RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oldest gun you have you bought yourself

Boolit Grand Master

1956 Winchester model 64 in 30/30, now rebored to 35-30/30.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

A model 99 22 Savage Hi-Power. No idea when it was made, but it was the communal deer camp gun when my dad was a kid, and it had already been around a while at that point. Should have a 1917 complete here this summer or fall, but that's been sporterized with a new barrel and stock, so that hardly counts.

Boolit Buddy
    S&W model 19-3 6 inch barrel Combat Magnum bought at the Fort Ord BX 1969. Used it two years in Vietnam. I didn't know anything about firearms back then, if I had been smart I'd have gotten a Browning Highpower or a Model 59. If I had been really smart I would have saved my money and carried more rifle ammunition instead of a revolver. It's in the safe with real ivory grips. I haven't shot it in years. It's supposed to be buried with me.
    Last edited by HarryT; 07-30-2023 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Grand Master

I purchased an 1884 Trapdoor in 1971 as an 11-year-old. Since than I have purchased older firearms but that was my first purchase. At 12 I purchased a Remington 700 ADL in 30/06. Two years later I traded it for a Browning Sako L579 in .243 to hunt coyotes with since during that time fur prices were very good.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    A Gahendra and a Snyder.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger Convertible Single Six and a Super Blackhawk purchased while I was in Grad School. Had had a 16ga Single shot shotgun and a cap and ball pistol prior but no longer with me. The two revolvers are.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Marlin Model 60 SSK, 22 LR.

Still have it, still shoot it regularly.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I knew there was a reason why that purty gal married you, TbG!

Well, like Dom, I still a bit confused about what is wanted here. All guns new or used that I bought, I bought for me. Many old ones have gone down the road. Here's the one that comes to mind as being the oldest that I've still got:

Attachment 316492

And here's the oldest one that I bought new that I've still got:

Attachment 316493

DG
    What firearm have you had the longest? For me it was the first one I bought for myself, my Single Six. Others it might be that 22 rifle you got for Christmas when you were 8 like I did (that Win 190 is gone somewhere). Doesn't need to be NIB, used out of a case at the FFL or bought off a friend. If you still have it after all the years while others have been sent down the road, that is what the question is.
    I could feed Sherman's Army on their march to Savannah with the partridge, rabbits and woodchucks that 190 took.
    Last edited by jonp; 07-31-2023 at 10:49 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    First gun bought new: Ruger .44 magnum Blackhawk, 1959. Had to be 21 to buy a pistol, so I ordered it by mail from Chicago. Lived in New Orleans at the time so had it sent to Gretna, general delivery, across the river (Jackson Street ferry, a steam paddle-wheeler at rhe time). I was 19. Still have it. Second new gun the next year, a Hi-standard Supermatic Tournament. Still have it, shot many matches in Worcester county pistol league until I took over Hopedale Junior Rifle Club & realized I could not do both. Had the JRC for 20 years until moved out of MA to ME.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    What firearm have you had the longest? For me it was the first one I bought for myself, my Single Six. Others it might be that 22 rifle you got for Christmas when you were 8 like I did (that Win 190 is gone somewhere). Doesn't need to be NIB, used out of a case at the FFL or bought off a friend. If you still have it after all the years while others have been sent down the road, that is what the question is.
    I could feed Sherman's Army on their march to Savannah with the partridge, rabbits and woodchucks that 190 took.
    Well, put that way, the first one was a Christmas gift at age 12, still have it, but didn't buy it. So it was new at the time, but now is 68 years old. Stevens Mod. 15-A .22 S., L., LR. Wonderful rifle to learn shooting with as it is a single shot which taught me the necessity for good marksmanship-- making the first shot count. Lots of varmints fell to this rifle, which is essentially still like new.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stevens 15-A 002.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	316514

Next acquisition was a No.1 Mk.III* .303 Lee Enfield Rifle unaltered. It accounted for several deer, but was not the best specimen, and went down the road just last year, as I have some nicer specimens including some I rescued from Bubba to make very nice rifles. Third was/is a 1937 K98k 8mm still in my possession, with which I also bagged a nice buck. After that, things just kind of got out of control with a collection that eventually topped out a bit over 500 pieces. Down to about half that now, and many of those will probably depart this Fall. But, some will never leave. (In my lifetime.)

Name:	IM004837.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	316515 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006629.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	316516

DG

Boolit Grand Master

The oldest gun that I have bought is an 1873 Winchester in 44-40. The oldest gun that I bought new was a Colt Frontier Scout sometime in the 60's with yard mowing money.

Boolit Buddy
    Springfield Trapdoor 45-70 that I bought mailorder in 1970 at age 15. Lived in Hawaii at the time and had an after school job at a motorcycle shop. It took a long time to earn the money ($125 as I recall) for a really nice one, but it started a lifelong hobby that has been a blast.

Boolit Grand Master
    A Marlin 1894 purchased about 20 years ago.

I bought my fitst gun in 1968, but sold it. Wish I had kept it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    The gun I've had the longest is a Mossberg bolt action 22lr. Dad got it for me when I was 9. That was 65 years ago. It's nothing fancy but it was my first.

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, if you are talking about the first gun mine was also a single shot .22 - in this case a Sears made by Marlin. Dad bought it for us when I was 9 and my brother was 12. It's still upstairs in the closet, and I refinished the stock easily a dozen years ago.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

It is kind of funny I often think the first gun I bought was my Remington model 700 in 30-06 that I still have but really before that I bought a CVA belt pistol kit that I still have . However the oldest gun by date is my Springfield model 1884 made in 1889 .
    In all these years I have only sold swapped 2 guns a S&W Model 28 (HUGE MISTAKE) and a cheap Chinese 12 gauge couch gun I never cared for . I also lost 5 guns in a break in I got the two pistols back but not the Rem. 760 in .270 , the Ithaca model 500 over under or my Navy Arms 12 gauge double muzzle loader .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Back in 1970 I bought a Model 1911 Colt made in 1918 and about 6 yrs ago bought a Remington Automatic Shotgun ( later called a Model 11) made in 1909. Both guns are serviceable and shot regularly though neither has great collector value. The 1911 had a rib and dot sight on it when I shot bullseye.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Bub
    I recently purchased a Steyr 1893 in 6.5x53R that was listed on Gunbroker. The rifle was covered with black, sticky grunge and nobody had an interest in it. I thought that the old girl could be a diamond in the rough and I decided to give her a new home. I performed a conservation on her and later found out that it was made by George Gibbs in England. That was a win, win for me!

Boolit Master
    German-built Swedish Mauser made in 1899. I also had a Finnish M39 with a 1943 VKT Finnish barrel, but the action was an 1890s Russian Mosin.

Boolit Master

Sadly it is my S&W M&P40 full-size I bought new in 2007. It's the oldest firearm that I still have that I bought myself.

Not very old at all. It's my nightstand gun...

Attachment 317024

I bought my first firearm back in 1986 or so. I believe it was a 10/22. I've only bought two used firearms; a S&W 642 and a JM Marlin 1894 in .357 Mag. Sold the marlin for $1000 to finance my move to Idaho after my divorce. My wife kept the J-frame in the divorce as it was "her" pistol.

My actual oldest gun is one I inherited from my dad, I think. I know nothing about it. I do know that he used it in matches.

It's a 1903 Springfield WWII sniper rifle. Not sure of the year of manufacture...

Name:	PP3vD1KsTSyCyhbuCqCtlQ.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	317026
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast