RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New To Swagging!

Boolit Master

New To Swagging!

Well,

I just acquired a used set of BT Snipers swage dies. It’s the Simple line of tooling that utilizes 22 LR fired cases and produces .224” jacketed bullets and a three cavity core mold.

It’s been a long road but patience finally paid off. I recall reading about Corbin making and selling dies and presses about thirty years ago and wishing money grew on trees!

A member on here on Boolits sold them at a price I felt justified my investing in.

Saving money swagging compared to buying j-words is one metric but I value the ability to make my own regardless of shortages as well. My casting currently includes .25 caliber but no smaller and to really let a higher performance 22 Centerfire blossom, in my opinion, jacketed still reins!

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

its a deep expensive rabbit hole
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    How much .22 brass you want ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    How much .22 brass you want ?

I have a decent supply as I have been saving my own fired stuff since the early 90’s, more than enough to allow me to ascertain if this is going to stick (swagging) but what do you have in mind?

Three44s

Can you show me how this works - is it a cheaper version of that super expensive version I also lusted over some years ago? How well do they shoot, good plinking bullets?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I have a decent supply as I have been saving my own fired stuff since the early 90’s, more than enough to allow me to ascertain if this is going to stick (swagging) but what do you have in mind?

Three44s
    I have 9 - 5 gallon pails full of 99.9% match .22 brass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Can you show me how this works - is it a cheaper version of that super expensive version I also lusted over some years ago? How well do they shoot, good plinking bullets?
    I have seen them shoot very well at 300 meters in competition..

Boolit Master
    New, this set saves money. Look at BT snipers web site or here in his Vendor Section. The BT Simple is less complicated but less sophisticated in that your choices in what you can make are fewer.

There are folks that have figured out some work around to give some more flexibility with this system.

I lucked out because the member I bought this set also sold the top and bottom bars to fit my reloading press (we happen to use the same brand and model). Plus he made and provided a pair of new press side bars to aid in leverage plus a custom press handle (I think I better not eat Wheaties and run it afterwards though).

Those top and bottom bars give you auto eject so I have that upgrade which speeds up each cycle.

But I bought a slightly used set and THAT big savings is what really clinched it for me.

I have much to learn about the processes though. Notice I use processes because the annealing and cleaning the future jackets and die adjustments are each and every one a process unto it self and caring for these expensive dies is job one.

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Master
    I too recently dove into to swaging of .22 LR brass into .223 bullets. I too was able to purchase a set of Corbin dies from a FINE gentleman here. I have already made about 300 bullets,, and haven't had the time to load any & try them out,,yet. (Work, and other commitments,) but it will happen soon.

You are right,, a different learning curve,, but I too enjoy the independence of making my own.

I'm currently scrounging .22 LR brass to make more!

I looked at the price and unfortunately I have to bow out. Perhaps someday, thank you very much.

Boolit Master
    I looked at the price and unfortunately I have to bow out. Perhaps someday, thank you very much.
    If I had not been fortunate and found the used set I just acquired I would still be on the sidelines. No doubt about it.

Three44s

If you are still interested in seeing how it is done, look it up on YouTube and check out Ammo Smith reloading. I found his videos very helpful when I started. I would stay away from the regulars like Hickock and Fortune Cookie.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    If you are still interested in seeing how it is done, look it up on YouTube and check out Ammo Smith reloading. I found his videos very helpful when I started. I would stay away from the regulars like Hickock and Fortune Cookie.
    I appreciate that tip. I have two must haves to secure: A way to anneal that’s pretty controllable and a true water tight tumbler.

If the jackets are not clean (and it seems every time you turn around they are not) then they need a run through some solution and SS pins OR they need annealing, which means they have scale on them from the previous annealing and they need tumbling ....

Jeeeze, either I have gotten the Kamala Harris “itis” and am stuck, repeating myself or this swagging business is a closed loop:

Soak head in soapy water, rinse, repeat .....

Kidding, I hope?

Three44s

Boolit Master
    I'm using a "Thumbler's Tumbler" to do my wet tumble of my brass. Pretty darn good about not leaking.

Then, to separate the pins from the cleaned brass,,, I use a Dillon media separator with clean water in it. I rotate the brass several times in a clean water bath, and the pins fall inside the tub. Quick & easy.
    Spread them out to dry on a towel, fold the towel over, wiping them down, then transferring them to another dry towel for them to dry inside.

