RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: What bore solvent(s)?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hoppe's No. 9

49 48.04%
  • Hoppe's Benchrest Copper solvent

7 6.86%
  • Shooter's Choice MC #7

14 13.73%
  • JB-Non Embedding Compound

8 7.84%
  • Break-Free CLP

7 6.86%
  • Sweet's 7.62

13 12.75%
  • Barnes CR-10

1 0.98%
  • Shooter's Choice Maximum Strength Copper Remover

3 2.94%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best Bore Solvent?

Best Bore Solvent?

Separate thread. I've always used No. 9, but then I've been shooting cast 95% of the time. So including either a one-pass carbon and copper fouling cleaner, or a carbon cleaner, dry patch, then copper solvent. More than one choice is therefore allowed. Please explain your choice(s).
    -Paul

Sorry, looks like I forget to give multiple choice and I can't change it. Feel free to discuss in general.
    -Paul

Shooter's Choice MC #7 is my favorite general bore solvent. My favorite copper remover is Bore Tech Copper Remover however I have an old version which I believe is no longer made. Not sure what I'll switch to when I run out. Not looking forward to that day. And for hard carbon deposits in the neck area at the case mouth JB Bore Paste works best so far. All results verified with a bore scope. I highly recommend one. You don't need a high-cost Hawkeye. The cheap Teslong scopes work very well for cleaning verifications.

Boolit Master
    Bore Teck eliminator; Best copper remover and general cleaning, #9 second best for general cleaning.

Boolit Master

I shoot a lot of .308 bullets in 300WinMag, 30-06, and .308 Winchester made from 5/16" Copper Tubing. Sweets 7.62 does a good job of removing any copper residue in the barrel.

I use a lot of Hoppes #9 for cast boolits shot in rifle and pistol. Does a good job of cleaning powder fouling/residue. After 5 decades I have decided it works for me.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Banned
    For just cast bullets I use Ed's Red or or or Hoppe's simply because it has a nice smell. For bore fouled with copper or bullet jacket alloy I use Montana Extreme, but I warn you it has a high content of Ammonia and best to use it outdoor and wear rubber gloves. It works really well.

Ed's Red both performance + cost wise -jmho
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Kroil

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    For just cast bullets I use Ed's Red or or or Hoppe's simply because it has a nice smell. For bore fouled with copper or bullet jacket alloy I use Montana Extreme, but I warn you it has a high content of Ammonia and best to use it outdoor and wear rubber gloves. It works really well.
    Thanks. I'm becoming leery of the JB compound simply because it's a mechanical abrasive. Because I've only used the Hoppe's BR Cu solvent, too, I don't have any experience with the stronger CU solvents. Do you use the Montana Extreme .50 bmg solvent, and if so, is that only if for some reason you have pretty severe CU fouling, or do you (or would you) use it as a general maintenance solvent, for copper removal? And what do you do afterward - (1) run a dry patch, then some sort of oil (e.g., Kroil or M.E.'s own bore conditioner oil), (2) dry patch, then bore solvent like No. 9, then dry patch (I don't generally leave anything in the bore, including any oil)?
    -Paul

Thanks guys. As intimated above I'm taking a pass on the JB Compound and due to the expense, probably taking a pass on the Bore Tech Eliminator for now - not looking for competitive shooting, just good removal for good bore health and adequate to hunting needs. Still open to the Bore Tech, though, if folks think the dollar/value is worth it for these (field) purposes.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Thanks guys. As intimated above I'm taking a pass on the JB Compound and due to the expense, probably taking a pass on the Bore Tech Eliminator for now - not looking for competitive shooting, just good removal for good bore health and adequate to hunting needs. Still open to the Bore Tech, though, if folks think the dollar/value is worth it for these (field) purposes.
    If you're thinking about Boretech Carbon Remover C4 I will add that I have not been impressed at all with it's cleaning. Unfortunately, many shooters think that if the patches come out clean after only a couple of passes with a solvent that means it works really well. Not so. The only thing clean patches tell you is nothing is being removed from the bore, not nothing is left in the bore. This is why I promote the use of bore scopes. It's the ONLY way you know because it's the only way you can see.

Edit to add - if you're only shooting cast you do not need a copper remover provided you removed all old copper fouling prior to going exclusively to cast which you should do.

