RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Loaded for doves

Boolit Master

Loaded for doves

12 flats 12 ga 1 1/8 oz #8 for sons and grandsons;
    2 flat 20 ga 7/8 oz #8 for DIL
    5 flats 28ga 3/4 and 7/8 oz #7 1/2, #8 and 9 for me for both seasons.

Hers a pic of the 3/4 oz #9 load at 35 yds shooting 12” disc. Modified Carlson on Tristar g2 viper.
    No excuses!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0514.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	316835
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Yep, I'd say you are ready as far the guns and ammo is concerned. Now all you need is a good dove field! I have 125 acres of corn but doubt it will have been combined by opening day of dove season.

Boolit Master

What are you going to shoot on the second day?

Boolit Master
    Ok I have a question. I’m just getting back to small game, shotshell reloading etc. I’ve never hunted dove. Is it like quail? As far as what ya do with them? You just save the breast right? And what do the tast like ? Please don’t say chicken LOL. Just wondering
    Thanks
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Dove are a dark meat bird, like duck. Very easy to dry out by overcooking.
    They are the opposite of quail and pheasant.
    We’ve always just used the breast and they are small.
    Traditionally wrapped in bacon and grilled; but a better way is to sear the meat, cut into bite size pieces, and simmer them in a dipping sauce- whatever flavor you like.
    I mix ranch dressing with plum jelly and Cajun seasoning in the skillet, then mix in the dove meat.
    Good stuff.
    I miss dove hunting!
    We just don’t have the birds any more around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

"Traditionally wrapped in bacon and grilled"

Don't forget the jalapenos.

Mighty fine eating!

Boolit Master

My family’s favorite meal. I marinate them overnight in mixture of Dr Pepper or Coke, garlic and onion powder, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and a little hot sauce. Smoke at 225* for about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs to medium rare, brushing occasionally with garlic butter. They are dark meat but taste nothing like duck. All this but marinade not necessary. Just smoke ‘em.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Take a jalapeño pepper, cut off the top and core. Stuff in half a dove breast and wrap with half a piece of bacon and hold in place with a tooth pick. Talk about good!!
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Take a jalapeño pepper, cut off the top and core. Stuff in half a dove breast and wrap with half a piece of bacon and hold in place with a tooth pick. Talk about good!!
    That is the ONLY way to cook em' and the best.... We tailgate doing that in San Angelo TX after the hunt. Don't forget the Lone Star beer to wash it down.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

OK,,, you guys are making me hungry!

I haven't gotten to go Dove Hunting in many years. CA went stupid with the steel shot loads and I only got a gun that could shoot them last year and it is too heavy to carry around in the field. All my hunting was done in an Avocado Grove where they baited the fields heavily. There was no shortage of birds, and all 12 of us had our limits by 7:30AM on Opening Day, barbequed them all for lunch, then went back out and limited again in the evening. Our season here in CA starts on Saturday of Labor Day weekend. However that place is gone now, and I haven't found a new place to hunt yet.

Probably ought to start looking a little harder? We just bought a new BBQ!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I just coat them in flower and deep fry. Then dip them in any kind of good sauce I have around, or my homemade sauce. They melt in your mouth almost. They sure are expensive though, from a lead and powder standpoint. Really not worth it at all from that standpoint, unless one is starving, but they taste good and they give you good practice.

Jungle Dave: How many shots are you needing to get 10 birds? 10-12 is the correct answer! The guy that owned that Avocado Grove we shot in got his limit that first day with 10 rounds from a .410 SXS! It took me 12 with my A5. So 12 rounds at .25 each is $3.00 so $3.00 for lunch and some really great fun seems reasonable? I even did the Cooking for the group and they provided the beer!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Jungle Dave: How many shots are you needing to get 10 birds? 10-12 is the correct answer! The guy that owned that Avocado Grove we shot in got his limit that first day with 10 rounds from a .410 SXS! It took me 12 with my A5. So 12 rounds at .25 each is $3.00 so $3.00 for lunch and some really great fun seems reasonable? I even did the Cooking for the group and they provided the beer!

Randy
    That's some good shooting! For 10 birds, takes a few more shells for me...not sure off the top of my head, but I'd be safe saying a full box, so my lunch is a little more expensive ...these are some tough ones in East Texas...sometimes have to put two shells into them...but mostly it's my missing on a first shot and connecting on the second...haha

I didn’t say they tasted like duck- just that the meat is dark
    Ah the old days. In high school, word would get out about a dove heavy field and ten boys with shotguns would swarm it! The next day it would be a different field.
    The little speed demons give a challenge for sure! I love to sit at a water hole with my .410 and take the slowing down birds.
    This season is my 50th but it seems like yesterday that I used a whole box of 20 gauge from my new H&R Topper to get 6 birds on my first dove hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

We always bought AA shells for dove hunting so we would have plenty of empties to load for quail hunting. My dad hardly every used more than ten to get his limit but my brothers and I used a box or two each.