Finished bullets get a dry tumble in plain walnut shell media.

I appreciate that tip. I have two must haves to secure: A way to anneal that’s pretty controllable and a true water tight tumbler.

If the jackets are not clean (and it seems every time you turn around they are not) then they need a run through some solution and SS pins OR they need annealing, which means they have scale on them from the previous annealing and they need tumbling ....

Jeeeze, either I have gotten the Kamala Harris “itis” and am stuck, repeating myself or this swagging business is a closed loop:

Soak head in soapy water, rinse, repeat .....

Kidding, I hope?

Three44s
    Three44s

I started with a lee 20lb dipper pot with a steel plate over the top to keep the heat in. Fill it about 3 quarters up, go till they are glowing, you may have to stir them some. I now have a variable temperature hobby ceramic oven.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

I built my own wet tumbler with some 4" sewage pipe, a windshield wiper motor, some inline skate wheels, quarter inch all thread and some wood. I needed a power supply and had a very old "Radio Shack" 12 volt power supply I have had forever. That and a double pole switch wired so I could reverse the motor when screwing it on and off of the drum. I tried lap top power supplies but they did not have the amps to turn the motor.

For separating pins, I bought this magnet off Amazon. Screwed a piece of 1/4" all thread where the eyebolt goes, got some 2" PVC and end cap. I drilled a hole through the end cap and ran the rod through. I got some thin plastic I had laying around and glued and taped it to the other end. With this I can run the magnet over the brass and pull most of the pins out. I pull on the rod and the magnet releases the pins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mag-01.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	315945
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    I'm using a "Thumbler's Tumbler" to do my wet tumble of my brass. Pretty darn good about not leaking.

Then, to separate the pins from the cleaned brass,,, I use a Dillon media separator with clean water in it. I rotate the brass several times in a clean water bath, and the pins fall inside the tub. Quick & easy.
    Spread them out to dry on a towel, fold the towel over, wiping them down, then transferring them to another dry towel for them to dry inside.

Finished bullets get a dry tumble in plain walnut shell media.
    Thanks for the tip! Cleaning is definitely one of the two most Universal must to do projects in prepping rimfire fore jacket making.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    Three44s

I started with a lee 20lb dipper pot with a steel plate over the top to keep the heat in. Fill it about 3 quarters up, go till they are glowing, you may have to stir them some. I now have a variable temperature hobby ceramic oven.

I will probably go the same way, use covered lead pot, then graduate to a small ceramics oven for better control.

Thanks

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 07-30-2023 at 02:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I built my own wet tumbler with some 4" sewage pipe, a windshield wiper motor, some inline skate wheels, quarter inch all thread and some wood. I needed a power supply and had a very old "Radio Shack" 12 volt power supply I have had forever. That and a double pole switch wired so I could reverse the motor when screwing it on and off of the drum. I tried lap top power supplies but they did not have the amps to turn the motor.

For separating pins, I bought this magnet off Amazon. Screwed a piece of 1/4" all thread where the eyebolt goes, got some 2" PVC and end cap. I drilled a hole through the end cap and ran the rod through. I got some thin plastic I had laying around and glued and taped it to the other end. With this I can run the magnet over the brass and pull most of the pins out. I pull on the rod and the magnet releases the pins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mag-01.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	315945
    If you do not love successful improvisation stories, you just ain’t American! I like it!

I never remember it until I have a magnet fouled up with rust and dirt (when I am trying to find something ferrous on the ground) but having a rag of some sort wrapped around the magnet makes releasing the “load” much faster than picking little pieces off onesies and two sides directly off of it.

Fortunately, you have another way figured out to more easily dump your load of chips as well.

An electric magnet would also save time and frustration.

Just thinking through this chip removal though, it seems that every RF case will need a positive internal eye balling to ensure that the one in a thousand does not still harbor an SS pin or two?

I suppose the magnet should capture those sneaky cases retaining even one SS pin?

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 07-14-2023 at 09:44 AM.

Boolit Master
    I purchased a cheaper Harbor Freight "quick release magnet" many years ago. While I'd prefer the magnet to be a little stronger,, it's similar to what Sasquatch-1 did. I haven't tried to use it to see if I've missed any pins in my cleanings. Usually a very vigorous water tumble seems to do it perfectly. (But never say never.)
    I'll try my cheaper magnet by placing a pin inside a brass case to see what happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast