Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Need Info on Hornady Pro Seven

Boolit Master

Need Info on Hornady Pro Seven

I was given this press by a neighbor who is moving to Texas. There were several reloading items but this press was the largest item. There were also 3 sets of dies: Redding .454 Casull, RCBS .250 Savage and Lee .243 Win. None of these items show much wear. The dies are rusty but don't have Channellock marks.

I am not familiar with the Hornady equipment so any opinions will be appreciated.

My son wants to get into reloading and doesn't want to wait until he inherits my stuff.
    John
    W.TN

It's the first generation Hornady progressive.
    A few changes and it became the 'Pro-Jector'.
    A few more and it evolved into the LNL AP.

It's a good progressive, and I sure liked my 2nd version of it, the Pro-jector.

The primer system is kind of hypnotic if you watch it too closely.
    Having had both, I prefer it to the new system on the APs.
    I don't really care for the loaded round ejection thingy, or the way the powder measure works.

If you keep & use it, I'd encourage getting the modern generation powder measure linkage kit.
    It'll fit the old school powder dropper. Also if ya call Hornady, you can get a new clear tube for the powder dropper.
    They'll say its different, but in about 2 minutes, you can make it work.

I seriously doubt if yawl will regret having it and wish the neighbor had left you a Lee instead.

Edit--
    Any standard dies will work on it, as well as the new generation LNL AP shell plates.
    If you taper crimp, once you've used a 5 station, it's kind of hard to wish you'd gotten a 4 station one.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 07-27-2023 at 05:50 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

After googling Hornady Pro Seven, I found a thread on this forum discussing the press. The main thing I got from it was that the thread was 9 years old and parts back then were almost non-existent.

At my age, I'm not inclined to take on a project to resurrect this old boat anchor. If someone wants to contact me about the press, I' m willing to ship it to the first one that is willing to pay the shipping cost. It really is a boat anchor.

There is a decal on the press frame that identifies it as a Pro Jector
    Last edited by alamogunr; 07-28-2023 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Additional Info
    John
    W.TN

It's true that original parts are non-existent.

I have resurrected two Pro-Jectors to fully functional, including priming, and if I was on your continent I would take up your offer.

I'd take you up on your offer, but I already have a ProJector and LNL-AP. I also like the ProJector better.

If you keep it, what parts are you missing?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I'd take you up on your offer, but I already have a ProJector and LNL-AP. I also like the ProJector better.

If you keep it, what parts are you missing?
    All I've done so far is a quick cleanup and oiling moving parts. I'm not familiar enough with how it works to know what is missing. I assume that a different shell plate is necessary for different cartridges and the shell plate on the press now is not the shell plate that matches the dies that were installed(.454 Casull).
    John
    W.TN

The new model Hornady shellplates work on the old presses.

The only difference between the old and new shellplates is a milled channel under the new shellplate that rides over the ejector nub, which the old presses don't have.

If the press cycles when you raise and lower the handle, you have a potential winner. It means the index pawls are still intact and functioning.

The Pro-Jector user manual is available on Hornadys site under the discontinued items. About halfway down the page https://www.hornady.com/support/user-manuals#!/ If you're dead set on getting rid of it, I'll pay shipping, get it working to give it to my boy.... but I think you should fix it up and use it. All of the shell plates are available and most parts will pop up on ebay from time to time.

Boolit Buddy
    have the Pro-7, Pro-jector, and the AP, still use both the 7 & the projector, there's a few
    complete laying around and some still new in boxes, picked them up along the way. the
    hardest thing to locate is basically anything that has to do with "priming system", but if
    you check around on "Fleabay" and "Fecebook" you may find plenty of parts, some of the
    groups on FB have them for sale every so often.

some nfo here:
    http://ysterhout.net/docs/projector-tune/index.html

https://www.hornady.com/support/user-manuals#!/
    look for "Pro-7 Metallic Reloading Press Instructions" .... or..
    "Pro-Jector Instructions"

-Rock
    Last edited by Rockzilla; 07-28-2023 at 08:04 PM.