Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Lowest velocity for acceptable accuracy with lead boolit

Boolit Master

Lowest velocity for acceptable accuracy with lead boolit

I want to discuss velocity in the 700-900 fps range.

I'm interested in 32 H&R in a single shot rifle.

Considering 135gr NOE bullet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HTC310-135-RN_PB_BY3_Sketch.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	316708

This will be a custom reamer and correct twist rate (hopefully).

The goal is an interesting range toy to shoot out to 100 yds.

I want something that can be loaded on Dillon 550. The 327 Federal is a problem for brass availability and seating die especially for long bullet.

32 S&W or 32 H&R with 70ish to 135 gr bullet are options. This will be on a .308 barrel.

I want to start a discussion.....

Your project looks like a straight wall 300 Blackout.

I purchased a MP brass mold that makes 32 caliber hollow points for the h&r mag single six. My intention is to load them in 300 Blackout and 308 Winchester and 30 ought 6 for plinking bullets and if they hold up to the pressure then I can start leaning on the gas.

Got a bunch cast-coated and sized without gas checks and in the coming weeks I'm going to start testing them at 25 and 50 yards on paper plates. I'm curious how they do in my Remington model 7 with the Green Dot sight. That is quickly becoming my favorite plinking rifle.

If you're doing a custom build why not do the thing that I wish I could do which is make it fast twist 38 Special chambered rifle. If you do 357 or 358 think of the entire catalog of bullets that you could use...

My 77/357 still hits the plates with a 90 grain powder coated Lee RF bullet and three grains of Red Dot in 38 Special brass. The bullet striking the plate is louder than the gun firing. The handloaders versatility is what makes it exciting.

I can load 358-429 with 14 grains of h110 and from that rifle it is smooth and sweet and accurate. It slaps the plate so hard it makes Sparks. If that rifle had a one and seven twist like my 300 Blackout does then I'm certain I could shoot thumbtacks with that 90 grain bullet.

I wonder how that cartridge and rifle would perform if you could seat and crimp a 220 grain blackout projectile in it...

Boolit Master
    All though not the same bullet or round I'm using a lyman 311359 in a stevens .32-20 with 2.8 grs of trail boss and getting 830 fps from a 32 1/2" barrel with groups from 1 1/2" to 2" at 100 yards. The mold is producing a bullet weighing 130 grs with the metal I'm using.

Boolit Master
    I have considered the 357mag. I like the idea. One goal is to use a tight bore for caliber. 32cal in 308 or 38/357 in .355 This would make belling cases much easier. Loading lead would be much closer to loading jacketed.

Several things that I'm considering. Cost, easy of loading, unique and noise.

Boolit Master

If you upscale your concept to about 180-250 grains in the .357, you're basically just running a bigger version of your .32, without the need to go into weird chamberings and dies, and you get the whole world of .358 rifle and handgun bullets to choose from - that's a BIG world. A ton of load data to give you jumping off points as well.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Back in the Whisper days a older shooter had an RPM XL handgun that was chambered in 32 H&R that had an 8 twist throated to shoot 220 gr Sierra MK's subsonic. That bullet whacked the heck out of the full size rams at 200 yards. Not quite hole in the horn group at 200 but real close. Recovered bullets looked like cartoon missiles with the crumpled nose.

I used to shoot the 32 H&R in a 10 inch Contender in big bore silhouette matches. 1:10 twist factory barrel, 220 grain cast bullets at around 750 fps. It had a big rainbow trajectory of course but would always drop the full size rams at 200M and would easily group into 1.5 MOA at that range. If the wind wasn't blowing too hard...

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot the 32 H&R in a Ruger SS and in a 10" Contender with a .308 barrel with a 10" twist also. With that bullet you should get efficient burn with powders at Uniques burn rate or faster for low end velocities. Accuracy at 100 yards out of a rifle length barrel will be dependent on numerous things. However, my experience with it and the 30 Carbine tell me with that bullet the low end velocity range for accuracy will be in the 850 - 1050 fps range.

I have a shot out Ruger #3 I'm contemplating having rebored and chambered in 32 H&R. Not having to knock down heavy steel rams at 200 yards but using it for just a pleasurable companion rifle for fun shooting I plan on a 16" twist barrel and not using bullets heavier than 122 gr. I also plan on mostly using a GC'd bullets for magnum level longer range shooting with a 311316 (118 gr) or 313631 (105 Gr). My plinking load will be with the TL314-90-SWC. Those will be companion loads usefull in the Ruger revolver also.

If looking for longer range bullet at high end velocity out of the rifle only I will look at using the 311359 (118 gr) or the 311465 (122 gr). Both have a bearing surface to bullet length compatible with best accuracy plus both arc GC bullets. Both of those bullets are proven performers out to 300 yards in the 30 Carbine so I expect they should be in the 32 H&R even at a couple hundred fps less velocity.

Sorry, but I don't PC so can't go there.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have a single shot rifle in .32 S&W Long with ten-inch twist and use Accurate 31-155D with a case full of 4227 . Chamber has same ball seat and origin of rifling as 7.62x39 so bullets can be seated out long. I don't PC either.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.