Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retail Outlet with complete Reloading Supplies

Boolit Buddy

Retail Outlet with complete Reloading Supplies

I have a great friend who is ready to begin handloading ammunition.
    I have had this addiction for 40 ish years and he wants me to get him
    completely ready to hand load 5 or 6 rifle calibers.

He wants me and him to take a trip to a retail outlet where he can buy everything he
    needs. I have explained that he could save some dollars by buying online, his comment
    was he didn't mind if it cost more but he wanted to be able to put his hands on what he was buying.

I said our local Bass Pro would not have everything he needs and I didn't know a outlet that would.
    He has said he is willing to drive 6 hours to make this happen.

so my question, With in 6 hours of Gainesville Fl, do you know of a establishment that will have whats needed in stock?
    The whole shooting match.

Thank you

Boolit Master

I suspect "NOT POSSIBLE". Depends on what he wants, manufacturers, caliber of the 5 or 6 rifles, and of course - is it in stock or "Non-Obtanium".

Best bet is to put a list together and do an Internet search of retail outlets in your extended Gainsville Florida area and make an all Day of it; going to multiple retail outlets.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master
    With the current state of the market and the “supply chain” I would have to say that I wouldn’t guarantee any store, anywhere in the country will have every little thing he could want on any given day. If you could find a big box sporting goods store (like Bass Pro, Cabella’s, Sportsman’s Warehouse, etc) having a grand opening of a new store, you might find it all, but even then you can’t be sure.
    If you can find him a place with the press(es) he is considering and one or more sets of dies, that should give him the capital outlay, and at the same time as many consumables (primers, bullets, and powder), then he can supplement with more dies and small accessories online. That’s about the best you can hope for.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Cartridges aren't exotic, he mentioned 30-06, 270, 7mm-08, 243, 308 and maybe .350 legend.
    Fully intend to have to get different brands, but I mean how many different single stage presses will do,
    My thought's too, is that even buying from different vendors, RCBS, Hornady, Lyman etc, you would be
    hard pressed to find it under one roof.
    Thats why I asked.
    Well what town has 2 or 3 of the kinds of stores we are talking about, Bass Pro, Academy Sports, etc?
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    you cut your choices back severely if you only want to go to a "retail store".
    i cant think of one store that will have it all like Natchezz Shooters Supply, Graf & Sons, Precision Reloading and the like. and its likely
    they wont have in stock a couple of things he wants. i would make a list and try these online vendors. maybe $ is no object but just to "touch"
    what he wants to buy limits items that will make his reloading efforts more practical. the only thing i would store buy would be hazmat items.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 308w View Post
    I have a great friend who is ready to begin handloading ammunition.
    I have had this addiction for 40 ish years and he wants me to get him
    completely ready to hand load 5 or 6 rifle calibers.

He wants me and him to take a trip to a retail outlet where he can buy everything he
    needs. I have explained that he could save some dollars by buying online, his comment
    was he didn't mind if it cost more but he wanted to be able to put his hands on what he was buying.

I said our local Bass Pro would not have everything he needs and I didn't know a outlet that would.
    He has said he is willing to drive 6 hours to make this happen.

so my question, With in 6 hours of Gainesville Fl, do you know of a establishment that will have whats needed in stock?
    The whole shooting match.

Thank you
    Check down Tampa area, because there is not such place in North Florida.

Boolit Buddy
    I figured it would be a Georgia trip,
    But yall are pretty much mirroring my thoughts also.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 308w View Post
    I figured it would be a Georgia trip,
    But yall are pretty much mirroring my thoughts also.
    Maybe Atlanta, but nothing there and you.

If you belong to a shooting club or know a few others who reload, you may want to see if they will allow him to see their reloading equipment. That way he might be able to see several different brands and styles and maybe see how they work. Then, he can go online and see what he can find.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    I live near Tampa and there is not much. Some gun shops have some stuff. Bill Jackson’s down in Pinellas probably has about the most but brands are limited if I remember. I buy lots of used here on the forum and also Natchez, Midsouth, Graf’s and Midway.

JW

Boolit Master
    I have been handloading since 1975. Lots of members of "Boolits" much longer and I am still accumulating stuff.

So why worry about a one and done shopping spree?

Besides as others have pointed out no one, NO ONE, is going to have everything under one roof on a "good day" much less during these times.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

If you were here I would say go to Bass Pro Shops they have everything in stock.

Boolit Mold
    Sportsman's Warehouse in Lady Lake. Go to the sportsmans.com site and set your store to Lady Lake. You can see their reloading inventory. There's a limit of 200 primers a day currently. They do have presses in stock as well. The selection of Alliant powders is pretty thin but that's true just about everywhere.

You can outfit him with everything for single stage or progressive (Hornady) with what's in this store right now. Although, he may have to order dies for some of his rifle calibers. They have RCBS pistol carbide dies there and a few rifle dies but obviously not everything ... not knowing what he's shooting.
    Last edited by Rimfire McNutjob; 08-12-2023 at 03:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Your friend has far more money than sense, and I say that not knowing if he lives in a cardboard box or mansion.

I’ll echo what Sasquatch said above, find stuff to touch before buying, and for things like dies he’d learn a lot more reading folks comments about them than he will touching them.

Of course you know all this.

Boolit Master

These are mostly sad to bad times for getting into reloading, but it's been that way for at least 15 years, but it is what it is. Unless your pal won Mega Millions and put an add out there somewhere willing to pay whatever price for everything he needs there is no such thing as a one stop and shop place. Hence the word 'unobtanium'.

edited. upon reflection I have seen listings on the Florida guntrader https://floridaguntrader.com/ who are listing huge and complete reloading systems (probably from one of our late forum members I fear). But a one stop retail source does not exist. here's an example: https://floridaguntrader.com/categor...-Supplies.html
    Last edited by oley55; 08-12-2023 at 02:07 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Acme Reloading in St Augustine usually has a nice selection of powders in stock.

Boolit Grand Master
    KISS

I have never heard anyone complain about the Co-Ax press for smoothness or precision. It is not cheap so it satisfies that itch for folks who equate price with quality. I have had one for over 50 years and never wanted anything else. Buy once, cry once, be done with it.

The snap in die system makes caliber changes easy without the need for bushings.

I recall a YouTube video of a guy who evaluated a large number of presses. That may help your buddy “see” many options without physically putting his hands on them.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Can't help with a specific store/location, but I would think one of those all inclusive "kits", plus the caliber specific die(s) and shell holder(s) would cover the hardware. Then of course the perishables such as powder, primers, and projectiles.

Boolit Master
    I would look for a Dillon Dealer. Short of that, call Palmetto State Armory. I believe they carry some reloading stuff at their shop.

I dont know the area , i suspect 6 hrs round trip or 6 hrs one way offers with a few stops everything youd need. Not at one single store. Make a list of what you need , most difficult item is max distance away you drive and source everything you cant get at that store along the route back.
    Last edited by zymguy; 08-16-2023 at 02:38 AM. Reason: I dont computer well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast