Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Quit

I Quit

After smelting the last of the wheel weights I had, I took a look at what I got in lead compared to the effort to sort usable WW from all the rest of the crap. I have now come to the conclusion that it just ain't worth it anymore. I won't quit casting but unless someone gives me a bunch off roofing lead or similar I'm just going to buy from a reputable supplier from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by snipecg21 View Post
    After smelting the last of the wheel weights I had, I took a look at what I got in lead compared to the effort to sort usable WW from all the rest of the crap. I have now come to the conclusion that it just ain't worth it anymore. I won't quit casting but unless someone gives me a bunch off roofing lead or similar I'm just going to buy from a reputable supplier from now on.
    I came to the same conclusion some time ago. No question what the alloy is and as I don't have a private range any longer 50lbs lasts me a long time.

Been buying from Rotometals a long time now, for that reason.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

I have been buying lead from different sources for about 5 years, because trying to WW became to hard. Casting is still cheaper if you don't count your time and I like to cast, plus no unwanted surprises in the pot.

Boolit Grand Master

I feel for folks just starting out. Thank God I was lucky enough to put some on the shelf while the getting was good.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

I have been using late 60's and early 70's WW which I have been lugging around with me for years. That and a lot of sheet lead that I've also lugged around. I am glad I have saved both. I know for a fact that I have more lead than I will ever be able to cast and shoot before I pass on.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

All the smelting & such isn't for everybody.

I do, or more nearly did it when I could readily scrounge Lead almost by the ton.
    Sure, it was more Lead than I'd ever cast & shoot in 3 lifetimes.
    I did it as much to get out of the house and from in front of the TV as much as anything.

When scrap prices first went to $1.oo, I cashed in well over 1,000 pounds.
    It made a noticeable dent in my stash, but I still had/have more than I'll ever make into boolits or fishing sinkers.
    But it did add a nice contribution to what I call the 'Keep Winger Ed. from starving to death-- this week fund'.
    And even left a few bucks to buy Whiskey and gun powder.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I feel for folks just starting out. Thank God I was lucky enough to put some on the shelf while the getting was good.
    I have already shot 8,595 rounds this year, so nothing stays on my shelf to long.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    I have already shot 8,595 rounds this year, so nothing stays on my shelf to long.
    You just need a bigger shelf.

When I was younger, I managed to cast all I wanted to plink, shoot ICORE and USPSA and still put over 3,000 pounds in stores. Now old age and infirmity has snuck up on me and my casting and shooting is way down. I draw down on those stores to stay in the game, but at this point they will surely outlast me.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Recovered range scrap can be very useful but if you can it is best just to pick it off the ground mining the berms damages them .
    I recently got 80 pounds of lead from a yard sale for 10 bucks some is ingots of dead soft the rest was cast into downrigger weights and seems to be hard alloy .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    I seem to recall the good old EPA shut down the last lead mine in the US of A some time back, so no telling where new ore is coming from and what might be in it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I seem to recall the good old EPA shut down the last lead mine in the US of A some time back, so no telling where new ore is coming from and what might be in it.
    The article below lists the five largest lead mines in the US for 2022, based on annual tonnage.
    https://www.mining-technology.com/ma...-mines-the-us/

Perhaps you were thinking lead smelters, not lead mines - they aren't the same.

-----

https://www.miningweekly.com/article...ths-2023-05-17
    "The country has five lead mines in Missouri, and lead is produced as a by-product at two zinc mines in Alaska and two silver mines in Idaho. These mines include the Renco Group’s Sweetwater mine in Missouri and Teck Resources’ Red Dog mine in Alaska."
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 08-11-2023 at 07:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    The article below lists the five largest lead mines in the US for 2022, based on annual tonnage.
    https://www.mining-technology.com/ma...-mines-the-us/

Perhaps you were thinking lead smelters, not lead mines - they aren't the same.

-----

https://www.miningweekly.com/article...ths-2023-05-17
    "The country has five lead mines in Missouri, and lead is produced as a by-product at two zinc mines in Alaska and two silver mines in Idaho. These mines include the Renco Group’s Sweetwater mine in Missouri and Teck Resources’ Red Dog mine in Alaska."
    I’m happy to be corrected, it would be a strategic mistake to close all of our domestic lead mines.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post

Unfortunately same with your food

I quit refining lead into ingots a few years ago after I came to the conclusion I have enough in ingot form to last me to the end. I'll still acquire any lead in any form if it's free. The wife can scrap it after I'm gone.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Like others have said, glad I stocked up when the getting was good. I've still got two 5 gallon buckets of linotype in the shed.

Boolit Master
    When I was at school,one teacher was a bullet caster ,and he used to offer the dumb kids a way to get a pass mark by bringing in lead scrap...........the dumb kids could also get high marks for bringing in old muzzle loaders .

Boolit Grand Master
    Never got into the scrounging WW thing. Just easier to buy known alloy. Did a bit of range lead for a while but I had more money than time and stopped doing that too.

I have about two tons now and will soon turn 73. That will make over 180k bullets. Should last my lifetime.

I built a trap to reclaim lead but doubt I will use it much.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I still get ww for free, and scrap the junk for $.15 a pound. But it is getting harder and harder to get a decent amount of usable lead from a bucket full!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast