Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep from losing auto pistol brass

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Check CMM Shooting sports and look at a brass catcher. When I started shooting Bullseye I didn't have the money for one of those brass catchers but
    made one out of copper tube and a laundry bag for a net to catch the brass. I will try and take a picture and post it later.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bullseye setup.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	316551
    The brass catcher is not setup when this picture was taken but it is a simple concept to keep the brass in one place.
    Last edited by LenH; 08-01-2023 at 01:56 PM. Reason: add picture

Boolit Master
    I never found a solution for this that I was happy with. That's one reason why my 380s and 9mms moved along and were replaced with revolvers.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

At the club where I shoot, many of the members use these catch nets that strap onto your shooting hand. I personally wouldn't use one, but a lot of people seem to like them.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

I used to headphone my 10 year old with his catcher mitt to my rear and right, he never dropped a one. Having a hard time to get him to do it anymore. Now that he's 53.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy
    I solved the problem by shooting revolvers . But for a while 9mm was cheaper to buy factory than to reload until a supply of brass was accumulated. It helps to start with clean shiny brass.
    For the last 10 years or so I've been playing with SS and lever rifles so chasing brass has not been a problem.

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    This gives me some ideas, Might have to try bribing gran kids with a Dairy Queen Reward,
    Thank you all

Boolit Master
    When I did shoot semi-autos I just picked up the brass. Most of the time I only lost about 10%. Back in those days I had a ready access to as much .45acp as I wanted so losing a few wasn't a big deal. Losing brass was one of the major reasons I sold my .32 acp. I'd lose a quarter of them each range visit. Got too expensive. I even tried raking the shooting area ahead of time for a more consistent surface. It did work better, but, still tiresome.

Only shooting a box or two at a time was not worth the time to lay out a tarp. Out here the wind is almost always gusting 20mph or more so tarps have to be staked down (8 minimum). If the wind got under one even a little it would balloon up and toss the brass everywhere. Stand up nets/tarps? I was lucky if my targets stayed standing in the wind. A net would be miles away in no time. A friend tried one of those blow up pools with some rocks to hold it down. Kinda worked, until the guns heated up and the brass melted the plastic

Boolit Buddy
    I use a brass picker, it saves the back from bending over. A person is never going to get all their brass, loosing some is part of the game.

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Weasel...s%2C485&sr=8-5

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    Lay down a cheap Harbors Freight tarp or a sheet out of the linen closet.
    This.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master

I built a 4'x4'x3' brass catcher out of 1"x2" wood and an surplus mosquito net for about $10.00. It catches almost all our brass.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    I built a 4'x4'x3' brass catcher out of 1"x2" wood and an surplus mosquito net for about $10.00. It catches almost all our brass.
    Can you post a picture of your design?

I used to worry but since I started shooting IDPA, I get all the service caliber brass I want to pickup. The only stuff I scrounge hard is my 10mm. Outdoors, many use a tarp. Indoors, I shoot next to the wall so I can recover most of my brass.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    I use a three pronged method; (you're probably picturing some kind of cool three pronged rake) -- nope

Prong #1- when I see a great deal on used brass, I get it.
    Prong #2- I spend a reasonable amount of time finding the brass I fire, but don't kill myself.
    Prong #3- When I find where a non-reloader has been shooting, I pick their brass, but don't kill myself at it.

Every so often I'll have a quantity of brass collected that I don't use, and I'll sell or trade it on one of the forums to get brass that I do use. jd
    Exactly, except where I shoot so many people leave their brass laying around I have never gotten to Prong #1 (I shoot 9mm & 45 auto in semi-auto)
    Hick: Iron sights!

Super Moderator

I must be gettin' old, because I really hate stooping over to pick up my brass any more. Where I shoot, the brass is way too easy to lose, or way too hard to find, which ever you prefer. At first I would use a tarp when shooting in the snow, but now I'm using my revolvers mostly all the time. Makes finding my brass a LOT easier. Dump it out and put in a baggie and done.

Boolit Mold
    Yeah, shooting in the desert, I'm going to lose some brass, but not a lot.[1911-A1] Then, I bought a Pietta 1873 revolver in.45 Colt that came with a .45 auto cylinder.
    Talk about win-win! Still have scads of .45 auto brass, but, I'm not losing any unless I shoot my 1911. Bliss!

A couple times a year I spend a couple hours and pick up after the USPSA match. I end up getting as much brass as I left or more.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Tarps and brass catchers...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Can you post a picture of your design?
    I will take some pictures in the morning and try to post them.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

It’s easy at present here because the dormant grass is only a half inch tall due to no rainfall.
    I shoot my .380 over the gravel well road to find those little guys.
    9mm brass is sometimes found months later and sometimes it’s not- not a big deal.
    Same with .40 S&W- the Shield throws that brass FAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

basically you don't, which is why I switched to revolvers and dumped my semi-autos.....except for .22s
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast