MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: New to Me, Lyman 45

Boolit Bub

New to Me, Lyman 45

So I have been casting more bullets and I find that Pan lubing is a bit of a pain, and resizing with Lee stuff is nice but I love the idea of lubing and sizing! So I got lucky on Ebay and got a lyman 45. Looks in good condition, I just need to know how to run and take care of it, as I did not get a manual with it. I would just love some info on how to use and take care of it!

Thanks much for any info! I hope to keep it in service for a while yet.

Boolit Grand Master

The manual for a 45 isn’t much more than a schematic.
    http://imashooter2.com/books_manuals/Lyman_45.pdf

The best tip is to buy a new pressure nut and O rings from Lyman to replace the brass skirt pressure nut. It leaks a whole lot less. Use softer lubes. Less pressure is better. Be careful you don’t bottom the pressure nut and strip the screw.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    If you havent already go thu Jon_b's excellent sticky on the 45. Fairly simple to set up and use and i would recommend using only lubes that flow at room temp and dont look to be doing big swaging sizing as the leverage is not that good. Lyman no longer provides parts other than the small ratchet handles and the top punches through some parts and donor units can be found. All of mine are screwed down to hardwood boards (or to heaters mounted in boards) and clamped to the bench with C clamps for maximum flexibility and storage.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...p-instructions

Depth adjustments sound complicatd bit is simple and the bullet being sized will show you the sweet spot (this alllies to all the top punch models)

There is a link out there somewhere for a cross reference to dies and punches though most Lyman manuals have a table in them but bullets and styles come and go and RCBS top punches will fit as well.

My 45's are relegated to pistol calibers. I leave the big rifle bullets and gas check seating to the newer models

New H&I dies with the O rings are somewhat backwards compatible and can be had from Lyman and RCBS though the older ones do work better sometimes.

There's much more but i hope this helps Enjoy and dont be surprised if they start multiplying under the bench

Boolit Bub
    Awesome, thank you for the info. I hope I can get some good use out of it. ITs a neat little press! I thought it might be bigger than it was. Seems in good condition, but I m sure that guide will help alot

Banned
    I've had two of them. One I converted to the screw in nut to hold the H&I die in like the newer Lyman's and RCBS. For me a lot more convenient.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    I've had two of them. One I converted to the screw in nut to hold the H&I die in like the newer Lyman's and RCBS. For me a lot more convenient.
    how would one go about converting them?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlynn01 View Post
    how would one go about converting them?
    It's a lot of work. You have to enlarge the die hole and then you have to get a tap of the correct thread size and pitch of your nut. I used a RCBS nut as the tap was easier to find then the Lyman fine thread nut. Important thing is keep everything in centerline of the hole in body. That included the enlarging drill and the tap. I don't recommend it if your 45 works fine as it is and doesn't leak lube around the die.

Banned
    Here's a pic of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThreadedNut.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	316776