WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .454 Casull v. .44 Magnum

.454 Casull v. .44 Magnum

Well, I do miss my .44 mag Super Blackhawk. It was not a "practical" sidearm, 5 1/2", but I loved it and wished I never sold it. Even then I'd thought of the .454 Casull Ruger Alaskan but imagine that will wake you up in the morning with it's 2 1/2" barrel. How do you guys like it? I know it's good Alaska defense, but I can't keep a straight face trying to use that one to explain to my wife.
    -Paul

...I can't keep a straight face for much less , but sure it's downloadable to .44 levels or whatever makes me wake up better in the morning_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Super Moderator

What's not practical about a 5-1/2" 44Mag Super Blackhawk? Mild to wild, what's not to like about it? The Lee 310 cast boolit over a healthy dose of 296 is nothing to sneeze at. If I lived in Alaska things "might" be different, but I still wouldn't feel under-gunned with a 44Mag.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Well, I know it's good Alaska defense, but I can't keep a straight face trying to use that one to explain to my wife.
    Years ago I was getting ready for my summer trip to Alaska and saw a clip of a hunter and guide that jumped a big brown bear. The angle of the camera made the bear look 40' tall and both guys were pumping rounds into the bear. I showed the clip to the Wife and she said I need a bigger gun to keep me safe during my vacations. I was not going to argue! I told her I knew just the gun as there was a special run available in 500 S&W (4") in the Alaska Backpacker series.

It sure puts a smile on my face when I take it to the range.

Boolit Master
    Here’s my idea of “practical” barrel lengths.
    454/45 Colt Super Redhawk 5”
    Model 69 2.75”
    Model 629-6 3”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1542.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	316029
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    The Alaskan 454 has also captured my curiosity. But, I rarely shoot the Toklat.

The snubby 44’s do see lots of range time. But I usually use 200 grain wadcutters and push them 1000-1200. They are pleasant to shoot and will have sufficient power for anything I’d lay the sights on outside of the range.

If I had an Alaskan I’d be shooting it with similar light loads and having fun.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    What's not practical about a 5-1/2" 44Mag Super Blackhawk? Mild to wild, what's not to like about it? The Lee 310 cast boolit over a healthy dose of 296 is nothing to sneeze at. If I lived in Alaska things "might" be different, but I still wouldn't feel under-gunned with a 44Mag.
    I mean as a self-defense sidearm for city living only. And because I don't hunt with it, it's all about just what you say....I love it purely on its own merits. I'd definitely take it as a predator defense sidearm. Just curious how people find a 2 1/2" Casull v. something like the 5 1/2" .44 mag.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    The Alaskan 454 has also captured my curiosity. But, I rarely shoot the Toklat.

The snubby 44’s do see lots of range time. But I usually use 200 grain wadcutters and push them 1000-1200. They are pleasant to shoot and will have sufficient power for anything I’d lay the sights on outside of the range.

If I had an Alaskan I’d be shooting it with similar light loads and having fun.
    Sounds great to me!

Shortlist:

CVA muzzy
    another wheelgun in .45 LC, .44 mag again...or.....casull.
    Turkey 12 gauge

...and if I can convince myself I still have the physical life left in this old carcass, bowhunting again after 25 years away.
    Last edited by huntinlever; 07-16-2023 at 06:36 PM.
    -Paul

454 in a short barrel is just blowing powder into the air. Done a bit of handgun hunting and the big meplat is the ticket, at moderate velocity and moderate recoil, that you can control. Burning powder in the air, in front of the muzzle, is only flash and noise.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Super Moderator

I mean as a self-defense sidearm for city living only. And because I don't hunt with it, it's all about just what you say....I love it purely on its own merits. I'd definitely take it as a predator defense sidearm. Just curious how people find a 2 1/2" Casull v. something like the 5 1/2" .44 mag.
    For city living only? I carry either a 1911 45ACP or a 2" Model 10 in 38 Special for the possibilities of those kinds of unpleasant events. A 454 or 44Mag is better suited for woods living IMO, where stuff can either eat you or put some serious bite marks on you. I want the ability to do some quick follow up shots, if necessary. If you're comfy with shooting full power 454 Casull loads from either a single action or double action in a snubby revolver, and making quick follow up shots, go for it. Not my cup of tea for self defense, at least not in the city that I live in. Carry and use what you're totally comfortable shooting, under any conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    For city living only? I carry either a 1911 45ACP or a 2" Model 10 in 38 Special for the possibilities of those kinds of unpleasant events. A 454 or 44Mag is better suited for woods living IMO, where stuff can either eat you or put some serious bite marks on you. I want the ability to do some quick follow up shots, if necessary. If you're comfy with shooting full power 454 Casull loads from either a single action or double action in a snubby revolver, and making quick follow up shots, go for it. Not my cup of tea for self defense, at least not in the city that I live in. Carry and use what you're totally comfortable shooting, under any conditions.
    We're on the same page. .45 ACP for me, too. In terms of woods defense given we have nothing here in WI I'd need a pea shooter for, the .44 would be for hunting only and I won't be doing that. Just love the cartridge and love SA's....since my first Single-Six for Christmas, think I was age 7.
    -Paul

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Wake you up in the morning? How about waking up the dead? Lord! I can't even fathom the racket, and I have launched 105 Howitzer rounds down range!

The nice thing is, you can always practice with the 45 Cowboy Special round. Save the heavy artillery for That Which Makes You Most Angry.

Well, I do miss my .44 mag Super Blackhawk. It was not a "practical" sidearm, 5 1/2", but I loved it and wished I never sold it. Even then I'd thought of the .454 Casull Ruger Alaskan but imagine that will wake you up in the morning with it's 2 1/2" barrel. How do you guys like it? I know it's good Alaska defense, but I can't keep a straight face trying to use that one to explain to my wife.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

You can download the 454 to stout 45 colt loads. So there is your 45colt wheelgun. You can even use 45 colt brass.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    You see a relatively large number of used Ruger Alaskans for sale. That should tell you something.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    I feel that the larger the caliber the shorter the length of the barrel should be. My 454s are both 5", my 44 mag hunter is 6˝" and my 41 magnum is an 8⅜ inch. 340 grainers don't need as much velocity to be effective as 210s do.

Banner Sponsor

If I was to get an Alaskan, it would be in 480.
    I think a more usable size would be a super Redhawk with the barrel cut to around 5.5".
    It would still be short enough to pack easily and get into action quickly. Plus the barrel would still be long enough to make 100yd shots if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    If I was to get an Alaskan, it would be in 480.
    I think a more usable size would be a super Redhawk with the barrel cut to around 5.5".
    It would still be short enough to pack easily and get into action quickly. Plus the barrel would still be long enough to make 100yd shots if needed.
    Thanks for the input. Maybe the old .44 SBH 5 1/2" wasn't such a bad thing after all. Sure loved it.
    -Paul

Boolit Buddy
    For dangerous game I would want the extra speed of a double-action. Mine is the Taurus Raging Bull in 454 with the 5" ported barrel. I reshaped the backstrap of the rubber grips to give me more comfort and control with heavy loads. I have a very accurate load shooting 340 gr WFN GCs at 1250 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    For dangerous game I would want the extra speed of a double-action. Mine is the Taurus Raging Bull in 454 with the 5" ported barrel. I reshaped the backstrap of the rubber grips to give me more comfort and control with heavy loads. I have a very accurate load shooting 340 gr WFN GCs at 1250 fps.

Nice weapon. I'm not used to DA's at all, grew up with a single-six and have never changed, in terms of revolvers. Wasn't aware you can squeeze extra speed out of the DA over the SA. What is the reason?

I know the SA has it's issues with followup (or like when an ursine mouth is closing in), but I've never gotten used to the harder pull of the DA, and my accuracy (not to mention I just like them, the SA) suffers accordingly. I'm sure like everything else, it's all about time spent with one's weapon.
    -Paul

Banner Sponsor

I believe that he is talking about putting more rounds down range in a shorter period of time, not bullet velocity(speed).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast