Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What happened here?

What happened here?

Was found in a batch of brass I got from here. Never seen this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	316146

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen something like that when a 44 was shot in a 45.
    I see it's a 357 could it have been shot in a 41?
    In other words I have no clue. I'll be watching to see what others think.

Quote Originally Posted by Daver7 View Post
    I've seen something like that when a 44 was shot in a 45.
    I see it's a 357 could it have been shot in a 41?
    In other words I have no clue. I'll be watching to see what others think.
    It barely will go in a 357 chamber but will not go all of the way in.

Banned
    The case is so clean and new looking it's hard to tell what happened, but if it was fired it was in a chamber larger then the cartridge caliber it is. If it was fired in a .41 mag there is .0055 thousands of a inch difference, but the front of that cartridge doesn't show any expansion from the angle of the pic. Either that or it was sized down with a 357 die and then tumbles cleaned very well as to not leave any indications of what happened. Have you inquired the person you got the brass from? I think I'd pitch it to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    The case is so clean and new looking it's hard to tell what happened, but if it was fired it was in a chamber larger then the cartridge caliber it is. If it was fired in a .41 mag there is .0055 thousands of a inch difference, but the front of that cartridge doesn't show any expansion from the angle of the pic. Either that or it was sized down with a 357 die and then tumbles cleaned very well as to not leave any indications of what happened. Have you inquired the person you got the brass from? I think I'd pitch it to be safe.
    Ah I don't care that much. Everyone here is pretty stand up from what I have seen and honest mistakes happen. This is simply a curiosity thread.

Due to how they are sitting it may not look it, but here is a .358 size boolit and it will not slide into the casing.

Name:	thumbnail11.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	316147

Name:	thumbnail111.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	316148

Name:	thumbnail1111.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	316149

Name:	thumbnail11111.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	316150

Looks like a hot load was fired in a rather 'generous' chamber, then resized, but not all the way down.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

My 45 Colt cartridges fired in my Winchester 94AE Trapper come out swelled like that, albeit not that bad. They will not go into the chambers of my Uberti Evil Roy. Can't really tell much detail about that case. Was it a factory new round, has it been reloaded and fired, or is it factory new brass? I have my 45 Colt dies set up to partial size to hold the boolits. Then with the crimp die, the carbide ring sizes just enough at the base of the case, to chamber in either my Uberti or Winchester. The base is NOT sized to SAAMI specs.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    There's a thread on here about Rossi lever actions having too generous of a chamber and bulging brass. Maybe it's that.

Lever action was my first thought as well. I don't see how a case could bulge like this in a revolver honestly.

Boolit Buddy
    My first thought was an oversized chamber in either e lever action rifle/pistol or a semi-auto pistol. Then looking at it and comparing some internet information I surmised that someone may have tried to fire it in a 350 Legend.

Boolit Master

350 legend was my first thought too.

Boolit Buddy
    I did that to a .357 mag once when I was just getting started in reloading. The pawls weren't adjusted correctly and the shell plate wasn't indexed all the the way in to position when resizing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brasshog View Post
    My first thought was an oversized chamber in either e lever action rifle/pistol or a semi-auto pistol. Then looking at it and comparing some internet information I surmised that someone may have tried to fire it in a 350 Legend.
    Even if it fit how would get a rimmed cartridge in a rimless chamber like an AR15 and for that matter the bolt on an AR15 won't accept that big of a rim. In a break open same deal how would you close the actin with the rim protruding? I'm voting on hot load in a sloppy leveraction chamber.

Boolit Master
    I bought a used M28 S&W that did that on two cylinders. I had to replace the cylinder as you could barely drive the cases out with a hammer and punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty Boolit View Post
    I did that to a .357 mag once when I was just getting started in reloading. The pawls weren't adjusted correctly and the shell plate wasn't indexed all the the way in to position when resizing.
    This is probably closest to the truth. I've had cases resize like that when they weren't inserted completely into the shell holder before trying to size.

Boolit Master
    357 mag fired in a 41 mag the cases would come out look like a Pilsner beer glass.

Not really the subject of the thread but this talk of Rossis and loose chambers concerned me so I miked up 10 cases I fired from my 357 Rossi yesterday, admittedly the loads were subsonic (I was shooting an indoor range and there's a restriction on ME) but they all miked 378 thou at several points round rhe circumference just in front of the rim and 376 thou at the case mouth, phew! Got me worried there.
    FWIW the cases were loaded using lyman dies, I'll have to check up on the cases I load with my Lee dies, the SAAMI dimension, which I believe is for the chamber, is 379 thou.
    Is this talk about Rossi chambers all internetitus or is there any truth in it?

Boolit Bub
    I bought a 44 mag Ruger Superblack from a gentleman, it came with several boxes of loaded ammo. All the cases are marked that way. I am going to pull them and check them out.
    It appears that the sizing die was not centering on the case, or some (all) of the cases were fired in a oversize cylinder. Is it possible to safely shoot them after resizing them?
    I've been loading since 1958, never run into it with my own loads.
    David

A bit of debris in the back of the shell holder will do that.. The case mouth will enter the die but as it rises the case head will not be vertical with the die centerline. FWIW
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!