14 30.43%
  • CLP Spray

2 4.35%
  • Other (Specify)

16 34.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best action cleaner?

Best action cleaner?

Just poking about for something to use other than Gun Scrubber on rifle actions. Including, whether non-chlorinated brake cleaner (e.g., Walmart's) is functionally the same as Gun Scrubber. Note this is for actions only, not bore.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Bore Teck eliminator, then sentetick gun oil, #9 second choice

Thanks. Do you mean your second choice for action cleaning would be No. 9? Thinking about the Bore Tech, but a bit pricey.
    -Paul

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Just poking about for something to use other than Gun Scrubber on rifle actions. Including, whether non-chlorinated brake cleaner (e.g., Walmart's) is functionally the same as Gun Scrubber. Note this is for actions only, not bore.
    Punched it into the internet and it said that Gun Scrubber is very much like brake cleaner. You can buy non-chlorinated brake cleaner if you look for it as you noted.

Boolit Buddy
    For general cleaning I use a subset of Ed's Red. 1/3rd each of ATF, mineral spirits, and kerosene. It is so inexpensive can put the part(s) to be cleaned into a pan and let them soak. Then a tooth brush to do any required scrubbing. Then put the fluid back into the container for the next time.

The parts can drip dry a bit then a wipe with a paper towel and put back into use.

Note that the solution will evaporate, so a cover over the pan is helpful.

45_Colt

Ed's Red, stiff brush, + compressed air -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Thanks. Do you mean your second choice for action cleaning would be No. 9? Thinking about the Bore Tech, but a bit pricey.
    You get what you pay for ? A couple drops of Bore Tech goes a long way. IMHO.

Boolit Master
    Depends whether it is an old, new to me rifle, that I am detail stripping for a real clean-up - I will wet the action and parts with some penetrating oil - CLP, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, maybe Goop Hand Cleaner - let it set a day or two - wipe everything down with coarse paper towel, toothpicks, Q-tips, pipe cleaners,modified popsicle/craft sticks as required - maybe repeat a time or two until all old dirt and hardened oil is gone, rub any corrosion with steel or bronze wool, then use spray can brake cleaner to clean all parts, let dry and oil or grease as appropriate. Rifles that have had such cleaning but have been out in the dust, dirt and weather or are being prepped for the hunt get stripped of stock, maybe CLP or some oily penetrating solvent, Liquid Wrench, Ed's Red, PB Blaster leave for a day - hit with spray brake cleaner, let dry, then oil and grease with your favorite brand of oil and grease as appropriate. Rain or snow wipe down, dry bore (even when taped) set in warm dry place ( if possible).

Boolit Master
    My vote is the generic go to of #9 which suits 90% of my needs. I do have up on the shelf CLP, Otis, Outers and a couple of others (still got my bottles of MILTEC and Slick2000), they all work to a degree though nothing has been the magic bullet for cleaning everything.

In my military days other than the generic maintenance shop solvent tank and CLP by the 55 gallon drum the most effective device we had a demo on was a small pinpoint steam cleaner that took off everything but the bluing/parkerizing, the downside all the guns started to rust up almost immediately as the once protective build up of oil was completely stripped.

Boolit Grand Master
    Better not get brake cleaner on the finish of a wood gun stock ! !

OK thanks, guys, I'd missed the responses. I think I am done with the GS (or non-CL brake cleaner), just don't want its potential downsides. This is a duplicate of another thread. Again, thinking for action only (I should add, receiver and magazine and any tight internal crevices on bolts and levers). What do you guys think:

"I think I want to end my use of either Gun Scrubber or a non-CL brake cleaner, just not comfortable with it's possible effects otherwise. So still looking for a way to blast out actions as well as the aerosol GS does, without the issues. Not as forceful, but what about Ed's Red in a pump aerosol bottle? Or just Eliminator, same thing?"
    -Paul

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Ed's Red mixed WITHOUT the acetone, in pump sprayer, scrub surfaces with paint brush followed by compressed air.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Ed's Red mixed WITHOUT the acetone, in pump sprayer, scrub surfaces with paint brush followed by compressed air.
    Great, thanks. The local Advanced Auto has Dexron III, but I don't know if that and ATF III are the same. The girl at the store, after consulting with her colleague, said "yeah, like we don't know, like, the differences between transmission oils (yes, she kept saying "oils")," so, like, I don't know if this is acceptable in Ed's Red. Will Dexron III work?
    -Paul

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    My vote is the generic go to of #9 which suits 90% of my needs. I do have up on the shelf CLP, Otis, Outers and a couple of others (still got my bottles of MILTEC and Slick2000), they all work to a degree though nothing has been the magic bullet for cleaning everything.

In my military days other than the generic maintenance shop solvent tank and CLP by the 55 gallon drum the most effective device we had a demo on was a small pinpoint steam cleaner that took off everything but the bluing/parkerizing, the downside all the guns started to rust up almost immediately as the once protective build up of oil was completely stripped.
    I am surprised you didn't use a bit of PD680. Worked like a champ on the M-60 I inherited. (why is it the big guy always gets tasked with the '60?)
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Great, thanks. The local Advanced Auto has Dexron III, but I don't know if that and ATF III are the same. The girl at the store, after consulting with her colleague, said "yeah, like we don't know, like, the differences between transmission oils (yes, she kept saying "oils")," so, like, I don't know if this is acceptable in Ed's Red. Will Dexron III work?
    Yes.

Dexron is GM's trade name. ATF III is the same as Dexron III.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

OK thanks, guys, I'd missed the responses. I think I am done with the GS (or non-CL brake cleaner), just don't want its potential downsides. This is a duplicate of another thread. Again, thinking for action only (I should add, receiver and magazine and any tight internal crevices on bolts and levers). What do you guys think:

"I think I want to end my use of either Gun Scrubber or a non-CL brake cleaner, just not comfortable with it's possible effects otherwise. So still looking for a way to blast out actions as well as the aerosol GS does, without the issues. Not as forceful, but what about Ed's Red in a pump aerosol bottle? Or just Eliminator, same thing?"
    If you want some force behind your solvent, perhaps use a hobbyist airbrush?

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    You get what you pay for ? A couple drops of Bore Tech goes a long way. IMHO.
    Sorry, missed this. Was thinking of just using a 12 gauge mop to get inside everywhere, then blasting dry. Yes?
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Yes.
    OK, thanks.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    If you want some force behind your solvent, perhaps use a hobbyist airbrush?
    Not a bad idea, though I think as usual I'm probably overthinking it. Thanks as well on the Dexron III info.
    -Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast