Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 Revolver Rifle

22 Revolver Rifle

What's not to like? I would exchange at least half of my 22's for one of these.

I mean .... Just look at it. Sigh - out of my price bracket. Starting bid is $4000 and buy now is $5000.

It's a ALFA CARBINE REVOLVER RIFLE. Never heard of it and didn't know anyone ever made such a thing. But I want one!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    weird. Wouldn't the pressure loss due to the cylinder gap rather limit the ability to build pressure in the barrel and achieve velocity???
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy

The idea wasn't popular when it was introduced in the Civil War. Expense to make and were dumped for $1,25 after the war. GW
    Last edited by G W Wade; 07-13-2023 at 04:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Bub
    Looks great, but then again, I like obscure things. Good Luck Chris

Apparently Heritage makes a similar rifle for less than $300 in the states. No forearm though.

https://www.guns.com/firearms/rifles/revolver

You can make your own with a S&W-type .22 revolver, a take-off .22 barrel, some stock wood - and determination.

This one was homemade with a folding metal buttstock and a NAA Mini SA .22 revolver.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Blocking gas, powder particles, maybe lead particles from the cylinder gap has always been an issue with the revolver rifles. Most revolving rifles do not have any guards against the side blast. Side blast is very significant in most calibers, even .22's. It is legal to make a rifle out of a handgun, just do not make a handgun out of a rifle, check the regulation specs, barrel length over 16", total length over, total length over 26".

That flash guard tells you something.
    Without it, be sure to wear protective gear for your forward arm.
    Imagine one of the big Colt C&B revolving rifles having a chain fire- bye bye arm.
    Now a Luger carbine; now you’re talking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the OP's in New Zealand, I'm willing to bet that the laws there are vastly different from US laws.

$5G’s is another Shiloh Sharps rifle and a beautiful one at that with lots of bells and whistles .

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Since the OP's in New Zealand, I'm willing to bet that the laws there are vastly different from US laws.
    Yup. The biggest issue would be to find a 22 revolver. One could possibly get an import permit. I just happen to have one or two 22 barrels lying around.

I'm guessing that one would need HV ammo to achieve reasonable subsonic velocities. Since it would be just a novelty fun gun, velocity wouldn't matter much. It does make me wonder though, whether one could minimise the cylinder gap?

I had an Astra Cadix 9 shot 22 revolver once with a 4 9nch barrel. With that I could put all 9 rounds into a palm size group at 110 yds. I never noticed any bullet drop with it. One doesn't normally shoot that far with a revolver. Well, apart from shooting it like a mortar (which I did do once) out to 600 meters. I managed to keep my shots into about the area of a bus. Oh yes, I fitted a butt stock to it but that was after the 110 yd and 600 meter shooting.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 07-17-2023 at 12:12 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never owned nor shot a revolving rifle or carbine, but I have seen and felt a lot of gas blowing out the barrel/ cylinder gap on numerous revolvers. That I think puts this class firearm squarely into the "In theory it should work fine, reality not so much" category.

Taurus/ Rossi went to the trouble to design a flash guard for their shoulder fired version of the Judge .410 revolving shotgun.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

That flash guard tells you something.
    Without it, be sure to wear protective gear for your forward arm.

OR................

Pietro, that’s the best way to shoot one, especially the C&B type.
    That NAA custom is neat!

T Y, TbG

Boolit Grand Master
    God sure made us unique. I would not pay $200 for the thing. Reminds me of a transvestite gun. Born a pistol and wants to be a rifle.

$5k is nuts. I'll take a CZ457, good scope and $3500 of ammunition..
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Well Don.... differfent strokes! I was actually wanting to convert my Ruger Single Six (1980's vintage) to a revolving carbine many years ago. The reasons... versatility mostly, it will handle .22 BB caps, CB caps, shorts, long, long rifle and .22 mag. with the conversion cylinder.

That and the fact that in Canada the only places you can shoot a handgun are private property and a licensed gun range. We are not allowed to carry a handgun anywhere except directly to and from a licensed range or private property. Consequently my Single Six wasn't getting used much and I thought turning it into a revolving carbine would be a good idea and reversible as well. I didn't get to it though.

And now a new reason, handgun sales have been banned in Canada recently. So, I can keep my Single Six handgun but I can't sell it, give it away or leave it to my kids! When I die it gets siezed and destroyed by the police. So, recently I reinitiated the idea for a revolving carbine by putting a .22 rifle barrel on it and a buttstock but it turns out that the Government isn't likely to de-register it and won't tell me until after I pay for the conversion which would cost several hundred dollars the gunsmith tells me.

I doubt the Heritage revolving carbine is the same quality as the Ruger but it appears to be the only option currently for those of us with the affliction of wanting a revolving carbine... if we don't want to pay $5000 anyway!

Of course a revolving carbine is not likely to provide the accuracy of a good bolt gun or single shot.

Not sure about NZ gun laws but it looks like I won't be making a revolving carbine in Canada. I'd want to handle a Heritage revolving carbine before spending any money on one but the price is right for a fun little, versatile, plinking rifle.

YMMV

Longbow
    Last edited by longbow; 07-18-2023 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Typo's

I like .22 rifles that don’t require hearing protection. Or safety glasses….,

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I like .22 rifles that don’t require hearing protection. Or safety glasses….,

That's a good point. Only two of my 22's have suppressors. Range shooting require hearing protection anyway but if I had a revolver rifle I would not be hunting anyway so earmuffs would be Ok.

Boolit Master
    $4-5K- One really nice 22, say a Christensen carbon fiber threaded, Mask suppressor, scope, mounts, sling, a very nice 22 revolver with holster and belt, a couple thousand rounds of ammo, targets, adult beverages when I am done to cook some great pieces of cow. I know, give me a minute I have just a little more to spend!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast