Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just for fun

Boolit Master

^^^^^ What Larry ask.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    "Wilderness".......where?
    Minnesota and Canada
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Definitely the SAA .45 Colt. if a handgun, otherwise a good winchester pump 12 gauge with both shot and slug loads. Never know when you might run into a big bear!

Boolit Grand Master

In the 60s I recall "bricks" being 1,000 rounds.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If limited to one handgun and no long gun, 6" .38 Special with heavy hardcast slugs driven to respectable velocity. I'm not going to pretend I can shoot true big bore wheelguns.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Well, I’d take a 4” N frame .44 special with loads very similar to those Mr. Keith worked up.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Buddy

Well, since it's "just for fun". My Shop Keeper .45 Colt SAA, in a belt holster with 5 in the revolver, and another 5 packed with my gear.

Moderator Emeritus

Running the Yukon to Whitehorse, I would take a 1917 S&W in 45 AR and a 18" double bbl 12 gauge. 100 rds of 45 Auto Rim 250 gr bullets and 50 rds #4 shot, 15 rounds 00 buck, 15 rds slugs. Main meals would be fish with ducks and geese a second source. Handgun is for grouse, snowshoe rabbits and surprising a bear. No reason to shoot anything with 4 legs unless I am threatened. Sack of beans, sack of flour and spices. Plenty of pike and what have you in the river.

Boundery waters, or Lake of the Woods gets the same thing.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Running the Yukon to Whitehorse, I would take a 1917 S&W in 45 AR and a 18" double bbl 12 gauge. 100 rds of 45 Auto Rim 250 gr bullets and 50 rds #4 shot, 15 rounds 00 buck, 15 rds slugs. Main meals would be fish with ducks and geese a second source. Handgun is for grouse, snowshoe rabbits and surprising a bear. No reason to shoot anything with 4 legs unless I am threatened. Sack of beans, sack of flour and spices. Plenty of pike and what have you in the river.....Boundary Waters, or Lake of the Woods gets the same thing.

Pretty good advice from MtGianni that I'll 2nd. But I could be talked into a .44 Spl. Smith or Colt with some of those new fangled Keith SWC's. Rod
    Rod

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    In the humor and off topic section I posted a link to a video showing film shot in 1935 if a 21 day canoe trip. It was pretty well received and I got to thinking, always dangerous, about what sidearm the boys might have taken on their adventure. I decided to start a thread about it. So here goes.

The year is 1935. You are going to spend 21 days on a wilderness canoe trip. You will be paddling and portaging everything you take. What handgun, only those available in 1935, do you take?

My answer: Colt Woodsman target with the 5 or 5 1/2" barrel (whichever was offered) and a 500 round brick of high speed hollow points. 2 spare magazines.

Reasons: Light weight for the time. Accurate. Not too loud. Some gun is better than no gun. Enough ammo to do lots of plinking.

What is your choice and why?
    I am an old guy and would see little or no fun in that trip. Portaging, bugs, swamps, more bugs, sleeping on the ground, more bugs. Foraging is fun if you are good at it. Not so much fun if pickings are slim. Fishing seems like the better choice.

Probably stay home and listen to what those Nazi’s are up to. Might go and play with that newfangled .357 Mag folks are talking about.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Darn, Don you sound just like me,I`m 69 and hate the bugs, sleeping on the ground . But when I was young man I did alot of stuff that I can`t do or would not like to do now. I like dreaming about it though. Good post .

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fivegunner View Post
    Darn, Don you sound just like me,I`m 69 and hate the bugs, sleeping on the ground . But when I was young man I did alot of stuff that I can`t do or would not like to do now. I like dreaming about it though. Good post .
    Yep hate bugs.

Caught the Chinese Bug this week. Lost 7 lbs and short of breath. Paxlovid seems to be helping but dealing with constant the metallic taste in my mouth. Did I mention I hate bugs?
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, it’s Saturday afternoon and I’m in my recliner at home, so I’ll go into Walter Mitty mode and daydream along. A classic gun that I believe would have been available in 1935 was the over and under combo gun, with a 22 LR upper barrel and a 20 ga lower barrel. I wouldn’t be doing a lot of plinking and space in my Old Town cedar and canvas canoe is tight, so I’d carry a couple of boxes of 20 ga shells and a couple of hundred rounds of 22 LR in my floating, waterproof duffle bag as well as a “wallet” in my pocket with a few rounds of each. At least one good folding knife and a good moderate sized hunting knife on my person and perhaps spare of each in that duffle would also be necessary. I’d have to have two fishing rods, a short casting rod and a medium fly rod with a tackle box of necessities and a grille and cookware to use over an open fire… a minimum of a cast iron skillet and enamel pan and coffee pot. With minimal clothes, sleeping gear and tent/poncho, that Old Town is filling up fast. Add a spare paddle, a kapok float and some staples packed in a waterproof sack and I’m glad it’s just me in my canoe!
    Froggie
    PS If I felt the need for a sidearm I’d add a High Standard Model B in a hip holster and another box or two of 22s and a spare mag to the duffle bag. This is a pleasure trip so if I encounter bear or moose, I’ll leave them alone if possible.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12