Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cell phone

Boolit Master
    We have an Iphone 7 that is our "home phone" and a 4G flip phone that I carry out and about. We've had Verizon service since we had cell phones but I'm considering switching since Verizon has gotten so expensive in the last couple of years. I would rather have a cell phone than a landline - so much handier. Neither of us are enamored with them to the point that we have to have the latest Iphone for the sake of fashion so we end up keeping them for a long time. I believe the frequent trading in and upgrading is what costs some so much money.

Cell phones are a lot like cocaine.

Never had one, never will. I'm retired, don't need it. Mahalo.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I upgrade when the battery fails... then I buy an about to be discontinued model that came out 3-4 years ago... Usually pay under $100! Brand new phone with warranty.
    Hi MaryB, and I laud (as always) your wisdom! I pay cash for my cellular telephones and bought the (AT&T) Apple iPhone 14PLUS in March (2023). I've had the iPhone 7 for a while, and I have the $14.00 per month plan through Spectrum (Verizon towers) on this device. (I consider this 'phone as like a fire extinguisher -- nice to have, but don't wish to need using it. At camp, there is NO AT&T service, so -- 'specially since I'm kind of handicapped -- should I have an emergency at camp -- WELL worth having).
    Anyhoos -- re your post -- the '7''s battery is on the way down, and I'm really giving thought to trading it in. My experience notes Apple issues their new ones in the fall -- hence my thought to up-trade then. Presently (last week!) Spectrum offered me nine U S dollars for my iPhone 7 towards any one of their devices. I can wait...
    Vis YOUR post -- might you provide, say, a bit more specific info as to when may be, in your opinion, the time for me to upgrade, and -- I know this is purely subjective -- the model you'd consider as best to trade up to?
    Thanks!
    geo

Boolit Buddy

Am 77 years now! I like my cell phone most of the time. My grandkids ask "hey pap! how did you ever grow up without a cell phone? I get so agitated at the scammers who call from India. They are scamming for information especially if they find out you are over 65 years old. They scam Medicare. It is their national pastime. This country gives India money to be our friend. We should stop all aid to India till their police dismantle the scam call centers. Not having a cell phone and getting daily calls from India scammers would be one reason not to own a cell phone. I ask them if they are having a relationship with their pet goat. Sometimes they get upset and quit calling. I have to take the time to block the fake phone number the scammers call from. I can see why some folks do not want a cell phone.

Boolit Master

I have one, and it is a flip phone. I don't text. I hate the 21st century
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master
    I had tmoble, but now I have tracfone.
    My old phone was older than time. It was free with the plan.
    Got this on free to.
    They had a promo and it paid for the flip phone.
    Only reason I wanted a new phone is for the camera.
    Funny thing is I've never used the camera once.
    Got to keep my number.
    Pay for minutes to use it.
    I buy a $20 card every 90 days.
    I almost never use it so I have more minutes than I'll ever use.
    Last time I used it was in Mar.
    Take my cat first thing in the morning, and staff come out when they see me.
    So haven't had to talk to them for anything.
    People seem to get addicted to the stupid phone.
    It rings for all kinds of things besides calls.
    I just don't understand it.
    Friend doesn't want one, so the wife can't bother him when he's not home.

Moderator Emeritus

I actually forgot my cell phone one day while still working in NJ. The same day the quake hit and there was some minor damages. My kids were trying to reach me. I borrowed a phone to let them know I was OK after trying to remember their cell numbers. Like Geo and others have said, they come in handy and are just a tool. Like the pistol we carry, there when we need it.

Boolit Master
    I have a flip phone because the wife insisted I have one. Other than to locate her when shopping I make a call a few times a year. There is only four or five people that have my number so if I don't recognize the number it doesn't get answered. Where I live cell reception is very limited so when I'm out and about it doesn't work. I just don't miss not talking on the phone and I don't need games or the net to keep me occupied.

Flip phone and I don't text.
    I don't want to be THAT connected.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWPARKENFARKER View Post
    Never had one, never will. I'm retired, don't need it. Mahalo.
    Let's drink to that ... I'll buy the first round ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Hi MaryB, and I laud (as always) your wisdom! I pay cash for my cellular telephones and bought the (AT&T) Apple iPhone 14PLUS in March (2023). I've had the iPhone 7 for a while, and I have the $14.00 per month plan through Spectrum (Verizon towers) on this device. (I consider this 'phone as like a fire extinguisher -- nice to have, but don't wish to need using it. At camp, there is NO AT&T service, so -- 'specially since I'm kind of handicapped -- should I have an emergency at camp -- WELL worth having).
    Anyhoos -- re your post -- the '7''s battery is on the way down, and I'm really giving thought to trading it in. My experience notes Apple issues their new ones in the fall -- hence my thought to up-trade then. Presently (last week!) Spectrum offered me nine U S dollars for my iPhone 7 towards any one of their devices. I can wait...
    Vis YOUR post -- might you provide, say, a bit more specific info as to when may be, in your opinion, the time for me to upgrade, and -- I know this is purely subjective -- the model you'd consider as best to trade up to?
    Thanks!
    geo
    Every provider has their own deals... have to go and shop online... Just look for a cheap pick... If I can buy one for under $50 I go for it, I hate payment plans... I have Verizon so what I can get is different than what your providers offer...

Moderator Emeritus

I ignore my phone 99% of the time, spam callers are handled by an app and get hung up on. I only answer people I know... maybe send 10 tests a month...

BUT! It is my phone book, address book, web browser when I am parked on my butt in the doctors office, Kindle reader(I read non stop!), camera for documenting projects I am working on(take pics BEFORE you take it apart, more during disassembly!!!!)... it is a tool.

I detest people who have to text every 2 minutes... my sisters are like that, glued to a phone screen and oblivious to what is going on around them.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Watching the evolution of cell phones is interesting.
    They started out as big clumsy things they called Bag Phones, then as the technology progressed they got smaller and smaller until they were so small they could slip in your shirt pocket and you hardly knew they were there. Then they went to flip phones with little postage sized screens so you could take a picture.
    Then they decided to incorporate a PDA into the package, and we had the Blackberry. After that they made them bigger and ditched the keyboard and made the screens touch sensitive.
    Now they keep getting bigger and bigger, soon they be carried on the shoulder like the old boom boxes.
    At some point they will probably put wheels on them so you can drive them to the store, that is unless they turn them into implantable chips.
    I remember once they had cell phones the size of your thumb. They never caught on. They were too small. My first phone was a Motorola flip type. I loved it. When I moved to France, they didn’t have the same technology in Europe at the time. I went for several years, then finally got an iPhone 4s. At the time it was great. I could change the SIM card when I went back to Alaska for a visit, to avoid roaming charges.

Boolit Master
    I resisted a smart phone for a long time. Who needs a camera on a phone? I have a camera. When they wash dishes, I'll get one.
    But, now I have a "wicked smart" phone that's practically a Swiss Army survival tool. Yep, it has a great camera, a flashlight, maps, weather reports, an alarm, calendar, a clock, a timer, a calculator, photo storage, answering machine, access to the internet, email and about a dozen other features that I have no idea how to use. My wife and I share a gig of data (Xfinity) and it's maybe $30 per month for two phones. I ditched my home phone.
    Could I live without the phone and its features...sure, but I don't wanna.

Boolit Master

I worked away from home for the first 15 years of this century. I resisted until it became almost impossible to find a pay phone. We had an 800 number that I used to call home and that worked well-when I could find a pay phone. My first cell phone was a flip phone that I kept until the provider forced an upgrade to 4G. Then I had a choice; another flip phone for $125 or a smart phone at no charge.
    I find it convenient, when SWMBO is watching "how to kill your husband and get away with it", to plug in the earphones and watch my choice.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

My first cel phone was a PRC 25, the tool of a Surveyor/FO.

Had 12 incoming lines, a dedicated fax, and a world wide Watts line. Three insurance houses, including an aviation insurance house, that all was 24-7 of problems to solve and constant ringing phones, I love quiet.

When I retired, bought a farm, 30 miles from no where. No cable, no land lines, nada. I have a cel phone that I very rarely ever carry anywhere, just for trips. I hate phones with a passion, I just like the fact that the cel phones take a message. They are a scourge upon the earth.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

At home my cell phone stays on my desk during the day. Never carry it outside! Outside is my away from technology time!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Am 77 years now! I like my cell phone most of the time. My grandkids ask "hey pap! how did you ever grow up without a cell phone? I get so agitated at the scammers who call from India. They are scamming for information especially if they find out you are over 65 years old. They scam Medicare. It is their national pastime. This country gives India money to be our friend. We should stop all aid to India till their police dismantle the scam call centers. Not having a cell phone and getting daily calls from India scammers would be one reason not to own a cell phone. I ask them if they are having a relationship with their pet goat. Sometimes they get upset and quit calling. I have to take the time to block the fake phone number the scammers call from. I can see why some folks do not want a cell phone.
    I'm a young fellow and at some points I get up to 20 scam calls a day ever since my university had a data breach. It's odd that they would be targeting me in particular for Medicare scams, but I can only hope they don't find out any more info about me. I've tried multiple call blocking apps but with their technology they can spoof(impersonate) almost every number in service so they never run out of numbers to call you on.

Generally, the less you answer them, the less they call, cause I assume they have some sort of tally on the most active numbers, so don't try and provoke them.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    I'm a young fellow and at some points I get up to 20 scam calls a day ever since my university had a data breach. It's odd that they would be targeting me in particular for Medicare scams, but I can only hope they don't find out any more info about me. I've tried multiple call blocking apps but with their technology they can spoof(impersonate) almost every number in service so they never run out of numbers to call you on.

Generally, the less you answer them, the less they call, cause I assume they have some sort of tally on the most active numbers, so don't try and provoke them.
    If it’s a real problem, can’t you change your number? Of course there’s always the hassle of giving the new one to those who you want to have it.

I’ve gotten tired of all the gmail alerts. I’ve started spamming them. Can you do that with cell phone numbers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast