RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Bfr 45/70

Boolit Master

Bfr 45/70

I have worked up a great hunting load with a NOE 400 gr mold

But I was thinking about cutting a new mold for it
    I was wondering if anyone has tried a 250 gr plain base bullet in the BFR 45/70

I am thinking on basing the bullet on the profile of the LEE C452 300 RF
    But doing away with the gas check and shorting the bullet OAL to drop a 250 gr .460 or .459 flat nose bullet

I am thinking maybe 1000 FPS
    I have tried 350 gr GC and 325 gr GC bullets from a mold I recut RCBS from a 300 gr GC mold
    Both shoot good

But I was thinking a lite plain based bullet should be a fun plinking bullet
    I am looking for a low recoil , fun to shoot load

I would be killing paper targets and pop cans out to 100 yards
    Maybe a groundhog or 2 also

Your thoughts ?

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    NOE's collar button....

Boolit Master
    So try it and see ?? About 10 grs of unique makes for a light load, I would look for maybe 1200 FPS though ? I shoot a 515 gr pure lead bullet in my 45/60 for giggles with unique, start at about 10 gr and work up to an accurate light load ?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post
    NOE's collar button....
    +1 on the NOE collar button.

Boolit Master
    I've had a BFR 45/70 for years and used to shoot a 510-515 cast in it at slightly over 1400 fps.
    It was brisk.

If this is an inappropriate post then I will remove it. Let me know by PM.
    Thanks.

Boolit Master

No problems

I have used cast in the BFR 45/70 from 300 gr to 450 gr

I just was thinking about a easy to shoot
    And Lead Use reducing LOL 250 gr plain base bullet

I trued up a pair of chunks of Al plate tonight

Just need to do the math as for how tall to cut the bullet
    As I am thinking about making the nose short to increase the bearing surface a bit

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

Whatever design you decide on; make sure the boolit is not undersized!

I've been tinkering lately with a 400 grain plinking boolit for my Uberti 1885 45-70. A 10x beefed-up 22.LR so to speak.
    The idea was to create a boolit with maximum bearing surface. The design should be a nose-pour for best fill out and to avoid voids (he, he)
    I also decided to add a slight bottom-bevel and a radius on the edge of the base for easier loading, and at the same time doing away with the base insert.

The cavity was made using an EDM machine with a graphite electrode. The process allows for adjusting the diameter to any size you want.

When I tested the mold, I found that the boolits dropped slightly oval: .457 to .459. The cavities should have been "cut" .001 deeper.
    I decided to test the boolit anyway, ran them through a ,459 sizer and gave it a try. The result was abysmal: the boolits would keyhole at 40 yards!

Well, somewhat puzzled, I turned to another design made at the same time: a "normal" two cavity mold with a 460 grains bore rider.

The first test showed definite promises. However, the boolits were to the small side, and would show untouched spots when sized to .459
    I then tried a .457 sizer (the gun is exactly .4575 in bore size) and the boolits were all over the target.

Next step was to do a test and compare .457 size to .459. The target speaks for itself: the left, topmost group was sized to .457, and the bottom to .459
    (I adjusted the scope between the groups)

I'm going to enlarge the 460 design a little, and size them to .460. The nose pour boolit will be giving the same treatment, and hopefully the groups will improove.

I had never dreamt that boolit size could make such a difference! Perhaps the fact that I'm running the boolits at a rather slow speed (1100 fps)
    has something to do with it? No "bumping up" perhaps?

Anyway, enough rambling from my side. Just make sure those boolits are big enough, you hear?
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    Saeco makes a 45 cal wadcutter block for 45 Colt that's 225 grs granted the diameter is .454 but as cast should drop at .456. I have the 250 gr version drop at .456 and use it in my 45/70 rifles and is reasonably accurate at 50 yds. Perhaps Saeco can make a block to a larger diameter but the NOE collar buttom looks like it might be fun to shoot.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot a lot of Rapine 460210 (210 gr) and 460250s (270 gr) out of my TDs. the 210s run 987 fps and the 270s run 1050 fps out of the rifles. I load them both over Bullseye, 6 and 8 gr respectively.

