MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Quit

Boolit Master
    I have pretty much stopped looking for WW and rely on my bullet traps to recycle my lead but when I shoot matches, I lose that lead.

Moderator Emeritus

My back decided I was done collecting. I still have to smelt what I have lying around - someaday. I did enjoy collecting and smelting so it was not considered work. I have about 2,000 lbs smelted that was real fun moving out here about six and a half years ago.

Boolit Grand Master

About two years ago my free unlimited wheel-weight source retired from the Tire business and sold his two shops .
    I have been stretching my COWW supply with soft lead 50-50 for the past 5 or 6 years . I probably have a lifetime supply left but if I don't I'm going to go old school and shoot a simple Tin/Lead mix .
    According to the 1936 book "Sixgun Cartridges & Loads" the following Tin/ lead alloy's should cover most needs :
    1 / 25 - most revolver , light loads and normal pressure Target and Plinking (bhn 9)
    1 / 20 - most revolver, light and normal pressure loads , up to 999 fps (bhn10)
    1 / 16 - heavy revolver and magnum loads 1,000 fps + (bhn 11)
    1 / 10 - Auto-pistol and rifle boolits (11.5 bhn)

If I ever need tin-lead alloy I'm pretty sure one of these will work .
    And I still have a big box of Printer's Type from a print shop that went over to more modern means of type setting ...and the owner gave me all his old line-o-type !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Obama had ordered all lead mines closed though the EPA ,Trump changed the rules allowing them to stay open or reopen. I think there was further progress because lead is an essential defense item even with changing to lead free ammo.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snipecg21 View Post
    After smelting the last of the wheel weights I had, I took a look at what I got in lead compared to the effort to sort usable WW from all the rest of the crap. I have now come to the conclusion that it just ain't worth it anymore. I won't quit casting but unless someone gives me a bunch off roofing lead or similar I'm just going to buy from a reputable supplier from now on.
    Wheel weights used to be okay for handgun boolits, unless you were competing. Even when the lead ones were plentiful, they were never a repeatable source.

For rifles and when I was shooting PPC, I always bought from RotoMetals or similar source. Easier to duplicate the recipe.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    According to the 1936 book "Sixgun Cartridges & Loads" the following Tin/ lead alloy's should cover most needs :
    1 / 25 - most revolver , light loads and normal pressure Target and Plinking (bhn 9)
    1 / 20 - most revolver, light and normal pressure loads , up to 999 fps (bhn10)
    1 / 16 - heavy revolver and magnum loads 1,000 fps + (bhn 11)
    1 / 10 - Auto-pistol and rifle boolits (11.5 bhn)
    gw - You know best what works for you. This is no criticism - just my $0.02.

As I started out to cast, everyone here said read, read, and read some more. I found a strong recommendation of 2% tin, which is 1:50, as indicated by Rob Applegate & Gary Fryxell on page 36 in their From Ingot to Target - A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners.

In today's inflated cost, insufficient supply, and increased demand, those without a stockpile may question the amount (in particular the cost) of the Tin to use, which cost has heretofore been 10 times more than lead. Everyone comes to terms with their own velocity, hardness, and cost. Certainly, my way (49-49-2 percent Pb-WW-Sn) is not "the only way", but, (imho) is pretty good for my means and the way in which I shoot.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 08-13-2023 at 06:39 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    I have already shot 8,595 rounds this year, so nothing stays on my shelf too long.
    Congratulations Danny!!!!

Not sure the last time I made an empty.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

I probably have 2 or 3 lifetimes of lead stashed away and I still get it when its available. I no longer search for it but I still take it when the opportunity presents itself. A buddy brings me a bucket of weights about every 6 or 8 weeks from an old source. Maybe I'm different but I rather enjoy sorting stuff and sorting weights doesn't bother me. Also, I'm still getting 55-60% lead.

I see several post that mention not knowing what you're getting, ect. Me and a buddy get together once a year and smelt the past years accumulation of scrap. I melt in batches of 350-400# and send BNE a sample of every batch to test. I'm still seeing the same alloy.

Some may call me a hoarder and look down on me for still getting lead but anything I leave behind will go to another caster after I'm gone, not to the scrap yard.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I probably have 2 or 3 lifetimes of lead stashed away and I still get it when its available. I no longer search for it but I still take it when the opportunity presents itself. A buddy brings me a bucket of weights about every 6 or 8 weeks from an old source. Maybe I'm different but I rather enjoy sorting stuff and sorting weights doesn't bother me. Also, I'm still getting 55-60% lead.

I see several post that mention not knowing what you're getting, ect. Me and a buddy get together once a year and smelt the past years accumulation of scrap. I melt in batches of 350-400# and send BNE a sample of every batch to test. I'm still seeing the same alloy.

Some may call me a hoarder and look down on me for still getting lead but anything I leave behind will go to another caster after I'm gone, not to the scrap yard.
    The people who look down on hoaders are idiots.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I don't spend much time sorting weights. I drop 'em in the pot and if they melt, I stir 'em in. If zinc melts who cares? I've never particularly worried about it especially to the point of sitting with pliers pinching each weight to check for hardness. If somebody is doing that, I can see why it would become too tedious to use current WW's. For me, using current WW's I'm more concerned with how many non-lead weights are in there from a total cost per pound of useable alloy. The local scrap yard sells lead for 30 cents a lb so I don't mind it at all if I only get 50% useable alloy. That is still darned cheap if you ask me. The problem is that even those buckets with 50% steel weights are getting few and far between.

Of course, as most are saying, if somebody is just now starting to cast, wheel weights are probably not going to be available enough to sustain their casting needs. I'm thankful I got into this years ago and packratted back enough to last the rest of my life years ago. Still if the scrap yard had 1,000 pounds available at 30 cents/lb, I'd jump on it if I had to borrow the money! And I'd never sell it at any price. Such is the mindset of a true hoarder. That mindset paid off well in 2020 when my family had 200 rolls of toilet paper while many others were burning gas every day driving store to store looking for a few rolls.

Boolit Master
    I gather spent slugs at my club range. Keeps me puttering along as I don't shoot all that much. May go the Rotometals way here one of these days.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I don't spend much time sorting weights. I drop 'em in the pot and if they melt, I stir 'em in. If zinc melts who cares? I've never particularly worried about it especially to the point of sitting with pliers pinching each weight to check for hardness. If somebody is doing that, I can see why it would become too tedious to use current WW's. For me, using current WW's I'm more concerned with how many non-lead weights are in there from a total cost per pound of useable alloy. The local scrap yard sells lead for 30 cents a lb so I don't mind it at all if I only get 50% useable alloy. That is still darned cheap if you ask me. The problem is that even those buckets with 50% steel weights are getting few and far between.

Of course, as most are saying, if somebody is just now starting to cast, wheel weights are probably not going to be available enough to sustain their casting needs. I'm thankful I got into this years ago and packratted back enough to last the rest of my life years ago. Still if the scrap yard had 1,000 pounds available at 30 cents/lb, I'd jump on it if I had to borrow the money! And I'd never sell it at any price. Such is the mindset of a true hoarder. That mindset paid off well in 2020 when my family had 200 rolls of toilet paper while many others were burning gas every day driving store to store looking for a few rolls.
    I drop 'em in the pot and if they melt, I stir 'em in. If zinc melts who cares?
    I care!!!
    One or two zincs per 50 lbs. of lead is not going to make any difference but if you start adding in 15 20 per hundred then you will start having issues. The problem is compounded if that lead is sold down the road or scrounged from the berm at the range. Casters generally trust casters to have clean lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of good points here!

I've sorted so many weights that I can tell most Zinc weights by looking. I do pick each weight up for a look-see. I start a small pile for the questionable ones and those are the only ones that I cut.

I know that a few Zinc weights won't ruin a batch but I strive for zero. And my burner will easily melt any Zinc weight thats on the bottom of the pot.

I'm also retired so I rather enjoy the sorting process. Plus my weights are free from the shop that I do business with. Although I do take them a box of donuts when I get a bucket from them.

Yup, most ww are now zinc or steel or composite. So for me its berm mining at the clubs I shoot if I want useable, free alloy to cast. with. Though a buddy of mine came into about 2000# of lead sheeting he has melted down & we trade.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

While I have found a bit of zinc in the mix hurts nothing, a bunch can ruin the alloy. A friend of mine used to just crank the heat up & melt everything. He poured some into 15# bricks & gave me a few. Dropped one into 20# of alloy in my magma & froze the pour spout up. I had to get the rest of it up to 800+ deg to get it to pour. Waste of time but I did eventually add enough good alloy to it to get it to cast. I always sort my ww when I get them.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    Obama had ordered all lead mines closed though the EPA ,Trump changed the rules allowing them to stay open or reopen. I think there was further progress because lead is an essential defense item even with changing to lead free ammo.
    I dont think its the mines that causes the shortage but the refining. I believe most of that is done in yes CHina.

Boolit Buddy
    Third clearing of the 50 yard mulch trap this year. So far 87 lbs. The pistol trap is next and those are mostly 200- 230 gr 45 acp. Some of these have been downrange in some form several times. The Pure lead BP have their own trapClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5142.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	317025
    I actually bought 1000 225 grainers due to time constraints but now that I am retired, not again.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    Third clearing of the 50 yard mulch trap this year. So far 87 lbs. The pistol trap is next and those are mostly 200- 230 gr 45 acp. Some of these have been downrange in some form several times. The Pure lead BP have their own trapClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5142.jpg 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	317025
    I actually bought 1000 225 grainers due to time constraints but now that I am retired, not again.
    Tell us more about your bullet traps. Are they all mulch?
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    They are pressure tanks from expansion tanks or compressor tanks. I cut off the tops. Take junk tires, cut the treads off and slice the sidewalls into chunks. I stand the tank up and line the outsides of the tank with the treads, dropping the sidewalls in to form the first (actually last) set of baffles. I pour store bouught rubber tire mulch in to about half the depth, add another layer of sidewall and more mulch, then cap it with plastic Wood pellet bags. I have welded up target frames for the fron and attached points to grab it with a chain to dump it. I have a set of pictures that I will share if you send an email. I have no luck attaching pictures here but, I do believe if you did a search of my posts, I think I may have posted this before.I have never had a bullet go all the way and that includes 30-06 armor piercingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4860.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	317033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201006_161836.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	317034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201006_163250.jpg 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	317035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4864.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	317036

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast