Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data

Thread: 405 Win cast boolits?

Boolit Bub

405 Win cast boolits?

anyone cast for the 405 Winchester. I read a bit that .413 work better.

I have a modern 405 1895

Look, I don't want to be seen as overly harsh, but if you are serious about wanting to shoot cast bullets accurately, there are a few basic steps you need to take. Don't ask others to guess what's best for your rifle. You must drive a soft lead slug down the bore and measure the results yourself. Then cast or size slugs 0.001 to 0.003 larger than that. A little over is needed, but never under. Every rifle bore is different, whether cut/formed, whether it was created 100 years ago or yesterday. Variations, variations, abound, whether across calibers or across similar rifles from the same manufacturer. You have to slug your bore (Period)!

Now, that being said, my Miroku M1895 .405 slugs at .412 to maybe .4125, so I size to .413.
    Last edited by muskeg13; 08-03-2023 at 05:26 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I'll slug the bore. I've search but have come up empty on 405 info/posts here.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition has data for one boolit Lyman # 412263 , a 288 gr. RN . The test firearm was a Universal Receiver , barrel bore diameter .412" and boolits sized to .413". and loads are shown with 8 different powders ... and that's all she wrote !

You don't see too many 405 Winchester rifles or reloaders and probably why you aren't finding much info ... kind of an odd cartridge ... I wish I had one in a single shot rifle like a Ruger #1... that would be fun .

Slug your bore to make sure of size ... but the modern made 405's should be bored at .412" ...but these days you can never tell and slugging the bore beats guessing
    ...Seven Ways To Sunday !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

…You don't see too many 405 Winchester rifles or reloaders and probably why you aren't finding much info ... kind of an odd cartridge ... I wish I had one in a single shot rifle like a Ruger #1... that would be fun …
    Gary

I wish I had the forethought to have ER Shaw rework my Siamese Mauser to 405 WCF instead of the worthless 45-70!

But, this does help make up for that mistake,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	106094FF-28BA-4EF8-9F23-6AD809029D94.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	316618

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by richj View Post
    I'll slug the bore. I've search but have come up empty on 405 info/posts here.
    Try a search outside the forum written as: "loading cast in 405 winchester castboolits" or similar, the forum search may have limited your search time or terms. Searching via an outside search engine sometimes get you better results.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...405-Winchester

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...pistol-bullets

This will hopefully get you started.

Good Luck.

Boolit Mold
    I have one of the 1895's from the Miroku Winchesters in 405 win, it's a takedown model I picked up in a consignment auction for $450, and I cast for it using an NOE 412-360 gc. I powder coat these and they work very well, deer drop on the spot, may try them on elk next.

Boolit Master

Dimensioned view of bullet 41-330C
    I struggle at posting pictures but Accurate molds has a good selection for the .405 Win.
    I designed the 41-330C with a bore riding nose for my 1885 Highwall. Works great!
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Both examples in the picture work well in my Miroku M1895 .405. The gas checked bullet is a RCBS .416-350-FN that comes in at about 360 gr lubed and checked with my alloy. The Rapine (out of business now I think) 300 gr actually dropped at 292gr. Both were sized .413. I didn't have a Rapine slug to show because I shot all them all up last week, using 60gr by volume of Hodgdon 777 FFG that gave ~ 3 inch groups at 100 yds with aperture sights.

Lyman 42d Edition (1960) gives the following info, and the current Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition gives even more data with modern powders, but for copyright reasons I'm not posting it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3512.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	316664 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.405.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	316665