RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barn Cats

One other benefit I noticed about having cats around. Mine wouldn't dig out moles but they'd sit and stare at a mole run when one was active. I'd pick up my .44Mag, give the cat a special treat and send it on it's way and blast the mole when I saw it move.

I despise moles. Yes it was absolutely a ridiculous amount of overkill. But a smokin' hole with visible mole parts always made me smile.

Bless her heart, ours likes to dig and pee in mole runs.
    Must be a cat humor thing.

Boolit Master

Not having a barn or farm animals I do not like having feral cats around at all they are often a problem and get some of that lead sedative cure all.
    I have had three cats here that took up pooping on my porch I do not have a cat do have a smaller dog and the only thing makes sense is they are claiming my property as their territory?
    In June I had a huge buried cat dropping in driveway 40 yards from the house as I walked the dog a neighbor stopped me and said he has a 40 pound bobcat watching him and his small dog in the morning . I am guessing that is what the large dropping was from but I have not seen the animal -yet . In almost 20 years here I have only had an issue with one bobcat it was old and had mange would not leave the yard and was growling at me . I have seen one Lynx though the DNR says they are not in the area and it never caused a problem it appeared to have been stalking a cat that was hanging around at the time.

Yesterday in the dirt road at the end of my driveway there was a large blood stain and a gut pile probably from a rabbit next to that was a large dropping I am wondering if it was from the bobcat ?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    but this one is very elusive
    Porthos, I have at least 5 daily to feed outside, 1 of them will not let me touch it, but it wants to be friends. I have had many over the years come and go, one now took 3 months for me to touch it. Others have never quite adjusted, but I've heard purring and they kinda let you know they trust you, just not touchy.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master
    porthos - GONRA sez - keep befriending yer Resident Feral Kat! !!
    PATIENCE is needed here. Most Loyal Pet Ever! !!

Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    I have the same problem. If I leave too much food out, the critters will get it. I try to make sure I don't overfeed so there is none for the raccoons. I periodically live trap and relocate the raccoons and possums. The law says I have to kill them, I won't do that. I know this don't help much.
    Just for fun you may want to spray a little paint on your varmits, you may find you are relocating the same ones.
    Animals are good at finding their way back home.

Boolit Master
    "I periodically live trap and relocate the raccoons and possums. The law says I have to kill them, I won't do that. I know this don't help much."

daengmei,, I fully understand your sentiments. I'm a State Certified Animal Damage Control Agent. I deal with this stuff daily.

You may want to seriously re-think your trapping & relocation of raccoons. Not just because the laws says you must,, but consider the following;
    Rabies is a very common disease in raccoons. While you may not realize it,, it can be in their system,, yet, DORMANT but still transferable to other animals AND humans. They may not show any "normal" signs of it,, but it can be there.
    If you are relocating raccoons to Federal or State property,, you could be charged with a felony. Highly illegal to do that.
    That leaves private property.
    Do you want people dumping their problems upon your property? You are essentially doing the same if you take a raccoon to private property.
    And as it was explained to me in one of my classes; Let's consider the following scenario.
    You have a trapped & caged live raccoon. You are driving to a place to relocate it. You are involved in a traffic accident. Emergency personnel are trying to assist you & your injuries. They get bitten or scratched. Now YOU are liable for their medical treatment, as well as being charged with illegal transport of wildlife or other laws. Think lawsuits, possible jail, etc.

I will freely admit that having to dispatch animals as part of my job is the worst part. But I'd much rather do that,, than risk my livelihood, my health, my freedoms, and potentially financial ruin.

And since you haven't listed your state,, I'll throw in a few other things to consider. Here in NC,, you are required to get a Depredation permit PRIOR to trapping any wildlife out of season. The permit is FREE, as the State recognizes that people need to protect their property. And a few other laws; Traps must be of the legal type allowed by the State. All traps must have the owners name & address on them. Traps must be checked daily & any animals caught dealt with the same day. And relocation of any rabies vector species is forbidden.

I'm posting this,, NOT to upset you, nor chastise you in any way. I'm posting this so you can understand the potential problems you might encounter if something were to go wrong, and you get caught.

The 3 S's are always good to remember. The last one is what most people seem to have trouble with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Best suggestion I have is put the food away at dusk. If a racoon or opossum is out during daylight it most likely is diseased and needs a dose of Dr Winchester's Lead Sedative anyway.
    That's what I do. I tried an automatic feeder but it was too unreliable. She feeds at my back door, so it's no trouble to pick it up at dark.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Our barn cat was responsible for her own meals.
    There's a couple of strays on my property.
    I feed them from time to time, but not too often that they forget to hunt.
    Table scraps are mostly what go out to them.
    Meat grease with scraps is a bonus.
    End of July was the last section 8 meal.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    For 20 years we had pest problems, cats, coon, and opossum. About 1995 the saddle back coyote moved in and most ground animals went away. In a 5 year time frame my son and I killed over 300 yotes. Today I put dry cat food out for our barn cat and if she doesn't eat it is still there the next day.

Boolit Buddy
    I like cats.

I do not like feral cats as they do not belong there. Look at Australia and recent research on feral cats to see how bad they are for nature.

We were up to 14 yard cats for a while when a couple females had kittens. My big Weimaraner would kill a tom in a minute. Got a couple possums too. The cats would lay all over him on the deck. Then we started loosing them. My dad ran over 2 that were asleep on his tires when he went off to breakfast. One got in a fan belt. The wild kittens just vanished but we gave away the tame ones. Now I have no critters.

One other benefit I noticed about having cats around. Mine wouldn't dig out moles but they'd sit and stare at a mole run when one was active. I'd pick up my .44Mag, give the cat a special treat and send it on it's way and blast the mole when I saw it move.

I despise moles. Yes it was absolutely a ridiculous amount of overkill. But a smokin' hole with visible mole parts always made me smile.
    You can never have enough overkill!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Absolutely RUINED the hide!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohen cepel View Post
    I like cats.

I do not like feral cats as they do not belong there. Look at Australia and recent research on feral cats to see how bad they are for nature.
    When I keep the strays shot out, I have grouse and rabbits, if not, no grouse and rabbits.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Put the food source on a post far enough for the cats to jump to, but the other critter can't.
    A cat can jump a fair distance.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    Put the food source on a post far enough for the cats to jump to, but the other critter can't.
    A cat can jump a fair distance.
    My fat fixed male jumped 4 feet straight up from the middle of my bed, snatched & ate a bat in less than a blink. They Can Jump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    i have a feral at that i feed.it only comes on the back porch to eat after dark. i would like to befriend it to replace the one had that was killed. but this one is very elusive
    If you know somebody with a friendly cat that will loan it to you for a few nights then let this feral cat see you getting along with your friendly cat. I had a big feral cat visit who would not get closer than 50-60 feet no matter what I did. After two winters I had gotten nowhere. Then he saw me with my barn cat who was always underfoot. Now the feral cat is my buddy and always underfoot. Could be though he was never truly feral and was dumped off which is a growing problem for sure.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    My fat fixed male jumped 4 feet straight up from the middle of my bed, snatched & ate a bat in less than a blink. They Can Jump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tigger used to sit next to the cupboard then jump up to the top of the upper cabinets without touching the counter(forbidden!)... 7'! Granted he was 30 pounds of muscle... a no claws slap from him left bruises LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast