WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: 310 dies & handles Fair value

310 dies & handles Fair value

I was left a bunch of old reloading tools.Among the items was a bunch of Lyman & Ideal 310 dies & handles. Some are marked just with numbers, some with cal. I was told they are 257 Roberts & 30-06. I wish to move them on at a fair price. If any one can give me a clue to their value I would appreciate it. Anyone wishing to PM me , I would give my phone # so as to better describe the items. Any help would be much appreciated.

So I'll ask. What is the difference in value between an cast aluminum & steel handle? There is one of each here.

Boolit Master

Dom, I'm kinda in the same position. I have 2 sets of handles and 3 sets of dies that I'd like to sell. I looked around on the auction site that can't be mentioned and saw a few. Prices weren't all that high, so I'm thinking what I have ain't worth much. As far as the difference between the steel and aluminum - are the steel stamped "Ideal"? What I'm getting at is they may have changed materials used years ago, so the older ones are steel and the newer ones are aluminum. I'm quite sure there are others on this forum that know a whole lot more than I do about them.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

The steel handles are Ideal.

Boolit Master

Steel handles come in at least two styles - Caliber marked ( some earlier ones are marked in what later would become the cartridge adapter ring #) and Universal style which require an adapter ring just like the aluminum alloy universal style handles that are most common. The aluminum alloy universal handles are most common and worth the least. The steel universal handles are the most desirable and worth the most. The Caliber marked steel are generally worth more than the aluminum - with rarer calibers usually bringing more money
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    The Ideal steel tongs are stamped caliber specific - an Ideal marketing ploy. Many can be used for other cartridges that utilize same/close case base dimensions with the correct 310 dies for the cartridge. Example: Ideal handles stamped 30-06 can be used to load 8mm Mauser and vise versa.

As far as value? That is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I have steel Ideal tongs and die sets for most of the cartridges I reload just because I like to use them once in a while. On the main auction site that we can't mention, IMHO, most of the 310 stuff is way over priced. It's not that I can't afford to pay those prices, it's that I refuse to pay those prices. While I might like to have a specific set of 310 dies and tong, I won't pay stupid prices when a set of standard Lee or other brands, especially a good used set, will get the job done. But that's just me.

Boolit Master

just to point out - it appears you have two sets of 310 tools. The marked set (early) and the later set with the adjusting thumb wheel on the back, adjust screw lock nut. Both are 310's, but they should not be. but they are. It's confusing. The adjustable will take any cartridge because the extractor hook can be adjusted. Not so with the other marked. As mentioned, a 30-06 set will do anything on a 30-06 base or close. like 45ACP. 30-30,38-55-32-40,32 win, 303 save 25-35, 22 Savage and more all use the same handle. Big stuff like 50-70 or 348 Win use the Special size. It looks like the owner had this figured and load at least two calibers per tool. Primer seaters, neck sizer, neck expanders, bullet seaters might vary. Decappers are decappers. Be sure to show numbers in pics or includ in descraptions. Later dies minght have actual caliber on them, early just a number.

Thank you ascast.Informative.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was going to add here, but realized that we've been down this rabbit hole many times before. Identifying the handles will require a close up showing their markings. They seem to be gaining value fairly quickly, especially some of the steel handles commanding a fair premium. Aluminum, not so much.

As far as the dies are concerned, I personally like to have complete, identified sets, although from time to time I buy odd dies to finish up a set. If you have dies with the code numbers, a pretty complete chart to sort them out has been assembled by an anonymous amphibian and posted here several times. If you can't find it in the Cast Pic pages below, you can contact me via PM with an e-mail address and I'll send you an e-copy.

Bottom line on prices is there is no standard. The vultures on fleaBay have begun pricing individual parts at blue sky prices, but hopefully after sitting on them for a couple of years, maybe they'll come down a bit.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

The Ideal steel handle is clearly marked 30-06. The cast aluminum Lyman seems to be of the more universal style. Much newer.Thanks for the help.I would not be asking sky high prices.I personally have no need for the dies. After inspecting , there appears to be 257 Roberts & 30-06. All appear to be in great shape.