Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loaded Magtech Brass 410 today

Boolit Buddy

Loaded Magtech Brass 410 today

As the title says, I loaded up a couple today. Used 296 and titegroup. Titegroup gave me the least unburned powder of the two. Cci 300, powder, nitro card, shot (1/2oz) and another card on that. Primer looked a little flat on the titegroup. Averaged about 20 pellets in a pizza box at 27 yds. A Lee FCD with guts removed worked well at resizing only because I have a Pointer brand that is tight chambered. It's the only one out of 3 guns the case wouldn't fit after firing. A 45acp case As a punch makes cards to fit tight. The case looks dimpled from the outside in (weird like shot hit outside). I believe I'm going to try some shot cup wads of some sort and try cushion wad at least next time with a shot wrapper of some sort. I had a shell holder that has a # 5 on it that worked well

Interesting. I've got to get some .410 brass shells. I've got some 12 Ga. that I'll be loading before long. What size shot were you using?

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Interesting. I've got to get some .410 brass shells. I've got some 12 Ga. that I'll be loading before long. What size shot were you using?

DG
    I think number 8. I had cut open some shells and dumped them in a container for speer shot capsule use and don't remember. Might be 9.

Boolit Buddy
    Another note is the primers were very stiff to seat. I also made some shot cups/wrap out of some very thin plastic sheet but for the price I think I'll order some and seat them over nitro card wada I'll punch out but in a pinch I have an untested design that will fit.
    Edit: here is how I done it. https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/t...s-wads.108030/

Boolit Bub
    Magtech is one of the most underrated hulls available, easy to load, cheap to load, no special tools. Sometimes I use a Federal .410SC shotcup, it is a loose fit but I just put it over an fiber wad and it seems to work fine. Good Luck Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. I'm thinking the dimples may have come from not having any type of cushion underneath shot but it's odd it looks dimpled from out side in.

Boolit Master
    Ballistic Products Inc probably have shot protector wads that would work for you. Shotgun reloading is their thing.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah I seen the mylar wraps. Pondering on something that I can use/transfer on pistol shot shells so keep lead smearing down on rifling as well. I emailed them and they don't have any oversized wads to work with the magtech cases.

Boolit Buddy
    circlefly.com has all kinds of fiber wads

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by besk View Post
    circlefly.com has all kinds of fiber wads
    Thanks. I'm going to have to take up some space somehow.

Some good information here on loading Magtech brass 410’s. This will be one of my winter projects.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/B...ls-/42-522803/

Boolit Master
    Winter, I can hardly wait....little warm down here in South Fla.

Boolit Bub
    I haven't found anything that is reliable in a brass hull. In my testing all the standard 410 wads are too small and do not flare out consistently to seal and give reliable performance. I tried reworking them with only a minor improvement. Then I remembered the paper gas seals used in the early Winchester plastic hulls at thought that might work. I made a tool that converts 12 gauge over shot cards into paper gas seals that work very well. I have aa video but can't upload it so here is a picture of the finished cups with hulls from 9.3x74R cases.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	410 hulls for testing with paper gas wads small.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	316580
    The holes in the hulls match the gas pressure port in the test barrel. Thanks, Squid Boy

Boolit Man
    I am reloading reformed 303 brass with circle fly 45 cal wads from "Track of the wolf", they seal up very well with a charge of 2400.Loading 1/2 oz of shot and getting good patterns with a Savage 24 -w- 20 inch cyl. bore barrel. Its a project gun with 2 sets of barrels. Round ball load is next, after I build a set of sights.This 20 inch barrel set will be rechambered to 22 magnum.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl54 View Post
    I am reloading reformed 303 brass with circle fly 45 cal wads from "Track of the wolf", they seal up very well with a charge of 2400.Loading 1/2 oz of shot and getting good patterns with a Savage 24 -w- 20 inch cyl. bore barrel. Its a project gun with 2 sets of barrels. Round ball load is next, after I build a set of sights.This 20 inch barrel set will be rechambered to 22 magnum.
    I'd like to find some 2400. Are you using any type of shot cup/was or shot wrap?

Boolit Buddy
    Are they .450 or .455 wads?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    I'd like to find some 2400. Are you using any type of shot cup/was or shot wrap?
    I am loading- powder charge,1/8 inch hard card wad,3/8 inch waxed fiber wad,poster board wad(to keep shot from imbeding in waxed wad),1/2 ounce(cut down 45 colt case dipper),and poster board over shot wad- glued in with wood glue( tight bond).Just checked my notes, powder charge is 14.0 grains 2400,circle fly wads are 44cal(waxed by me with red cheese wax-I save it to color my bullet lube),all my other wads are cut by me with a .455 dia.wad punch, 303 brass cases when blown out make 2.25 inch long cases, I press in wads with about 10 pounds of pressure after they are seated in the case. Look up Ed Harris article "How to make and load all brass 410 shot shells.I get a good improved cyl. pattern at 20 yards with a 20 inch barrel. The model 24 I have is a early model and the short 20 inch(I got them with pretty severe rust in the first 2 inches of the barrels)have a tapered bore, .418 at the end of the chamber,.414 about 9 to 10 inches up the barrel, and .411 at the new muzzle( measured with plug gauges),I cut off 4 inches.
    Last edited by Earl54; 08-04-2023 at 08:52 PM. Reason: more information

Boolit Man
    Brokeasajoke - I went to my notes and the "Circle fly" wads are 44cal and the rest of the wads are cut with a( just measured it .455) 45cal marked wad punch.

Boolit Buddy
    Brokeasajoke - I went to my notes and the "Circle fly" wads are 44cal and the rest of the wads are cut with a( just measured it .455) 45cal marked wad punch.

Thanks. I've read over the Ed Harris article.

Boolit Buddy
    Tried again today with some claybuster 410 wads. 6gr titegroup, 2 nitro cards, one cardboard wad, claybuster with 1/2oz shot then 2 more cards Elmer glued over shot. At 25yds with a pointer brand 410 it put 26 #8 pellets in a 8.5"x8.5" side of a box. I think I'm going to back off a half grain on charge and try again. Couldn't get any pics to upload. I'm using a Sinclair arbor press to compress the charge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast