Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 35 rem lever gun

Boolit Master
    if I ever get a marlin in 356 win there is no way I would even think of rechambering it.
    if you can find a marlin 336er it will check all the boxes of what you are after 2400+ fps with that 200 grain bullet not sure the foot pounds of energy but I got to believe it would be plenty.

(fps^2 X Bullet weight (gr) / 450240 should give you your FPE value.

So in farmbif's case....it would calculate to ((2400*2400) X 200) / 450240 = ~2560 FPE

That sure is plenty.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Farmbif is spot on. They only made a few thousand 336ER’s in 356 and altering one would be sacrilegious. I made my 356 Trapper from a Marlin 30AS and love it.

Boolit Buddy
    I am afraid that there is a misunderstanding about my post on making a 358/356 conversion on a Marlin 336.
    No way I would propose to use a factory 356 rifle for rechambering. I was referring to the use of 356 brass to be used in a conversion to a 35 caliber gun or a rechambering of a somewhat common 35 Rem gun to 358/356.
    Rechambering a factory 356 Marlin would be like rechambering my original 375 Marlin to a wildcat 376 using 356 brass like I said. Should never be done!!
    But I would re-bore a plain jane 30-30 to 35 or 375 caliber with no hesitation.

Boolit Buddy
    The primer shortage won’t last forever. However finding brass in 35 Rem won’t ever be easy in the UK, I suspect.

I have a 35 Rem and while it’s a great cartridge, it’s never been popular here in Oz. Finding brass or ammo here is a real challenge. I’d imagine that would be the same in the UK.

You could get the chamber of a 35 Rem throated to accept pistol cal bullets but why not just buy a rifle mould that fits the chamber? Bullets need to be 0.359-0.360” to work best in my 35 Rem. Most commercially cast options here for the 357mag are close to 0.357, maybe 0.358.

If a 35 Rem rifle is cheap enough you could always have the chamber reamed to 356/358. You can buy factory 308 cases with SR primer pockets if you were so inclined, then form to 358 - I think Lapua make them.
    Last edited by JFE; 09-15-2023 at 05:20 PM.