Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Flying ammo

Boolit Master

Flying ammo

I am flying from Oregon to Michigan soon. I was planning on taking some hand loads to my brother in 7mmRem Mag and 270 Win. Inquired of United Airlines what I needed to do to take the hand loads on the flight. United said hand loads were not allowed on their aircraft. Factory loads were ok in original boxes. I am going to try to ship the ammo to my brother. Fed Ex said Fed Ex Ground. Using FedEx because sister-in-law says they are to company that comes there way. Question I have is what if I wanted to go hunting in some distant place and wanted to use a wildcat caliber? How do I get ammo to the wilds of Alaska, Canada or Africa? I have a 257AI and a 348 Win that I might want to use in Alaska or Canada. For the 348 I would want to use 250 gr ammo that is no longer made commercially in US. I am sure some one here has run into this problem and am curious how you handled it?

Boolit Grand Master
    How will they know they are reloads? Put them in commercial plastic boxes and don’t mention the word reloads.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    How will they know they are reloads? Put them in commercial plastic boxes and don’t mention the word reloads.
    That's what I'd do. But make sure the head stamps of the brass match the brand on the factory box.
    Even someone that knows what they're looking at would pass them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Does FedEx ship ammo? I was sending some reloaded 40 S&W to SIL several years ago.
    FedEx wasn’t interested. UPS would ship it but had limits. It had to be in cartridge boxes ie each round separate from the rest. I think three hundred rounds max. Had to drop off at a UPS Facility, not a regular UPS store or independent shipper. Also wanted the shipping box unsealed so they could inspect.

Boolit Master

This is United's website stating requirements. It doesn't say anything about reloads or no reloads. Print out and take a copy of the webpage with you when you check your luggage. Most airline ticket agents don't have a clue about firearms and will need to be shown what their company policy is.

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/bag...equipment.html

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Does FedEx ship ammo? I was sending some reloaded 40 S&W to SIL several years ago.
    FedEx wasn’t interested. UPS would ship it but had limits. It had to be in cartridge boxes ie each round separate from the rest. I think three hundred rounds max. Had to drop off at a UPS Facility, not a regular UPS store or independent shipper. Also wanted the shipping box unsealed so they could inspect.
    No limit when I shipped some four months ago. Box weighed 60 lbs
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    This is United's website stating requirements. It doesn't say anything about reloads or no reloads. Print out and take a copy of the webpage with you when you check your luggage. Most airline ticket agents don't have a clue about firearms and will need to be shown what their company policy is.

You are 100% correct.

Firearm cases
    Firearms must be packed in a hard-sided case with a lock. The case must be locked when we receive it, and the key or combination must be with you at all times. This hard-sided case can be placed inside an unlocked soft-sided bag as long as it’s secure.
    You aren’t required to use a TSA-approved lock, but it’s recommended to help speed up security screening.
    You can pack up to 5 firearms in one case or bag. How many firearm cases or bags you can check depends on where you’re traveling to or from. Some destinations have rules about the number of bags you can bring and how much they can weigh. Each bag you check beyond your bag allowance will be subject to fees. In most cases you can check up to 9 bags total, that includes any bags you have that do not contain firearms.
    Ammunition guidelines
    Ammunition can be packed in the same container as the firearm or separately.
    Ammunition must be packed in its original container or in securely packed fiber, wood or metal containers.
    The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.
    Loaded magazines or clips must be removed from the firearm and securely packed in boxes or other packaging designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Packaging should also fit over any exposed ends of the magazine or clip.
    Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles is not allowed.
    Black powder, for black powder weapons, is considered hazardous material and can’t go in your checked baggage.

United follows the standard TSA guidelines. https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-4...art-175#175.10

(8) Small arms ammunition for personal use carried by a crewmember or passenger in checked baggage only, if securely packed in boxes or other packagings specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition clips and magazines must also be securely boxed. This paragraph does not apply to persons traveling under the provisions of 49 CFR 1544.219.

International flights may have different requirements. For US flights I believe 11 pounds is allowable for small arms ammo per person. Every time I fly to Alaska I take 11 pounds of ammo. Mostly reloads in MTM plastic ammo boxes.

https://www.usacarry.com/traveling-s...0then%20higher.

With that in mind, I visited the United Airlines’ website and the firearms section at:
    http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ge/sports.aspx. Then, I called United Airlines at 1-800-241-6522 to verify the same information the TSA agent told me and to learn United’s requirements and limitations. United Airlines limits you to 11 pounds of ammo EACH.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-05-2023 at 10:33 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I have flown with ammo twice. First time on Delta. .308 ammo in factory boxes .44 mag ammo in ammo wallets. All ammo in a plastic. 30 cal ammo can. I put bubble wrap in the extra space in the can and on top. The can was locked with a padlock. The agent never opened the can just weighed it. Delta's guidelines said factory boxes but also allowed securely packaged ammo. IMHO ammo wallets are superior to factory boxes for handgun ammo.

Second trip was a box of 9mm personal defense ammo on a domesticflight to Florida. Put it in a hard pistol case with 2 padlocks. No problem at all. The domestic flight was ok with gun and ammo in the same suitcase but international flight wanted guns and ammo in separate bags. Check first.

Be courteous to the ticket agent and tell them what you are doing. They deal with some real jerks every day. Being nice will pay dividends.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.