Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need reloading data for .452 340 cast keith plain base and .452 230 RF

Boolit Mold

Need reloading data for .452 340 cast keith plain base and .452 230 RF

I would like to be able to have some data from a book for this specific load. It will be shot from a Ruger Alaskan 454 2.5 inch, and a Smith & Wesson 460V 5-inch

I would like to get the Keith load up to about 1200 ft per second in the Alaskan.

I would like to get the 230 grain plain base about 2,000 ft per second if possible, from the 460 V from a 460 casing.

Can anyone post some printed data?

"I would like to get the Keith load up to about 1200 ft per second in the Alaskan."

In a 2.5 barrel? lol

Boolit Mold
    Proverbs 17:28
    Even fools are thought wise when they keep silent;
    with their mouths shut, they seem intelligent.

Sorry not meant to be a ass but a 2.5 barrel is NOT long enough to get the speed you are asking about if someone has a SAFE load love to see it.
    It is not possible at that weight and short barrel IMHO

Hodgons site maybe doable check it out. BUT IS 10 inch barrel so max 1900 fps in a 2.5??? maybe 1200?
    cool great balls of fire

Twist: 1:20.000"
    Barrel Length: 10.743"
    Trim Length: 1.790"
    Bullet Weight
    335 GR. CPB WLN GC
    Case
    Starline
    Primer
    Winchester LRM, Large Rifle Magnum
    Starting Load Maximum Loads
    Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
    Winchester 296 Buy now 0.452" 2.180" 38.0 1,790 46,100 PSI 41.0 1,917 55,800 PSI

From my SRH Toklat 454C, 5", NOE 454-350 boolit is a 333 grain hp.
    my labradar shows average of 1,280 fps, sd=12.1, es=26 with 25gr H4227 or 1230, sd=19.5, es=40 with 24.0 gr of H4227. This is NOT the IMR powder.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Mold
    As close to 1200 as possible is great. I will be using h110. I will be using that for both the 230 grain and the 340. Finding any data for 340 seems to be ridiculously impossible.

Boolit Mold
    This is an interesting video for the 460V
    It is a custom load video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGU9hKTGCuQ

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Xvs950t View Post
    I would like to be able to have some data from a book for this specific load. It will be shot from a Ruger Alaskan 454 2.5 inch, and a Smith & Wesson 460V 5-inch

I would like to get the Keith load up to about 1200 ft per second in the Alaskan.

I would like to get the 230 grain plain base about 2,000 ft per second if possible, from the 460 V from a 460 casing.

Can anyone post some printed data?
    Welcome to the forum.

Feel free to put some info in your profile so we can get to know you a little bit.
    Those loads in those short barreled hand cannons are gonna be some wrist wreckers, foo sur ...but I commend you on using H110, it's likely the best powder to achieve your goal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    This is an interesting video for the 460V
    It is a custom load video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGU9hKTGCuQ

This has so.e verified data by loaders with 44 mag and 454 casull Alaskans

https://www.rugerforum.com/threads/f...2#post-1127849

Boolit Mold
    I started loading 44 mags in the very beginning of my reloading. I was recommended to use h110. That is all I know about and all I have ever used. I would like to be able to get that little revolver up to that 1200 range. So if I need to change powders that is not an issue. I am looking online and cannot find the max saami on the srh 454A. Any help would be nice. Then I know what I can work with better. Still need to get a chrono. But right now in Arizona we are in a fire ban. So no shooting at this point.
    Last edited by Xvs950t; 08-06-2023 at 10:01 PM.

Boolit Mold
    But what is going to be the difference between a 335 grain and a 340 grain as far as data?

I think in a Lead bullet not much difference Jacketed maybe more
    look over the hodgons site may give some clues if you load max you may get close but wow what a fireball.

Moderator Emeritus

Finding any data for 340 seems to be ridiculously impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xvs950t View Post
    But what is going to be the difference between a 335 grain and a 340 grain as far as data?
    My guess is data specific to the Lee 340 does not exist, for a couple reasons. One, it's overly heavy for caliber. Two, Lee doesn't generate data via testing, they steal it from others, so with no support from the only entity that can profit from generated data, no one else is likely to do it.
    >The following is what us castbooliteers do...good luck.
    When you can't find specific published data for a certain boolit, sometimes you have to just make an educated guess.
    Lyman CBHB#4 has H110 data for the 460, for 300gr cast and 325gr cast. When you look at the min and max of each, you can surmise a reasonable starting load for a 340gr cast, then work up to where you start seeing the beginning signs of excessive pressure, if you are looking for Max load with your specific gun.
    * Be sure to read the warnings about H110 in your Hodgdon manual, or online.
    A couple things to think about:
    H110 likes a powder fill to near case capacity because of it's poor ignitability. A good practice when guessing at a H110 starting load is to know the case capacity with the boolit seated to the crimp groove. This gives you a double check to know your guess is in the ballpark. If your starting load guess is below 80% case capacity, you need to reconsider, because H110 can be dangerous in straight wall cases when fill is less than 80%. Of course, a Mag primer and heavy crimp are usually required also.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 08-07-2023 at 08:50 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Yeah what Jon said and HOLD ON TIGHT the muzzle blast will knock off your sneakers LOL