Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H 4831

The price tag was still on the box $3.69 a pound.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    The price tag was still on the box $3.69 a pound.
    Considering that price, I would think that it is the original. If there is no rust on the top of the powder in the container, load a couple of rounds in the 300 mag you have and see if they get close to the manual speed. If it was stored properly (not huge swings of hot and cold), my guess is that it would be good to go. The Scotland H4831 is the go to powder in my 280 Ack, 308 Norma, 270 Win, and heavies in a 30-06 . It is flat out good stuff. BTW, the last lb of it I saw was $54.95.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

If you can find an older Hogdon load manual from the 1970’s , they had h-4831 data for almost every rifle caliber.
    Never trade luck for skill.

From a cast standpoint;

Two of my "heavy hitters" with respect to accuracy at starting JB velocity,a straight 6mm Rem,and a 260R... both interestingly utilizing Saeco,Eagan inspired moulds respectfully; love 4831. And have used both IMR and H long cut versions. Not gonna say what groups are as most wouldn't believe it. 4831 can absolutely hammer with cast. One note is,at least in my examples above(6mm,260),it's been best to keep on top of carbon fouling "footprint". Not unburned powder...that's not what I'm referring to. This is the accumulation of black "sooty" carbon fouling. When at this level of power and precision,everything matters.... so try to keep a running check of it. Shoot 5,and then dry mop with a loose bore brush wrapped with patch. Really examine how much black. I'd check every 5 rounds... then go to 10,so on and so forth. On my examples... they're happy going 20 rounds. Then dry mop.

Sorry for the novel,and good luck with your project.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    An addendum to a previous post .

25-06' I have backed it down to about 47 gr under a 260-120 NOE that w/ lube and check is about 125.7 gr ready to load . I believe that is going to be the load that hits the rifles potential . It's below jacketed start for the 120 jacketed data but there's not any data in cartridge for 125s and I don't have Barnes 120 TSX data . No pressure signs and clean burn .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 300 mag and a 375 H&H but as i get older im getting more recoil sensitive.
    H4831 is the perfect powder to download those 10-15%. You're in 30-06 territory with that.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

One of my favorite powders! Used to buy it in 20 lb. kegs. Does great in a variety of calibers, especially 30-06 and .303 British. Gives very accurate and stable loads.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Made up a 1 in 7 twist 22/250 a few years back. H4831 is my “go to” powder with a Berger 85.5 gr or Sierra 95 gr. Use it to ring 10” steel plates at 1000.

I4831 is my favorite and most accurate powder for cast bullets in my 30/40 Krag and my 270 Win.

308 win, 200 gr jacketed bullet. H4831 From 44.0 grains to 49.5 grains. For cast, reduce starting 10% to 39.0 grs. Load and fire 1 round. What i would do. H4831 is not a double based powder, so safe to download.

https://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

Find 223 data also. Find bullet weight, reduce start load 10% Load fire 1 round.

Went out to the range to try out my H4831 with my 308. I tried 45 gr with a Lee 170 gr gas check flat nose with carnuba blue lube. It shot 1/2 inch group at 50 yards 8 shot string. I was impressed, had a good kick to it. Rifle is a Ruger compact with a Pa-Nor match 1/13 twist barrel. No idea what velocity im getting but shot about 3 inches lower than a 160 gr jacket with 45 gr Varget which is good for 1 inch or better at 100 yards.

I also tried 25 gr H4831 with a home made 62 gr swaged bullet out of 22 cases with my 223 and it shot real good also. Tried same with cast but not near as good. Even tried red dot with 4.5-7 gr with 55 gr cast just for fun and was disappointed with that. This was with a Mossberg MVP.
    Last edited by lead chucker; 09-06-2023 at 02:11 AM. Reason: wasn't complete

Boolit Grand Master
    that is a good powder
    use it
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    If you can find an older Hogdon load manual from the 1970’s , they had h-4831 data for almost every rifle caliber.
    thanks for that tid bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    If you used a full 223 case of H4831 with a jacketed bullet would it be safe? Would you just not get the velocity you would get with say Varget.
    FWIW, There used to be load data for 8700 powder in reduced velocity loads in cartridges it was “too slow” for with high case fill percentages...

Boolit Master
    I used 4831 for everything when it was $1 /lb..........Id think it would be OK in 223 with a 70 gr bullet.........probably less velocity to a correct powder ,and likely lots of unburned grains in the barrel.....Even in a 30-06 you need the heaviest bullets for top velocity ,but back in the day ,I used nothing else in my various 30-06s ....very accurate with all casefull loads.

Boolit Grand Master

We all should have bought a 55 gallon barrel of 4831 when it was still being sold in paper bags.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12