Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hearing aids!

Boolit Master

I am on my second set of hearing aids. I hooked up with Missouri State University's Audiology. They have a large staff comprised of students who are on the "learning curve". They have a real doctor that runs the place and is very knowledgeable. I have been extremely happy with the service. Since they are a State College they don't make a profit on their hearing aids. The quality and functions on my latest set are way smarter than I am when it comes to set up. I have an appointment for a clean and adjustment as well as a hearing test (very thorough too) next week and an appointment with the good doctor where we will make any changes to my current aids. I think you would be surprised at the quality of service and knowledge of the students & staff if you can find a similar set up where you are.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    My first set was from Costco, best price in Indianapolis at the time, VA said I did not need hearing ades. Second set that I am using now are Oticon, junk, given to me by VA. Going back to Costco to get a good set.

Boolit Bub
    I ordered mine from Embrace Hearing.
    I did a "hearing test" with a phone app and they shipped them to me.
    It's been a massive improvement for me, although I did learn I'm nowhere near as sneaky in the woods as I thought I was, christ I'm noisy now.......
    Big crowds with a lot of background noise I still have some trouble with, but overall, it's been a dramatic change for me. I could hardly have a phone conversation before I got them.
    Customer service has been excellent too. I broke a part of one a couple weeks ago, and they fired off a new piece in the mail right away, no charge.

Boolit Bub
    I had ear troubles early on in life. ( numerous inner ear infections and procedures) As a young man I couldnt keep my face out of loud engines, and later in the oilfield: LOUD compressor motors. My career then had me carrying a sidearm every single day. Became an instructor, and taught at the local academy for awhile. All combined , all female voices sound the same over the telephone. Ive had Resound hearing aids but, they dont do the job very well. I heard birds singing outside my home , and that was a first for many years. Guess Ill struggle with what Ive got until more $$$ becomes available.

Wearing mine right now. Once you find a set that works for you it'll be a whole new noisy world!

Moderator Emeritus

I yielded to pressure and got -- five months ago -- a $4,500.00 set of Resound2 hearing aids. The technology is incredible -- I can tune it from my Apple 14 Plus iPhone; it recharges in a dropin case so one needs not buy/mess with changing batteries; and the speaker fits in the ear with the microphone behind it. My major two dislikes are: I wear eyeglasses, and a good percentage of the time when I take glasses off, an earpiece gets tangled with wire. And -- the MAIN one -- imho they make telephone concersation WORSE! I've gotten into the habit of needing to remove the right-ear hearing aid to hear/understand caller on the telephone. Using a cellular device on speaker -- is worse!
    geo

Boolit Master

A very timely thread for me as I have an impending appointment with an audiologist in October, although I remain just about as confused as I was before this discussion. Well except I'm fairly certain I do not want to try the Opticons.

Any advice concerning behind the ear versus in the ear versions? Pros and cons.

I was also thinking about some type of hearing aid which serves dual purpose of loud noise suppression with hearing amplification, although I suspect that option will depend on my degree of hearing loss.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12