Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Lyman or RCBS which bottom pour pot?

Boolit Master

Lyman or RCBS which bottom pour pot?

I have gone about 25 years with Lee pots and am getting tired of the drips and not working right. Think I have decided to get a new pot, just not sure which one. It must be a bottom pour because I have NEVER been able to cast with a ladle, NEVER. Am thinking either a Lyman or RCBS but other bottom pour pots will be considered. Any and all suggestions will be seriously considered. Thank you for your comments and advice.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I too have used the Lee bottom pour pots, aka drip-a-matics . A few years ago I bought a Lyman , I forget what they call it, it holds 25 pounds of lead . I like it really well!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Buddy

My RCBS Pro Melt is great. BUT it is over 30 yrs old. It's different than the current model GW

Boolit Grand Master
    No personal experience with any of the new pots, my Promelt is a twin of GW's. If you can find one of the originals, I will highly endorse it.

Robert

I've got a pro-melt from the 90s and really like it.

If you can, I'd avoid anything with digital controls. They really don't like getting hot.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the older model Pro Melt. Have 3, all set up with PID temp control.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Buddy
    I also used Lee pots for 20 plus years. They worked great except for the constant drip. I just couldn’t justify new pot due to cost but one day a buddy of mine offered me his RCBS Pro Melt since he was getting out of casting altogether. I definitely recommend the old PMs. I should have ordered one years ago. Why wait to get what you really want? Find an old PM and you’ll never look back.

Boolit Buddy

Strange! Not much talk about Lyman pots. I had a Lyman before the PM but it had the detachable cord (like coffee maker) that burned out regularly and decided wanted something bigger. A friend bought a used Lyman 25 lb . Looks like nice pot but do not believe he has used it yet GW

I bought a new RCBS Pro Melt 2 a few years ago. I did a little research and found the reviews were better for the RCBS than the Lyman. I find the biggest draw back to the Pro Melt 2 is having to turn it off and let it cool to below 160* F before unplugging. I did add a small electronics fan over the vent holes as a precautionary measure.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Both the newer Lyman Mag 25 and the RCBS Easy Melt (ladle pot) quit working due to the electronics. Was able to repair the Lyman, myself. Took it apart and found a fuse holder with a blown glass tube type fuse. The RCBS is pop riveted together and haven't gotten around to take it apart, as yet. Have little faith in Chinese electronics. The Lyman has no shut down procedure like mentioned for the RCBS. I cast outdoors and religiously stuck to RCBS's shut down procedure. Both pots shut down while I was casting and had to rush to empty them out before they solidified.

Stick to the older ProMelt or the inexpensive Lee 20# and put up with the occasional drip. If I was younger, I would buy the Magma 40# pot. I do own a trouble free 220V ProMelt.

WInelover

Boolit Master

Several years ago I found a 220v Pro-Melt on sale at a big discount. I had my table saw wired for 220 v so the pot worked fine. It has been controlled by a PID for the last 3 years. No problems whatsoever.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I've heard that folks have been putting timers on the new Pro Melts--think they need to cool off for a while after you turn off the heating element and the timer keeps it from running forever

another vote for the original PM--mine is going strong after years and years of use
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

I am Woke, so I swing both ways.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0C273F61-1D5F-470B-A5FB-D0B4768DF154.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	315924

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the information. Don't think I am going to find an original Pro Melt. Knowing that version 2 is also a good machine is very helpful. Need to get a new house heater and air conditioner soon. Existing was installed when they remodeled the house in 2006. Existing is working fine but people that are supposed to know tell me its time is limited. At this stage of my life I do not want to be without heat or air conditioning. Probably within the next month or so for a purchase and installation.

Banned
    I have the original RCBS bottom pour pot. It's 43 years old and still going. Have had zero problems with it. I also have one of RCBS's ladle digital pots. No problems with it either. Will say this about it though, it takes TWICE as long as my old RCBS bottom pour to heat up and melt the entire pot full.

Boolit Master
    I have accrued a couple of pots, a RCBS ProMelt, Lee 20lb, Lee 10lb and what some would call antiques a Lyman 61 and 2 little Potter 3lbs.

Each have their pro’s and con’s. I live with and accept the drips and drops of the Lee pots but hate the vestigial mould guide of the 20 pounder and lack of one on the 10, the RCBS is new to me and seems to work and pour well, but I’m not a fan of the mould guide. The 61 has the best mould guide, but it is not quite right for non Lyman moulds. The little 3lb Potters are great for small runs, I have one with pure for muzzleloader and #2 for specific rifle bullets.

Like sizers I like the idea of having multiple pots for better flexibility. Right tool for the job as the saying goes. The bigger pots serve multi cavity and big bore bullets better.

The last for me is up to temp time, the bigger the hunk of lead the longer the warm up time.

Out of the pile of them the Lee 10lb is definitely the workhorse. Decent warm up time and cast enough out of a 1/2 cavity moulds for a good casting session with midsize pistol rounds.

Boolit Master
    Lyman’s QC and the customer service have both been terrible, in my experience. The RCBS pot is roughly $100 less. I got the RCBS and I am happy with it… except for letting the fan run overnight while the lead cools off.

Boolit Master
    I have the RCBS, bought used at a gun show 20 years ago and it has been fine. Also a Lyman Magdipper, bought new off eBay, also fine. I did get rid of 2 Lee pots as they were too much hassle, dripping, and trying to clean the spout. Try to keep your lead fluxed and clean, skim any crap from the top. That can mess up any bottom pour.

Boolit Grand Master
    Also the early pro-melt here. Bought first one new and found a couple of used ones over the years, so have three set up with different alloys