WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle dies for .30-30?

Boolit Master

Rifle dies for .30-30?

I’m gearing up to load .30-30 and cast rifle bullets for the first time (I’ve cast pistol for 30 years.)

Any preferred dies? I’ve always been an RCBS guy, but I’m open to something new if it’s better.

Do I need an M-die as well?

I don't like working brass anymore than is necessary. Conventional neck or full length sizing dies size the necks too much, they are designed for jacketed bullets (smaller in diameter and more neck tension needed than with cast). With these dies you need the expander die to expand the neck more for cast bullets besides flaring the mouths. With that said I keep brass sorted specifically for cast bullets and specifically for each rifle and use bushing neck size dies with bushings chosen to give the neck tension I want with the larger diameter of cast bullets. I too am a RCBS guy, but my bushing neck size dies are either hand dies (L.E. Wilson or similar) used with an arbor press or Redding brand. I have case mouth expanders (Lyman 'M', RCBS and NOE) and use them when I need to. I have really gotten to like the NOE expanders and will be increasing my collection of them in the future.

Wayne
    Wayne

Boolit Master
    I like and use LEE.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee dies are fine, but the Hornady seating dies are superior in every way. An M die helps quite a bit. If you currently have a Lee universal flaring die, NOE makes inserts that mimic the M die flare and you can choose between several diameters for the neck tension you want.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

i have had very good results with the rcbs cowboy dies in 30-30 they use an M type expander... hornaday dies are an acquired taste, which come in the most awful box i have ever seen... a paper bag would be more useful...

Boolit Grand Master

LOL! The box isn’t great. The contents are terrific!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by slam45 View Post
    i have had very good results with the rcbs cowboy dies in 30-30 they use an M type expander... hornaday dies are an acquired taste, which come in the most awful box i have ever seen... a paper bag would be more useful...
    I agree on all counts.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm an RCBS guy . I have CH , Redding , Forster , Hornady, Lee , Lachmiller, Pacific, Herters , and Lyman die sets too .

The difference between Lee and RCBS is worth every penny for the zero hassle warranty and being able to open the box , screw them in the press run a few over lubed cases and use them for 30 yr . Vs , Grit burrs , full disassembly, pre lubing, ........ I have Lee dies and after the first 2 sets gave me fits , kittens , and gouged shoulders I learned about the junk that ends up in the vent hole from new .

With that said I use a Lee 308 die with a .310 expander for a 30-30 neck die and FL RCBS .

I have 45-70 Redding dies and I do really like them especially at $25 on a gun show table . I have called on them for a different seating stem and in that instance they were as Jonny on the spot as RCBS .

I have a set of CH 32 Rem dies and they are the best set of dies I own . But there's no repair parts unless you buy them , there's at least 2 or 3 generations of dies and parts don't share . If you need a custom die for something out of print or just want a match grade minimum sizing die they're the go to and it's only about $15 more than the shelf dies .
    I have a Forster Bench Rest FL , Neck , and competition in line micrometer seater for 264 WM absolutely great dies . They're $30-70 each . I didn't pay that much for them I think I gave $60 shipped and the guy threw in a set of RCBS 6.5×50 Japanese and a set of 6.5-257 AI dies too .

There's no way even as good as these are that I would pay 2-3 times more than RCBS for them new they aren't , at least to me , 150% the quality finish , and accuracy.

The Herters dies I think were made by the old CH vs CH4D and they are great dies also but obviously like Lachmiller and Pacific there's no support so if you have a problem your on your own .

Hornady should be better than it is my only complaint is at least with STP it's hard to keep them lubed and not over lubed ....... I use an 8×57 neck die for a really fat 7.7 that functionally may as well be a 8×57J .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    Last time I loaded cast in the .30-30 Win, I used the normal RCBS two die set and neck expanded with the Lyman M-die from my .32 S&W/H&R die set. I do use 0.311" boolits in most of my .30 cal rifles so the .32 M-die works for me.

Robert

Boolit Master

I have C&H 30-30 dies and am quite happy with the results. I have used C&H, RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Hollywood, Hornady, Lachmiller, Bair, Pacific, and Lee over the last 50 plus years. I have not had any bad results with any of them. The Lee's would rust if I didn't wipe them down with oil good after handling them. Not Lee's fault, I seem to have acid or something in my sweat that rusts some metals if not oiled after use. I do use a Lyman M die for cast boolits in the 30-30. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Master
    I used RCBS dies to load .30-30 whenever I had one. I have two expander/decapper assemblies for the FL die; one has an expander for .308" jacketed bullets, and the other has an expander from a .303 British die set for use with cast bullets. Not as elegant as having a Lyman M die, but it always did the job.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

I use standard RCBS 30-30 dies along with a Lyman M-die for neck expanding .
    These days I would get a NOE expander plug in place of the M-Die ...
    NOE wasn't making them when I started reloading cast in 30-30 ... I think Jimmy Carter was president at the time ... Al "Swede" Nelson may not have even been born then !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    When I started reloading cast in 30-30 ... I think Jimmy Carter was president at the time ... Al "Swede" Nelson may not have even been born then !
    Gary
    Hah, I started when Johnson was in office!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Started here when Ford was President!

I think I run RCBS standard FL dies for 30-30 Win but especially for cast, I can see the advantage of running a bushing sizer die to minimize overworking case necks.

For a seater die I like the new dimension Hornady.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 07-27-2023 at 08:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

RCBS standard FL die set for a long time, but for the last decade or so Lee standard FL die set.
    I’ve loaded cast for a Winchester 94, a Marlin 336, and my 1916 Mauser(30-30) with great results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Hah, I started when Johnson was in office!
    same for me.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

311-041 FV - 2 cavity, steel, Lyman mold (still available)
    309-170 - 1 cavity, steel, Lyman mold (unobtainium)
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I think most ASSUME you are loading for a LEVER ACTION. Started with Pacific dies(1964), seating die has separate adjustment for crimping. Using Lee dies now, though Redding are really nice, Lyman M die, a 30 and 31, my 30 measures .3065 with a .309 step, my 31 measures .3095 with 313 step. I use the Lyman M 31 for most cast. I do like the Lee Factory Crimp, if loading for a tube feed lever gun, but you can do a good job with most seating dies with some careful adjustment. I have used a Redding 's' bushing die in .308 for neck sizing but did not find any advantages to it. I use the Redding Competition shell holders to set headspace so sizing die adjustment is set by the shell holder, but I have used a Lyman 310 'Tong' Tool with good results if loading empties from the rifle in which they were fired. Mostly I use .310 185 Flatnose Gascheck bullets from Matt's Bullets. The Lyman 311041 works if not undersized, many other good molds, Lee , NOE, RCBS all have 30cal flatnose that work well. If NOT a lever or Savage pump gun crimp is not necessary and pointed and roundnose can be considered.

IIRC my expander spud is 30P, goes full length of the neck. RCBS dies for cast, hornady for jacketed. If you anneal the cases, they won't fail as often.
    Whatever!

My .30-30 dies are Lachmiller and they cost me $10 at a Gun Show. They work fine but I haven't loaded any .30-30's in years. If I was to replace them it would be Lee. The Lee Collet Neck Sizer is the best out there, and the Collet Crimper is perfect for Jacketed bullets. Just like .303 cases these should be neck sized only until you need to set back the shoulder a few thou. Then you need that F/L die.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast