Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hearing aids!

Boolit Master

Hearing aids!

My wife has been complaining for a few years about my inability to hear her clearly and she's not wrong, but I cringe at the cost of hearing aids, thus my question.... what would anyone with experience recommend.... I'll add that I have moderate tinitis, which I'm aware is adding to my inability to understand when spoken to. Also , I would love for something to tone down the tinitis when in the woods.... It's hard to tell the buzz in my ears apart from the rustle of the woods in the fall!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Lots of affordable options out there. I have some that will generate white noise to deal with the tinnitus, but it doesn’t bother me so I don’t use that function. I would recommend you see an audiologist to see where your deficit is, but they will probably try to sell you “their” brand.

If your hearing loss is not sever , try the " Walkers Game Ear". Inexpensive compared to regular hearing aids.I believe you would be surprised how well they work.

Boolit Master
    If you're a veteran, call the VA.

Boolit Master

I have a real problem with my hearing aids. Gradually, my hearing became worse over the years working in the steel/fab shops during my career. I received my first hearing aids about three years ago. I was able to get them paid for because my hearing loss was on the job. So, here's the problem. When I wear them, the surrounding sounds/noises are a way to loud. Road noise, trucks driving by, large groups of loud people (restaurants). My wife even has that voice that carries to well. I ask the audiologist to turn them down when I went to get them checked. She told me they were already set on the lowest setting. So, I hardly ever wear them. Even in rooms with lots of loud people, sometimes the noises are excruciating to me. Fixit, sorry to hijack your thread, but just wanted to let you know that hearing aids do have their drawbacks.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    Some of the best money I've ever spent! I've got the ringing as well, but it doesn't bother me at all, but the not being able to understand people was getting to be a real problem. Until the pandemic, I had no idea how good I was at reading lips, then all the sudden I couldn't understand anyone's muffled voice behind a mask.
    What has worked for me. Research the different functions you want in a hearing aid, then find an audiologist that sells that brand and buy the best you can reasonably afford. Mine has multiple program options and is controlled by my phone and has the ability to manipulate the settings for an individual environment. They also allow me to talk on the phone through them as well as stream multimedia.
    For hunting I'm a fan of the electronic hearing protection and I don't wear my hearing aids shooting or running loud equipment (tractor, mower, etc).

Do your research, buy the best you can afford, learn how to take advantage of the features available, then you'll go outside one day and realize the birds do still sing!

Boolit Buddy

Went to an audiologist for an ear problem several years ago. Convinced me I needed hearing aids. $6000 bucks, hated them, nothing but trouble. 2nd pair were from Costco.. Cost 41400....Still not crazy about them. Fans, road noise,and g kids squealing all annoying. But have not had nearly the problems as the first pair.Really like being able to connect to phone via bluetooth, Have learned to ignore the bad and try to enjoy the benefits GW.

I'm with littlejack, I spent big money for my first set. They made it no easier to hear my wifes voice. Just cranked the sound up on all the outside noise which made it harder to hear what I wanted.

For me the Walkers Game Ear (roughly 100$ on Amazon) worked better than my 3000$ set that was supposed to be tuned to my needs.

But over time my wife's voice dropped a notch or 2 and I can hear her if she is in the same room. So I have been going without for the last couple of years.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    Costco. Same hearing aids as audiologist half the cost. Hearing tests and fittings are all done by computer nowadays PS. You don't need to be a member to use Hearing center, pharmacy or vision center, You just get a bigger discount for being a member.

Boolit Master

+1 on the costco version. Behind the ear, fairly sensitive and adjustable from an app on your phone.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Yep.Another vote for Costco. None are exactly cheap, but Costco beats any price I have seen anywhere. I’ve been using Costco aids for years with no problems.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

+1 on the app on a phone. I don't use them, but I know an older fella that does and he loved them. Could tune them to the room in a few seconds. So if at home one setting, if in a room with many, he could easily adjust.

Boolit Master
    another vote for Costco.
    Loren, retired VA audiologist

Boolit Master
    A little back story. I got called up by Uncle Sam in 1969 and failed my entry exam because of my hearing and some other issues. Until then I didn't realize I had a hearing problem. I just lived with it until about 10 years ago. I got tested again and found I had a near total hearing loss for high frequency sound. There are new hearing aids that can amplify only the frequencies you have problems with. I bought a pair. Here's the problem I had with them. Since high frequency sound is where my problem is, and I have a near total loss in that frequency, you can't amplify zero. Zero times ten is still zero. Those things drove me nuts. I kept turning them higher and higher to try to understand the wife and grandkids (all high frequency voices) and all I got was a roaring jumble of sound. I gave up and enjoy the bliss of my position in life. So will hearing aids help you? It depends on the level of your hearing loss and which frequencies are the problem. I truly hope you can find a suitable remedy.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for Costco.Check them out if you are a member.As I understand it the hearing test is free.The cost of the hearing aids are less than any others for the quality you get.
    I really like mine.

Boolit Master
    I wear hearing aids when I go out for errands,movies etc. I have found that the aids do amplify everything the trick is you have to wear them enough that yout brain adapts and ignores the excess amplified sound. Even with hearing aids woman's voices are still hard for me to hear unless I turn up the volume on my aids.

Boolit Master

For 8 years i did a very noisy job OSHA actually outlawed the work as it was my high frequency hear is toast has been for years have had ringing of the ears since 1983 . I got a Miracle ear non digital hearing aide and have never been happy with it If all is quiet it does help me understand voices but in a crowd it is just noise!
    I have tried the cheap sound amplifiers that protect hearing while amplifying sound with a little more luck for some reason maybe it is the sound reduction of the earplug with them? I where them on the range when I am helping people shoot and while hunting I have worn them in church they are better then Miracle ear when the preacher is talking but as bad as miracle ear when music is playing and people singing or praying out loud.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

+1 on Walker Game Ear.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a hole in my right ear drum from a bad ear infection over 60 years ago, 2 failed surgeries attempting to fix it.
    I like the suggestions and wanted to add that 13 years ago insurance bought me a pair of ReSound hearing aids. I was happy with them they were set up with 3 different setting, they were not blue tooth capable. The audiologist made custom ear pieces and gave me batteries and replaced the little o ring (Think it's called a wax guard) for as long as I had the hearing aids. That shows how much mark up there must be on hearing aids.
    The ReSounds finally gave up and since I'd moved I went to a new audiologist. They sold me Oticon and they are terrible, I thought hearing aids were basically all the same quality. They are not. wish I would have been smart enough to take them back.

After all that I want everyone to know that Oticon hearing aids are JUNK!

Boolit Master

I'm only 54, but have tinnitus and get paid from the VA monthly for my hearing loss. I am almost completely deaf in my left ear. I need to go to the VA and file for increased compensation due to my hearing getting so bad. Can't hardly understand anyone at work anymore. I have been putting off hearing aids until I meet and marry my dream girl.

Silly, I know. I have not accepted that I am aging and the thought of trying to date an attractive girl while wearing hearing aids just seems completely unacceptable. My step-dad has hearing aids and uses them as an excuse to not hear my mom. I know that he can hear her stupid questions, but he pretends he can't, and when called out, blames his hearing aids. Pretty ingenious, actually.

I can't wait to meet my life partner and ignore her and then blame it on hearing aids, lol!
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast