll shoot them tons of times!
    WWG1WGA

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    Now that I have a 45 caliber suppressor in the safe, I have been toying with picking up a single shot break action in 45-70 and having the barrel threaded. I figure there aren't many problems which can't be solved with an extra wide meplat in front of 500gr of alloy going 1000fps. I was doing my due diligence and checking to see how much I would be able to afford to shoot the thing, and I haven't seen a single piece of brass in stock anywhere.

How long has it been like this? 44mag and 45 Colt are available, but 454, 460, and 45-70 are just not to be had.
    Sent you a PM re: my 45-70 brass.
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    I have a couple of those mixed in with mine! I do end up seeing them generally when I deprime/resize/trim because I reload 45/70 on a single stage but I hate those.

Also starline at powder valley - they're 50 cents, but at 1000 fps, you'll shoot them tons of times!
    Yeah..they aren't my first choice..unfortunately..when I needed 45-70 brass years back..i fell into almost 500 pieces of it..1x fired for 20-30$..& bought it. It's a slight pita..but now..its the only 45-70 I use..so it's ok. Dies are adjusted and I doubt I'll ever need more brass..so I'm good to go.

Boolit Buddy
    I just used Ammoseek.com to check for 45-70 brass. Quite a few listings came up. This one was at the top of the list. I think, generally, the higher up the list they are, the cheaper they are. This is 50 pieces of new Starline brass. $32.50.

https://www.defenderammunition.com/p...40420499914850

Boolit Master

Try here; https://republicammunition.com/products/

If nit listed. CALL!!!!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    I'll take all the HORNADY short brass I can get. I plug em with a 405 grain pill and fire away. I have a set of the HORNADY dies amongst other brands, but the HORNADY dies are my go to for the shorties. I load mine between medium and hot so not krazy. I have plenty of WW and Starline brass, but I wouldn't pass on the HORNADY if offered. Gas cutting/bullet jump might be a concern to some people but I haven't seen any issues with hundreds that I have shot in my Henry, Marlin or 1886's. Always make yourself a handfull of dummy rounds and cycle them a couple times just to check. Also, check Precision Reloading website and get on their notify me list.
    Last edited by THE_ANTIDOTE; 10-05-2023 at 03:19 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Midway was out of Starline 45-70 for quite a long time, but more recently they've had it come into stock several times. The most recent I'm aware of was about 5 or 6 weeks ago, but I haven't been looking since then.

It's not only 45-70 it's a number of others on Starline because they say they're still catching up from the most recent panic buys. I was lucky and I recently I found 150 pieces of 45-70's in a local gun mag and now I'm set with nearly double that.

Be patient, camp out one Starline's site daily (I've seen some pistol calibers sell out in a single day) and don't wait, buy as soon as you see it.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Too often, it’s like talking to the wind.

Boolit Master
    It ran off with the 44-40 brass, rare as hens teeth lately.

.45-70 brass is out there, you just got to look, but they are not going to give it away.
    I know, I have a couple Trapdoors, an Encore and a Henry H010X to feed.
    I would suggest you buy the Henry H010X or the New Marlin for your suppressor, they will put a smile on your face.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12