RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: New Hodgdon High Gun powder

Boolit Master

New Hodgdon High Gun powder

Turns out to be TiteGroup in a new package, very dense and very small grains, so naturally some leakage from Mec loader with brass washer under rubber grommet. A load of 19.4 gr has little volume and a Fed SO3 clone and 1 1/8 shot doesn’t come close to filling Top Gun hull. Had a bag of the BPI frangible plastic OS card and that crimped perfectly but of course that’s extra time and expense. Does produce a mild pressure load at 1250 fps. The loading data and powder bushings are the same as Titegroup. They sure do make things complicated though, so thought I’d give you a heads up about the volume issue.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I purchased some of the new Perfect Pattern powder. Same issue with shot column height also. I had been using Remington Gun Club hulls. The solution that reloaders on the other forums use, is to get one size lighter shotcups, I.E., 1oz shotcups for 1 1/8, 7/8 oz shotcups for 1 oz, and 3/4 oz for 7/8 oz loadings. Seems to work pretty good for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Not to mention that all Hodgdon's straight wall hull data uses taper hull wads.

I tried 18 gr under the 4100-12 Windjammer Lightning wad with 1 1/8 shot. Stack height looked great, but in my first box I got two off sounding reports and two bloopers. I just got some CB 12S0 clones to try this weekend.

18 gr in a Winchester Universal hull with the WAA12SL worked great at around 1225 fps.

The advice to run a wad 1/8 oz under your desired payload is spot on.

Apparently Hodgdon thought Titegroup was under-utilized as a shotshell powder and believed rebranding was the key - instead of just releasing 8X the data for loading Titegroup than they had previously published.

Boolit Grand Master
    We need a new powder like another hole in the head.

Just ramp up production of the stuff we know works.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    We need a new powder like another hole in the head.

Just ramp up production of the stuff we know works.
    100% in agreement!!

Boolit Master
    Yep, they can't keep enough of the current powders on the shelf so they make a "new"powder.

Boolit Master
    Yeah it’s kind of aggravating it’s not like it’s really a new powder! They all start out basically the same way they are either single base or double bass. And then the coatings and how to formulate it is what changes them. With all the really great powders that Have been discontinued ( like the SR powders) why couldn’t they bring back some of them that have plenty of published load data for them. Oh wait I know because then they can’t make new loading manuals and make more money! Screwed again!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Bub
    Same powder different name is SOP. H414/WW760, H110/WW296, and I'm not sure Longshot and WW572 are very different. Just my $0.02.

KB

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

The reloading market needs a new powder like it needs a new caliber.

Boolit Bub
    172 on Hodgdon's Burn Rate Chart. That does not include powders from Lovex in Czechia. When I started in 1971 there were maybe 30-40 total for everything. I like the better selection....

KB

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk