RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cow Egrets / Cow Birds

Cow Egrets / Cow Birds

Have no idea where they stay, but every time I start mowing with the tractor, we have about 20 acres to mow, I see a shadow go over and zip they land, one after the other until there are 20-40 of them gathering munchies in the grass. They cover the sides and diagonal out front, running with the tractor gathering bugs from the grass. Have no idea how they keep up in the heat, but they seem to do just that. I see them stop, get a drink in the pond and grab a small frog, or you will see them riding on a cow's back, picking bugs or jumping off to grab a grasshopper. When I quit mowing they all leave.

Pretty amazing little birds.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

We have a lot of white cow egrets around here that ride around on the neighbor's cows.

I haven't seen any of the black cow birds since we left the city.
    They were about the only things the sparrows couldn't run off.
    They could swoop in, land on another bird's nest, lay an egg for the other bird to hatch & raise, and be gone in 4-5 seconds.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Red tail hawk sits a power pole when I start bush hogging the pasture. Rabbit or field mouse gets caught. She, the red tail, won't take off with or leave the prey, just stares me down. I head another direction and let her feed or carry her load to her young.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Have no idea where they stay, but every time I start mowing with the tractor, we have about 20 acres to mow, I see a shadow go over and zip they land, one after the other until there are 20-40 of them gathering munchies in the grass. They cover the sides and diagonal out front, running with the tractor gathering bugs from the grass. Have no idea how they keep up in the heat, but they seem to do just that. I see them stop, get a drink in the pond and grab a small frog, or you will see them riding on a cow's back, picking bugs or jumping off to grab a grasshopper. When I quit mowing they all leave.

Pretty amazing little birds.
    We really enjoy them as well. I love to see them standing on our laying down cows munching on flies and other bugs. They are such a great bird!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen this before. Mowing the lawn and have birds following me around. At first I was, whut?, but then figured it out. Bugs, smart birdies.

45_Colt

Boolit Master

I don't know where the birds stay, but crank the tractor and there they are.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

In Louisiana they are known as Cattle Egrets ...(Bubulcus Ibis) they are one of several Egret - Heron type birds found here ... 4 different Herons and 5 different Egrets are commonly seen , and sometimes hard to tell apart .

The way I spot the Cattle Egret is it is of smaller size , all white in color (except for breeding plumage), short necks and the sure fire identifier ... a yellow bill and yellow legs .
    There must be about 10 different (some say 12) Egrets and Herons that live in Louisiana and are my most favorite family of birds to watch ... they can be found in the open cattle fields to the deep swamps .
    Where Tabasco Hot Sauce is made , on Avery Island , there has been established "Bird City" . By the late 19th century plume hunters had nearly wiped out the Snowy Egret for it's plumage ...Edward Mcllhenny became alarmed and built nesting platforms for the Egrets ... The platforms have been added to and can be seen to this day . When the Snowy Egrets are nesting there must be hundreds of thousands of them there today ...maybe millions ... It's a sight to behold .

But remember ; small size , white color , short neck , yellow bill , yellow legs = Cattle Egret

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I have seen them in a roost, just West of Watonga, OK about 6 miles. Hundreds of them in the trees. Don't know if they are still there, but they were there for years when I would pass thru the area

Boolit Master

Yep, I have them. Just follow along behind or beside the mower looking for and easy meal. I have a hawk too. Not sure what kind it is, but it is pretty big. Sits on a fence post or tree limb and watches. I thought it was dive bombing me out of a tree one day when it came within 2 feet above my head and snagged a black snake just behind the mower that I did not see. Really pretty cool.

UnNfortunately those stupid egrets are a protected bird in Tx. I've seen flock of a couple hundred in ElCampo when dove hunting. Fly over in huge flocks.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Working at a sod farm (yeah, I helped grow grass, the legal kind) years ago I had one land in front of me and squared off to me it puffed up like it was going to take me on! I was using a 4895 John Deere tractor, dual wheels, four wheel drive and a tri fold disk harrow.
    I had a good laugh!

I used to enjoy watching them too when I lived outside of Baton Rouge. As soon as I started mowing my 5-acre place a couple dozen of them would materialize and chow down on grasshoppers and other bugs. They certainly knew the sound of that dinner bell.
    Slavin' away for the Takers - I make it, They take it.

They are all fine and good for an invasive bird; until they start a rookery on your place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    No kidding! I had a good friend who had some move in and start roosting in his woods . Nasty stinking birds and they killed several big oak trees. He had nothing good to say about them.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    Those birds are native to India and arrived in the U.S. on the backs of Bramha cattle when they were first imported from India.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Guedry View Post
    Those birds are native to India and arrived in the U.S. on the backs of Bramha cattle when they were first imported from India.
    I bet you read that on the internet .

Sorry but Cattle Egrets are native to Africa and have slowly migrated to Northeastern South America in 1877 , they continued expanding their territory north until arriving in the United States in 1941 and nesting here in 1953 . In the next 50 they became one of the most abundant of the North American Herons , showing up as far North as Alaska !

You can tell Cattle Egrets from Snowy Egrets by the color of their legs and bills .

Yellow legs and yellow bill = Cattle Egret

Black legs and black on end of bill = Snowy Egret

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    No my uncle told me. He was a cattlman long be fore mr Gore invented the internet.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Guedry View Post
    No my uncle told me. He was a cattlman long be fore mr Gore invented the internet.
    Well if your Uncle told you then it must be true ...
    Because our Louisiana Uncles never tell untruths ... My Uncles never did and I'm sure your Uncle is right ... on the backs of Brahma Cattle I'll drink to that .
    One of my Uncles was a cattleman to , his cattle brand was the Rocking Arrow .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Around here “Eriks” is slang for cattle egrets;
    “There’s a bunch of Eriks in the pasture”
    I haven’t seen any in a while. I wish that they’d visit for this grasshopper plague!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

They were about the only thing my Cajun in-laws would not eat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast