WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a tubing cutter to shorten cases?

These have become popular for cutting brass down when performing caliber conversions.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-m...saw-62136.html
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    Depending on volume of cases to convert...I've used one of these to gross cut
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then a Frankfort Arsenal case trimmer for the final prep.
    Looks like a nice set up, but you can get a mini chop saw from harbor freight for about $30. That’s what the 300 blackout boys use!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Add me to the HF mini chop saw group.

I use this setup to trim 40's for use as jackets when swaging. The chuck for the brass is the Lee 3 jaw universal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tools needed.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	316159
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tube cutter mounted.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	316160
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I have the little chop saw, but honestly, 90% of the time I just use the RCBS Trim Pro, motorized trimmer with a 3 way cutter. Just stick the case in, spring loaded, and it cuts and turns until perfectly done. I trim and run the cases in sequence as they come off the trimmer.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post

The trick to getting a straight cut with them is to make a jig that will lock into the vise and hold the case at the length and angle you need. After all that I then ran the used to be .308 cases into the .45 ACP Shot form die and used a file to trim them.

Robert
    Without the Jig you only have half the tool, and a potential for removing parts of fingers.

I bought one of the inexpensive ebay jigs for converting .223rem brass to .300BO brass. I always cut them a little long and after sizing trimmed to correct depth with a calibre specific trimmer or the lyman chamfering tool.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Bub
    I have a Cape gun in 16 gauge x 12.7x44R and they do require a lot of trimming from 50 Alaskan but I bought a used RCBS Power Trimmer at a local gun show and it was worth every penny. Put the 50 Alaskan in and it comes out a 12.7x44R. A couple of twists with a deburring tool and you are home free. One of the single best buys I made in a long time and it will work for almost everything. Very accurate trim length case to case too. Thanks, Squid Boy

Boolit Master
    I use a mini lathe.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a lathe in the shop to make 300 Black out
    use the tail stock with a live center to index the 223 brass
    does a decent job.
    run them threw a size die then trim to length on a RCBS case trimmer + drill to turn them

Boolit Bub
    I never had good results with tubing cutters. As others have said, they tend to sprial, and even when they don't, they still leave a large rolled burr.

A jeweler saw and steady hand gets me close enough to finish with a manual case trimmer. For larger volumes, I use a lathe.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want to get a jig for the mini chop saw just use a case length gauge for the caliber intended. It will hold your case just right. Otherwise, make your own from a sized case and pour casting material (polyurethane) around it within a square mold. Be sure to lube the case well before pouring the casting material.

A fellow on Ebay will make jigs for the Harbor Freight chop saw.

Search "saw case trimmer"

Or see:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30412585354...AAAOSwi8ZgyAwJ
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    Mini chop saw, but I use the case holder from the Wilson case trimmer to hold case square and steady to the blade. Use a caliper and set a stop so case needs little trimming after chop.

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    A file trim die and a jeweler's hack saw should cut them close enough to finish with a normal case trimmer.
    Check CH4D for the file trim die.
    I also use a file trim die and fine hack saw, followed by a couple of spins in the Wilson case trimmer. I have mostly RCBS file trim dies, because they don't size the body as some others do. I have no idea about the CH4D dies.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I swage .22RF hulls into bullets. I'd like to trim a small quantity of de-rimmed jackets back to make some 40gr or 45gr bullets without huge hollow points. I know about "pinch-dies" but I really would just like to make a few hundred experimental's to shoot out of my slow twist .222. I wish there was a way to trim them to length with a case trimmer. Would the HF chop saw work on such small thin tubes?

(BTW: .22short hulls are about as rare as hen's teeth at my range.)
    Last edited by pertnear; 10-05-2023 at 02:09 PM.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I also use a file trim die and fine hack saw, followed by a couple of spins in the Wilson case trimmer. I have mostly RCBS file trim dies, because they don't size the body as some others do. I have no idea about the CH4D dies.
    That is what I use to, making 8 X 57 out of .39-06. hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master

The mini chop saw is the way to go if you have a lot of cases to make. There’s ~900 .223 necks in that box.

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    #2 blade jewelers saw.
    Hack saw works too.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I bought one of these $17 jigs to cut 300 AAC Blackout cases from 5.56 cases using the Harbor Freight chop saw.

ZOEKIM 300 Blackout Case Cut off Trimming Jig Fixture Forming Trimmer Guard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086SCB6YC...language=en-US

Very easy to set up and use so long as you remember to push the safety button to release the saw.

It took a couple of cases to perfect the length because the case length changes when you form the neck and shoulder and trim the case. Once you perfect the case length you don’t need to trim the brass any further, just form the case, debur and chamfer the mouth and you’re done unless you want to anneal also.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Same here for all my forming for 50 years. One swipe with the fine blade and onto my Forester trimmer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast