Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: 1911 Magazines.

1911 Magazines.

I have about a half dozen of each of these I’ve acquired over the years. I’ve always wondered are both Colt factory magazines? Or just the ones with the pony?

The bottom for sure.
    The top one is 'probably'. Usually a company puts their own name on mags. or there isn't one at all.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    The bottom for sure.
    The top one is 'probably'. Usually a company puts their own name on mags. or there isn't one at all.
    That's what I was thinking, based on some other reading I've done it looks like the top one is probably a military surplus magazine. The funny thing is the top style I have bought from my LGS for $10 because he thinks they are some off brand imported junk. But if it has the rampant pony on it he wants $45! I think that's more than Colt charges new. I know of at least 3 local gun shops that were taking one magazine out of the Colt box, and selling them separate for $30-$35 years ago. Word got around and their distributors told them no more or they wouldn't get any more pistols. I don't know how true it is but I heard that at one time this got to be such a problem that Colt only shipped pistols with 1 magazine. I've never opened a new Colt box that I can recall to see if they come with 1 or 2 magazines.

just checked all 9 of my U.S. issue ones, none of the WWI or WWII have markings on base - the post war ones are marked with the national stock number - i have several like top one in picture + iirc they are aftermarket -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    My GI ones were either unmarked or had the stock numbers on them. I had a few with the lanyard ring as well, unmarked. The only Colt marked mags were from my Dad's 1911 commercial pistol and my FIL's NM pistol.

Boolit Master
    There are a lot of fake mags with the stock number on the bottom, the feed lips on the fakes don’t last long. I’ve used them for range mags, have also thrown some away. Someone sold then as ww2 surplus new on wrappers in the 1980s or 90s and since most folks fondle their guns more than shoot them they haven’t all broken yet.

Boolit Buddy
    The bottom magazine with the Colt Pony and the M. Is a Colt Factory supplied magazine made by Metalform. They are well made magazines.
    Rick

Pictures of the top mag will help.

Here are some pics. Turns out I have 10 of these all identical. I bought about half of them from various places and got the other half from my grandfather. He says he got them from the shop he bought his lightweight commander from in the 60’s.

Boolit Master
    Metalform was mentioned on one, they're a good mag. Many outside vendors made mags for Colt and others that were factory mags.

jmho - mags pictured in post # 9 are definitely not Colt or GI, common aftermarket - feed lips, arched + dimpled follower - Sarco + others are currently selling them with floor plate marked like yours - have you function tested them ? -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    jmho - mags pictured in post # 9 are definitely not Colt or GI, common aftermarket - feed lips, arched + dimpled follower - Sarco + others are currently selling them with floor plate marked like yours - have you function tested them ? -
    I’m be used them all with various guns over the last 5-10 years.

Boolit Master

Colt has not made magazines in a very long time. As noted, the one has a "M" which is put on "Colt" magazines made by Metalform. The other maker Colt is supposed to have making them magazines is Checkmate, and for theirs look for a small "C" stamped on it somewhere.

The arched, dimpled follower does not look anything like a "Colt" magazine, made by anyone.

You are blessed to still have your Grandfather. Both of mine died before I was born, one in 1940 and the other in 1955.

Boolit Grand Master
    As long as they work, who cares?

I will agree that the magazine shown in post #9 is not a GI mag:; all the ones I ever saw had flat followers, whether they had the NSN on them or not.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I think metalform made the arched follower, not 100% sure. More sure that it was not purchased by US mil.

It looks like a metalform made mag to me. Not GI, but I think it's a real colt mag.

Thanks for the info everyone.