No poll valid that does not include Ed's Red. As good as any I have ever used and better that most.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    No poll valid that does not include Ed's Red. As good as any I have ever used and better that most.
    OK, sorry. I'd heard the name but thought we we're talking about a bullet lube. Just looked it up, and will give it a try. Do you use this as a carbon fouling solvent only? Not on action, right?
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    If you're thinking about Boretech Carbon Remover C4 I will add that I have not been impressed at all with it's cleaning. Unfortunately, many shooters think that if the patches come out clean after only a couple of passes with a solvent that means it works really well. Not so. The only thing clean patches tell you is nothing is being removed from the bore, not nothing is left in the bore. This is why I promote the use of bore scopes. It's the ONLY way you know because it's the only way you can see.

Edit to add - if you're only shooting cast you do not need a copper remover provided you removed all old copper fouling prior to going exclusively to cast which you should do.
    Thanks. I was talking about this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...IVVO8E7Q&psc=1

-I am not sure if that's just meant for bore cleaning carbon fouling - is this the C4 you're talking about?

-on the cast, thanks, there, I think I'm pretty good with the No. 9, though I would like to try Shooter's World too. This is my 45-70, and it's never seen anything but cast bullets. I use Gun Scrubber on the actions of all my rifles, but that's another thread.
    -Paul

Thanks. I was talking about this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...IVVO8E7Q&psc=1

-I am not sure if that's just meant for bore cleaning carbon fouling - is this the C4 you're talking about?

-on the cast, thanks, there, I think I'm pretty good with the No. 9, though I would like to try Shooter's World too. This is my 45-70, and it's never seen anything but cast bullets. I use Gun Scrubber on the actions of all my rifles, but that's another thread.
    The product you linked to is Boretech Eliminator. Many people speak highly of it but I have personally not tried it so I don't have a personal opinion of it.

Many people speak highly of Boretech Carbon Remover C4 and frankly I think spit would do just as much so I haven't wanted to try the Eliminator. Might be good stuff but I'm very skeptical at this point.

Edit to add - Ed's Red does work quite well for cast bullet applications but it's a mix-your-own formula that results in quite a lot of solvent. If you don't want to buy and store larger quantities of solvents then it might not be your best choice.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 07-31-2023 at 03:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have one, of many, A .308 target rifle, weather I put one round down range or shoot a big match ( 100 + rounds ) it will take me a long while to get all the copper out, I have tried every kind of copper remover, chemical or electrolysis and keep coming back to Bore Teck eliminator. With my .22 free pistol., after a big match, I got sick and it was a couple weeks before I got to cleaning it, heavily leaded, couple of wet swabs of Bore Teck and let soak for about 5 minutes and pushed a dry patch through, leading just fell out. I use Bore Teck on all my guns, competition or hunting, I use #9 on my black powder substitute guns. I have no need for anything else, regardless of the cost, time wise it works for me.... An oil patch with a few dry patches then storage.

Boolit Master
    Opening this thread, the only uncertainty I had was whether Ed's Red would beat out Hoppe's #9. :shrug:

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Opening this thread, the only uncertainty I had was whether Ed's Red would beat out Hoppe's #9. :shrug:
    the current #9 is a completely different than the original formula + jmho it lost much performance with the several ingredient changes over the years -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    The product you linked to is Boretech Eliminator. Many people speak highly of it but I have personally not tried it so I don't have a personal opinion of it.

Many people speak highly of Boretech Carbon Remover C4 and frankly I think spit would do just as much so I haven't wanted to try the Eliminator. Might be good stuff but I'm very skeptical at this point.

Edit to add - Ed's Red does work quite well for cast bullet applications but it's a mix-your-own formula that results in quite a lot of solvent. If you don't want to buy and store larger quantities of solvents then it might not be your best choice.
    I don't see ATF and mineral spirits as bad solvents. Unless you're cleaning shotguns you use plastic shot cups in you don't need Acetone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Thing is with Ed's Red you're just cleaing out powder carbon and bullet lube. It may lift some lead off the bore, but you really shouldn't have any of that right? It's not for jacketed. It also leaves a light oil preservative on your bore depending on how well you wipe it out.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast