RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Shipping a scope

Boolit Master

Shipping a scope

Who would to trust to ship a 33 in brass scope? It is 3/4 in diameter
    Ups,Fedx or USPS.

Boolit Master
    None of them will treat it with loving care so robust packaging is your friend. With that said, I'd probably go with USPS over the others. All of the major carriers lose and damage shipments every day - I can't begin to tell you how many boxes UPS has lost in my experience dealing with them.

Boolit Grand Master

Packaging will be more important. A heavy cardboard tube bigger than the scope wrap scope in bubble wrap to a snug fit and insert and seal ends. I save the heavy tubes and ends my metal stock come in. They are heavy cardboard with snap in plastic caps.

Boolit Buddy
    If I was doing so I'd most strongly consider bubble wrapping that optic and inserting it in a stout pvc pipe...then package that and try it...............leastways you'd make 'em work to bust it!

Moderator Emeritus

USPS
    bubble pak is your friend.
    If you happen to be forced to use a flimsy box, then I'd reinforce the insides with something less flimsy.
    If this is a rare expensive scope, I'd consider using a Hardside long gun case, when you buy a new one, they usually come in a box that could be reused for shipping purposes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Once upon a time, I worked for a company that made research-grade optical equipment (spectrometers, fluorometers, etc.) and we routinely shipped delicate components worldwide...many to third-world locations...without damage.

Find (or make) a sturdy cardboard box that leaves plenty of clearance around the scope. Line the box with plastic sheet (heavy-trash can liners work great). Place scope in plastic bag and seal/secure bag with strapping tape. Shoot a layer of canned insulating foam ('Tough Stuff' from Home Depot works good) into the bottom of the box. Press the wrapped scope into the foam before it hardens and cover with a sheet of plasic. Then shoot some more foam to fill the space above the scope. Allow to harden, clean off any excess, close box, and ship. Reminder: insulating foam expands rapidly so don't get carried away on that bottom layer. Also, may be necessary to trim excess from top to close box; a hacksaw blade works pretty good if you don't have a wood rasp.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 07-14-2023 at 11:23 AM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    USPS, in a heavy PVC pipe, padded, insured for at least double what you think its worth...

depending on length + value USPS priority [ free tracking + $100.00 free insurance - is preferable + you will know within 3 days if package is lost - also overseas regulations restrict rifle scopes shipped to them - fyi UPS possibly going on strike end of this month -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

The size and weight of the box will determine cost. Once you have those values you can check the web sites, of the shippers, to get a cost. I would suggest any shipper besides the post office. They say “Free” add-ons but we know it’s not free. They have a very poor customer service if you need to file a claim.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    Barring a heavy cardboard tube, the idea of using a PVC pipe is a good one. Bunch of foam/bubble-wrap into the tube ends, along with wrapping the scope in bubble wrap. If you can glue a PVC end cap on one end, and securely tape a end cap on the other end, good to go.

Anyone asks, it's a telescope (not an evil rifle scope, heaven forbid ).

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    I did think about canned foam,great idea

Boolit Master
    For very expensive items,, the plastic bag, lining a box, a small layer of expanding foam, allow to harden, then add another small layer of foam, and as noted, prior to it fully curing, place the plastic wrapped scope in the stuff. (Wear gloves to prevent that sticky stuff from getting on your hands.) Follow by covering up things with more expanding foam.
    A few points of experience here;
    Too much foam at one time doesn't cure as easily or as quickly. it can get uncured areas trapped inside it.
    As noted,, a hacksaw blade, or a long bladed serrated knife can easily cut foam after it's cured.
    Include a complete packing info paperwork inside the bag with the scope. Add a second one to the box after the foam is cured & trimmed. That way, the receiver has good info, AND just in case the package gets any damages,, details are with the scope.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    Who would to trust to ship a 33 in brass scope? It is 3/4 in diameter
    Ups,Fedx or USPS.
    Ha, got caught up in the packaging, which is also important (see my previous post). As for your question, first ask the person you are shipping too. That is most important as that is the final delivery area.

Some shippers are good, and others are really bad. It depends upon the area of delivery.

I have customers that state flat out: use Fed-X, otherwise I won't get the package. Others state the same about UPS and USPS.

It is easy to get a package into the system. Getting it out of the system to the customer is the key. Ask them who is most reliable or if they have a preference.

45_Colt

when i used to sell on EBAY + now on other venues ever since USPS started with priority mail, i have had 1 lost shipment + one damaged one in over 900 shipments + yes it took between 4 +( weeks to have claims paid, but iwas never out of any money - also if CMP forums are working there are several posters that stated UPS denied loss + damage claims because they have a new policy restricting gun parts shipments to + from licensed dealers only -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Our most reliable carriers are USPS, UPS and Fed-X, in that order. Post office carrier will always come down our driveway - the others are hit and miss. Last week, I caught Fed-X leaving a large package near our heavily traveled road - right out where anyone could see it driving by. A few years ago, they left 500 rounds of 45 ACP about ten feet from the road - I was lucky enough to be coming down the road and saw the truck pulling away from the stop.

Scopes are made to handle sudden shocks from recoil. Being padded and in a box that gets dropped is no big deal.
    If you pack it so it can't very easily get crushed or smashed-- you shouldn't have any problems.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    USPS, in a heavy PVC pipe, padded, insured for at least double what you think its worth...
    Good advice
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    USPS policy for decades, you can over insure it but they will only pay fair market value + not insured value - i learned this the hard way when i shipped a very expensive purse for my daughter that they lost in transit - -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

UPS is about to go on strike ....
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.