• non-chlorinated brake cleaner

14 30.43%
  • CLP Spray

2 4.35%
  • Other (Specify)

16 34.78%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best action cleaner?

If you keep it away from stock finish and any plastic parts(and your eyes!)- Berryman B12 spray carburetor cleaner does a great job on actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Just don't let your Drill Sergeant catch you hosing out your M16... Ask me how I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If you keep it away from stock finish and any plastic parts(and your eyes!)- Berryman B12 spray carburetor cleaner does a great job on actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Moderator Emeritus

Without any question or doubt: G96! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G96.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	317065

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Great, thanks. The local Advanced Auto has Dexron III, but I don't know if that and ATF III are the same. The girl at the store, after consulting with her colleague, said "yeah, like we don't know, like, the differences between transmission oils (yes, she kept saying "oils")," so, like, I don't know if this is acceptable in Ed's Red. Will Dexron III work?

Same stuff. If your Auto Parts folks don’t know that Dexron is an “Automatic Transmission Fluid”, aka ATF, then maybe you should change stores.
    Sam Sackett

There are probably more than one correct answer but I still go with old reliable Hoppe’s #9.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Ed's Red mixed WITHOUT the acetone, in pump sprayer, scrub surfaces with paint brush followed by compressed air.
    ^^this

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    PB Blast or Ed's Red . Have used Diesel fuel , Gas , Kerosene , all work.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

Ed's Red Bore / Gun Cleaner gets my vote ... I roll with Acetone even though the "Man" said without acetone ... I like to live dangerously .

The ATF you want to use - General Motors Compatable ... Non- Synthetic , I had a synthetic ATF refuse to mix with the other 3 ingredients ! Regular , standard ATF mixes and stays mixed ... avoid the synthetic stuff like the plague !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

#9. The smell always takes me back to hunting camp in the North East New England swamps. Schools back then had a +50% vacancy rate for boys that first week of deer season. No-one cared as teachers would always assign work to do when you were "sick" in advance. First question back on Monday was "you get your deer"? If you did, I did once, the entire class was left to their own devices as you described blow by blow the entire thing.

Ed's without the acetone works just as well and I have a 48oz coffee can full of used ATF to make it with but that #9 smell.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Ballistol, easy on your guns finish and your hands.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Ed's Red Bore / Gun Cleaner gets my vote ... I roll with Acetone even though the "Man" said without acetone ... I like to live dangerously .

The ATF you want to use - General Motors Compatable ... Non- Synthetic , I had a synthetic ATF refuse to mix with the other 3 ingredients ! Regular , standard ATF mixes and stays mixed ... avoid the synthetic stuff like the plague !

Gary
    LOL, and I have had great luck with the synthetic stuff. The quart I have now says III/IV.

Dexron III(F) was dino based.

"Released in December 1998, GM's Dexron-III (G) specification (GM6417M) was a synthetic blend automatic transmission fluid, especially developed to address the VCCC shuddering issue. "

Deep cleaning is simple green in the sonic bath round here

Boolit Grand Master
    Second the B-12 Chemtool, but will also add that if you have any cuts that you know about (or don't know about), the Chemtool will get those pain receptors firing wildly!!!

Boolit Master

Mineral spirits, scrub it with a new chip brush or your old tooth brush, blow it out with an air compressor, soak it down with your favorite lube and blow it out again to remove the excess oil/lube.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I'm gonna point this out and you do with it what you will. I just looking for you to think about this. Go to the nail polish aisle of Walmart or where ever you get your nail polish. Pick up a odd shaped for the aisle bottle of NAIL POLISH REMOVER. Check the ingredients or pop the cap and sniff that rascal. Yeap, that's acetone for sure. We keep hearing how bad it is and you need to wear gloves. Now how are you going to remove nail polish with gloves covering your nails? Momma don't head for a hazmat suit to remove or add nail polish. Try telling her it's unhealthy to get them nails done. I ain't saying to make a hog wallow through to roll in it.

Gunsmith I know uses the metal flake version of nail polish as his sealing marker to ID his work like the trigger adjustment screws on a customer's rifle. Stands up to gun oils, cleaning rags, and the occasional repurposed teethbrush (I got family from WV but not all of them). It's his liability assurance that it's his work.

Hope I didn't mess up anybody's weekend.

Boolit Buddy
    Used Hoppes for years ... does the job on barrel and actions ... not too aggressive ... the solvents that remove copper fouling also often remove steel ... I want some copper fouling in my barrels ... they shoot better that way ... and I just plain like the smell of the stuff ... I sometimes use non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner to rinse the crud out of my BLR actions without having to strip them down because those BLR gear driven actions can be a headache to reassemble ... my BLRs are takedowns and easy to clean ... just remove the barrel and stock and rinse into a pail until the cleaner runs clear
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I use automotive oils on a rag. My preference is (hopefully already sitting nearby?) synthetic engine or transmission oil. Scrub scrub wipe. Spray with rem oil. Wipe again. Done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12