A friend who has a BFR shot some of both through his BFR and loved them as they were very pleasant to shoot. He got a 250 gr mould, sorry don't remember the maker. Rapine is no longer in business. I think your idea is a very good one. Bullseye powder would be my first choice to try with the 250 gr bullets you mention.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    No problems

I have used cast in the BFR 45/70 from 300 gr to 450 gr

I just was thinking about a easy to shoot
    And Lead Use reducing LOL 250 gr plain base bullet

I trued up a pair of chunks of Al plate tonight

Just need to do the math as for how tall to cut the bullet
    As I am thinking about making the nose short to increase the bearing surface a bit

John
    The short bearing surface is where my mind went at the beginning of this thread. I was gonna say I’d try 300 grains, but realized you were cutting your own mold. I’ll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Boolit Master

I shot some of my TD loads through a friends BFR.
    457124 HP with a TD safe load of IMR4198.
    The bullet weighed around 385gr.
    It was very pleasant to shoot.

Banner Sponsor

44Man made me a 300gn mold for my 45-70 BFR many years ago. I've been searching for a picture, but can't find it. The mold was destroyed in our shop fire several years ago.
    A 255RF at around .460" should make a great plinker.

I was looking for a light weight bullet for my Marlin 45-70 and a 458x2 bolt action. I had Jard at Arsenal Molds cut his 453-230 Gr RF for me. He offers custom diameters in any of his designs. The bullet is designed at .453 and I had him bring it out to.459. The plan is to powder coat and size accordingly. I use NOE expanders to try to get good neck tension. If a crimp is needed I’ll lightly crimp in the lube groove. I don’t feel that a crimp is needed as these are going to be run at around 1000 - 1100 fps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	316080
    I’ve also picked up a NOE collar button mold on their last sale. Unfortunately due to life’s circumstances this project has been put on hold for a bit. Hopefully will get back at it soon.

Boolit Master

A shooting buddy has a BFR. Tried a lot of different bullets. Accuracy was best with the 350 Ranch Dog.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

If you want to try light bullets in a 45-70, you can paper patch pistol bullets and get good results. #454190 works especially well. I went through that years ago to see what would happen, and try to get a light recoiling load for cowboy silhouette matches. My conclusion was that they are plenty accurate and great fun to shoot but you almost need interchangeable front sight blades because they hit so far from the point of aim when regulated for normal weight bullets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by glaciers View Post
    I was looking for a light weight bullet for my Marlin 45-70 and a 458x2 bolt action. I had Jard at Arsenal Molds cut his 453-230 Gr RF for me. He offers custom diameters in any of his designs. The bullet is designed at .453 and I had him bring it out to.459. The plan is to powder coat and size accordingly. I use NOE expanders to try to get good neck tension. If a crimp is needed I’ll lightly crimp in the lube groove. I don’t feel that a crimp is needed as these are going to be run at around 1000 - 1100 fps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	316080
    I’ve also picked up a NOE collar button mold on their last sale. Unfortunately due to life’s circumstances this project has been put on hold for a bit. Hopefully will get back at it soon.
    OK
    I cut the molds before I saw your post
    I cut 2 - 1 cavity molds
    One looks a lot like your picture of the Arsenal Molds bullet
    But maybe a slightly shorter nose

The other mold I cut has a lot shorter nose
    To make it easy , I made a simple 45 degree angle from the meplat to the .460 of the body of the bullet
    With a meplat of .400

As of right now
    The molds are sitting on the kitchen table
    But I have not tested them

John

When you cast up a few please post pictures

Then a range report. I’m hoping to get time to load and test my two light weights.

Although I’m going to cheat and use a Marlin.