RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Leverrevolution powder for 45/70?

Boolit Mold

Leverrevolution powder for 45/70?

Was wondering if anybody has loaded this for the hornady 325gr bullet. They say it's the same powder that they use in their factory ammo but I can't find any load data for 45/70. Everything is mostly 30/30. Wanting to try and get close to 2000fps as the factory ammo is.

Boolit Master

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/rel...c=true&type=54
    Hodgdonreloading.com doesn't even list a load for it. Maybe someone on this site with quickloads could put something together for you.

Boolit Master
    I ran the data on Gordon's Reloading tool for your selected bullet in 45-70 using Leverevolution. At all load levels there was a warning: "Low burn rate. Inconsistent combustion and increased error rate of the simulation likely." I tried loads with other bullet weights in 45-70 and according to the program Leverevolution is not suitable for any loads in this caliber. Though I don't have a crystal ball, I would have to guess that the inconsistencies in combustion might give you unacceptable levels of vertical stringing due to velocity variations. It would be much more prudent to use one of the powders that have proven to be a better choice in the 45-70. Leverevolution works good in 30-30 Winchester, and with heavy (180 grain +) cast bullets in the 7.62x39.

Boolit Master
    There are multiple powders that will get close or better than 2000fps in the 45-70 with 300-325 grain bullets. 4198, 3031, H335, Reloder 7, 2015-my personal favorite, all work well along with some others in that 'burn rate'. Leverevolution is comparatively 'slow', closer to Varget, 2520, 4064 but designed to be efficient at the slightly lower pressures of the 30-30, 32 Special and 35 Remington.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys, yea, I'm looking at some other powders but most are out of stock and the leverrevolution powder is readily available so that's why I was kinda checking that one out.

You could try calling Hodgdon.

Burn rate charts show LeverEvolution around I4064, and (abandoned) testing I was doing in a 41-40 Wildcat I have (30-40 Krag straightened to 416) suggest that this might be correct.

Powders that were supposedly too Slow worked really well for me in my application -- for instance IMR4007 SSC gave me groups at 50 yds w/ overlapping holes w/ this gun, bullet & powder. All that w/ an 8 minute dot and really poor trigger (Steyr M95).

What I feel is often overlooked is that "too slow" powders most often mean lowered pressure if you can get the target velocity. To me, this is good. If ignition and accuracy over ambient temperature change is maintained.

Boolit Buddy
    The info provided by 405grain is spot on. IMHO no powder slower than those in the 4198 range should be used in the 45-70 with any bullet weight and even then need to be loaded pretty heavy for ballistic uniformity. There are a number of powders in this range besides the 4198's, AA LT-30, AA LT-32, AA 2015, RL7, H322 and some others. All of these are single base extruded powders and need 25-28000 psi to burn efficiently. This pressure range will get you to the 2000+ fps with 300-325 grain bullets.There are also some ball powders in this burn rate but I would not recommend any of them as they are typically harder to ignite and need even more pressure for efficient burn. If you want to load mild trapdoor level loads you will get much better results with double base powders, my most used are Unique, 2400 and 5744. I tried using 4198 level burn rate powders for these type loads many years ago with dismal results. Pressure is too low for efficient burn and it was typical to see extreme velocity spreads of 150+ fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt H View Post
    The info provided by 405grain is spot on. IMHO no powder slower than those in the 4198 range should be used in the 45-70 with any bullet weight and even then need to be loaded pretty heavy for ballistic uniformity. There are a number of powders in this range besides the 4198's, AA LT-30, AA LT-32, AA 2015, RL7, H322 and some others. All of these are single base extruded powders and need 25-28000 psi to burn efficiently. This pressure range will get you to the 2000+ fps with 300-325 grain bullets.There are also some ball powders in this burn rate but I would not recommend any of them as they are typically harder to ignite and need even more pressure for efficient burn. If you want to load mild trapdoor level loads you will get much better results with double base powders, my most used are Unique, 2400 and 5744. I tried using 4198 level burn rate powders for these type loads many years ago with dismal results. Pressure is too low for efficient burn and it was typical to see extreme velocity spreads of 150+ fps.
    Great post. I used to love my hot rod 4198 load because that was the level where things tightened up really well. On good advice, I've moved off of 1725+ fps and 425 grain bullet, to 5744, 1450 fps, 405 grain bullet.
    -Paul