MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dehumidifer recomandations

Boolit Master

dehumidifer recomandations

i have a Hisense dehumidifier that will be 3 years old in august. (made in china). been acting up,and i contacted hisense and went thru the reset procedure. if this does not correct the issue; i will buy a new one. NOT HISENSE. by the way the last dehumidifier was a sears and lasted around 30 years. so, this leads to my question. any recommandations as to what brand to TRY next.

Boolit Master

Whatever you get this time, don't count it lasting 30 years, those days are long gone.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    sadly, that is very true. on another note i got a new electric stove 2 weeks ago. the insatller said that he had recently replaced one that was bought in 1965. thr only thing that lasts a long time today is automobiles; but, we do pay a lot for them.

Boolit Master

You got just about the normal service life from your HiSense. Let's see, we've been through GE, Samsung, and another brand name I don't recall (All made in Korea or China). Shortest service: approx. 30 months...longest service: 39 months (the Samsung that we replaced last month).

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Might be wrong, but I believe just like refrigerators, freezers, etc., there is no longer appliances that last for decades. I just replaced a 30+ year old Sears with a Waykar. Been 3 years now and still working great but I have no illusions it will last more that 10 years tops.

Boolit Master
    I've got a Frigidaire in the garage that's two years old. According to the charts the volume of my garage was borderline between two sizes. I got the larger size which means it short-cycles a lot. When I have to replace it I will probably get a smaller one that will run more continuously and I will probably get another one like I have,

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Danby dehumidifier that I am the second owner of. I've had it 2 years and I'm not sure how old it is. I had an LG door in door refrigerator last 3 years. Just replaced it today. LG said I had to go for 16 days without getting someone to service it before they would do anything. (I live too far out for authorized service)

Boolit Master
    Move to Arizona it is a dry heat.

Boolit Buddy
    I buy them from Amazon now and pay for the extended warranty as few last more than 3yrs now. No preference for brand, likely all made in the same factory in china now.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    i have a Hisense dehumidifier that will be 3 years old in august. (made in china). been acting up,and i contacted hisense and went thru the reset procedure. if this does not correct the issue; i will buy a new one. NOT HISENSE. by the way the last dehumidifier was a sears and lasted around 30 years. so, this leads to my question. any recommandations as to what brand to TRY next.
    We NEED run a dehumidifier most all months 'cept when it's below freezing out, and we replaced our 25+ year service Sears with a Frigidaire. It worked quite well for about four years -- until it died. By happenstance, I Googled Frigidaire and they noted that model had a defect (the electronics -- not de-humidification stuff) - and for all units less than five years old, they would -- gratis -- send a replacement. I had to peel off the silver sticker and post it to them -- and in a very few days we received the replacement! What might I add? It works. Basically, all a dehumidifier is is no more than a refrigeration unit with coils having room air blown on them to condense -- just like a hi-ball on the bar -- with water/condensate dripping off. The only real "trick" is to have all balanced so condensation is maximized and the coils freezing is minimized. Two things to note is the "free" replacement weighs a significant number of pounds LESS than the one it replaced; and, in general, the unit appears cheaper-made. BUT, again, it works. Photo is of model returned -- number fyi. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dehumidifier_2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	316270
    This is no recommendation -- just my experience. Perhaps we got lucky with the gratis replacement; I have doubts if this unit will last as many years as that Sears...
    Good luck!
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 07-23-2023 at 08:53 AM.

Boolit Master
    I've a friend who has a Kelvinator fridge that's at least 30 years old and a console TV that is at least as old as the fridge. I've known him for 40 years and jokingly give him a bit of a hard time about replacing the TV. Still drives an 89 Bronco no rust on it which is amazing for this part of the country and if has 50 k for mileage I'd ne surprised.

I've got a Toshiba I'm happy with. I move it back and forth between the basement and garage. I've got a 3 car garage that it has no problems keeping comfortable and dry. I've had it less than a year, so I can't comment on its longevity. I paid around a hundred bucks for it, lightly used, still had the protective plastic on it.

Boolit Buddy
    I dehumidify my reloading shed, now for 15 years. Dehumidifier is plugged in all year and drains to the outside via a hose. The typical dehumidifier sold by my local Lowes has a warrantee of 1 year. They typically lasted up to 2 years. For my last one, I decided to try a HISENSE, as its warrantee was 2 years. It's now been working for 3 years.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a SaniDry XP. 10 years old and works very well. IIRC 100 pints a day capacity.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve found that in general, that South Korean appliances work better and last longer than Chinese.
    Make sure to clean the the filter often on dehumidifiers, before you see a lack in performance. They will last longer if you do.

Boolit Master
    bought a Honeywell today at Best Buy. made in china 5 year " limmited" warranty. what ever that means.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a White Westinghouse I bought in 1993. Still going strong. Not counting my guns it's the best investment I ever made.

I installed an aprilair whole house unit into my ac ducts. In fall/winter I need it in florida. It can do like 96 pints water removal per day.

Boolit Master
    I had a new house in New Hampshire on a hill with a walkout cellar.
    The concrete would sweat a stream across the floor.

First week, after freezing the de-hum
    I added a zone of hot water, 8 foot of panning
    set the t-stat 65 and heated the cellar all summer
    I believe I burned less money for oil
    than electric for the de-hum.
    Once the cellar was warm, above dew point, it dried out.
    Helped that the concrete had two inches of blue foam outside against the dirt.
    Four inches would have been better.

A lot of the time if the fan runs but will not dehumidify the compressor start capacitor is bad.
    Cheap fix if that is the issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast