Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Frankford arsenal universal micrometer die set review

Banned

Frankford arsenal universal micrometer die set review

Quick review if your thinking of buying it. Im working on a ridiculous 300AAC project just for fun and at the same time working on a 300WinMag load for a moose hunt. I needed 2 micrometer dies for what I was trying to accomplish but cant find one for the AAC and saw the Frankford universal kit for the super cheap price of $79 or $89. Thought maybe I could use it for both.

Lots of people have lots of good things to say about some of Frankfords products. IMO this is not one of those products. I got huge variability in COAL in my rockchucker using both cast and solid copper bullets. I change COAL by .003 per test load and measure COAL using the RCBS precision mic. I frequently had COAL differences 2 or 3 test loads off. Thats up to .009 difference on the high side from the setting on the die.

The increments on the die are not accurate in the least. A .001 adjustment on the die may yield a .003 or .004 or even no change on the measured COAL.

Hope this saves yall some $$

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adanymous View Post
    Quick review if your thinking of buying it. Im working on a ridiculous 300AAC project just for fun and at the same time working on a 300WinMag load for a moose hunt. I needed 2 micrometer dies for what I was trying to accomplish but cant find one for the AAC and saw the Frankford universal kit for the super cheap price of $79 or $89. Thought maybe I could use it for both.

Lots of people have lots of good things to say about some of Frankfords products. IMO this is not one of those products. I got huge variability in COAL in my rockchucker using both cast and solid copper bullets. I change COAL by .003 per test load and measure COAL using the RCBS precision mic. I frequently had COAL differences 2 or 3 test loads off. Thats up to .009 difference on the high side from the setting on the die.

The increments on the die are not accurate in the least. A .001 adjustment on the die may yield a .003 or .004 or even no change on the measured COAL.

Hope this saves yall some $$
    You have to be very careful buying any of that Midway-branded stuff. Some of it's fine, some of it may not be. If you have any doubt, spend a little more and get something better. Their cheap tumblers are good, they'll last fifteen or twenty years before they need to be junked. I bought one set of tools, junk to begin with and they were returned. Spent twice as much and bought Brownells; much, much better.

Banned
    Honestly I expected it to be kindof junk. The reviews were reasonably good, so I gave it a go. I got what I expected. On the upside, I do think it will make an excellent catfishing sinker!

I wouldn’t throw it away until after you get the equipment to measure off the ogive vs OAL. Just to make sure you are not throwing away a good product.

Boolit Master
    Frankford's products, I had a 6" electronic dial caliper, it never would zero and the battery was always dead when I went to use it.

I stay away from any Frankford's products, lots of better choices out there.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the review. Have you checked any for runout?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Can't speak for the die or calipers, but I have two FA tumblers, Two FA trickles, two FA hand primers as well as several other small things I can't remember right now - and all have been very good products and have been used a lot.