WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: 32 Long Colt

Moderator Emeritus

32 Long Colt

I realized I had put this in the wheel gun forum vs lever so...

32 Long Colt
    Oregon_Dan had pm'd me with a question of forming 32 long colt cartridges and if RCBS made forming dies. This came about from another thread where there was some confusion about loads for 32 long being confused with 32 S&W. I know folks make them from 32 S&W cases but I think the excess material or "belt" needs to be removed via a lathe or a very steady hand and drill press setup. Here are two threads with the original from when I won an auction for a miss labeled caliber. Goesto show you what happens with life. Got hurt, divorced, moved, disability retirement, etc. and I still haven't gotten any further with this project. I did get to shoot her and was really nice. Anyway I didn't want to hijack the original thread. I could have sworn there were some excellent posts from Chev. Williams but that might have been on the Marlin forum.
    Ron

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...t=32+Long+colt

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ong-Colt-cases

He had great posts.
    To go along with what you said, I think you may have to grind a bit off the base of the Colt die to try get rid of the "belt" it would make when running the Smith case in the Colt die. The is a bevel, or chamfer there on the bottom, so it needs to be gone to size all the way to the rim.
    Hope you can make it work

Hello MrWolf,

I formed some .32 S&W's to .32 RF. without the need to turn the base.
    I made a forming block from a piece of 1018 cold rolled, 1" x 4" x 3/8" thick.
    There are 4 holes, the first at .332"-.330", second at .327" - .325", third at .322" - .320", and the last at .317" - .315".
    After pushing the case all the way to the rim in each hole, cases measured .3167" which easily fit my .32 caliber revolvers.
    I didn't woorry about the primer pocket and passage closing up as I planned on drilling straight through & using
    a .27 caliber power cartridge as primer & powder charge. I did this on my little arbor press, and needed to push them out with a dowel.
    If I were to do it again, I'd use a piece of tool steel and harden it. I did get some deformation on the 1018 with 100 cases.

AntiqueSledMan.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the info. I did find one of the threads I was looking for on how others formed the cases:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ong-Colt-brass

I think it is the same one I posted above but I am getting a weird error when I click on my original links.

Boolit Buddy
    The cases and heeled bullets are available on GB from a guy called 10 mile. He is a wealth of knowledge on these calibers. JUST WENT TO GB and he is no longer listed.
    Last edited by fordwannabe; 07-13-2023 at 10:27 AM.

Jack Harrison is the guy, and here is one of his current listings.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/998263977
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

There used to be a guy on GB that sold converted 32S&W cases but seems they are gone. Buffalo Arms sells converted cases for about $0.70 each if I remember correctly, but shipping was ridiculous. Think 50 were about $35 and shipping was like $17 - for 50 cases. Unbelievable. One of these days I will get back to that project but I have to many things that need to be done first. The thread was created as there was some confusion between the 32 long colt and 32 S&W. There was also a 32 NP (New Police) to cause even more confusion and each are different.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    There used to be a guy on GB that sold converted 32S&W cases but seems they are gone.
    Ron
    ????? I just posted one of Jack's current listings! Sheesh!

Here's the exact URL for the cases - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/993871236
    Cognitive Dissident

If you want to make your own CF .32 Colt from .32 S&W, buy a .316" drill bushing from McMaster-Carr, part #8491A188. Press the case into this as far as it will go, then drive back out with a dowel. Remove the remaining fillet next to the rim. Lathe is best but a safe-edge file and a drill press or even a hand-held will do. Trim to length as needed. 8mm bushing #97060A234 is a couple thou smaller if your chamber(s) are tight.

I found out to my dismay that Starline brass has thick walls, so they will have to be thinned to be able to seat the bullet without bulging. Jack starts with PPU, which is thinner and thus needs no extra work. Remington is also OK if you can find any.
    Last edited by uscra112; 07-14-2023 at 01:42 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    ????? I just posted one of Jack's current listings! Sheesh!

Here's the exact URL for the cases - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/993871236
    Thanks. The link is for 32 rimfires not center fire. I was referring to someone who used to sell on GB back in 2015 when I made the original posts. Like I said I could get some from Buffalo Arms but when I can get back to it I will probably try my hand at turning a few myself. I just have to many other things to get done. I can only work about two hours or so a day. Disability sucks btw.