Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Ideal 287377

Ideal 287377

I was able to finally buy a 7mm mould on eBay for my Chilean mauser.
    It is a pointed Spitzer type weighing around 148 grains. I wonder if the Lyman cast bullet hand book first or second edition would have this design in it?
    Or perhaps some one has this mould and shoots it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chrome_image_Jul 11, 2023 7_50_32 PM CDT.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	315885

Hey there.
    Checked through every file I have and found nothing.

Boolit Master
    Though it does not list that particular bullet, the 3rd edition Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook does have loads for a 150 grain cast bullet in 7x57 Mauser. Like with anything, start at the minimum loads and work up. Here's a link to download the manual: https://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Man...-%20Reduce.pdf

Thanks 405
    I have the 3rd and 4th editions. I was just wondering if anyone shoots this boolit.
    I have never seen or heard of this mould before and was happy to get it.
    The little lee 130 grainer shoots pretty good actually. I will post a few targets once I start shooting that boolit.

Moderator Emeritus

That bullet was searched for for a long time by a former member here. He had a genius friend machinist install a blank in the mold making it a flat surface and called it the Mini Thor. Weight was around 135 gr and bearing surface is probably the same. Both NOE and Accurate have a close version in their catalog, or have had in the last few years. I would use Lee starting data for the Chilean Mauser with it. Because of the long, unsupported nose, I would not expect a lot from it. The key will be getting diameter to fit your throat.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    iron brigade: I hope your #287377 works out well for you. I have never seen or heard of that bullet before. I've built four different 7x57 Mausers; three on 98 actions and one on a 1895 Chilean small ring. I have the parts in the works to build a fifth 7x57 sporter on a 1936 Mexican Mauser action. It's been my experience that most 7x57's usually shoot their best with the heavier bullets (both jacketed and cast). I have two molds: the RCBS 7-145-Sil and the RCBS 7-168-Sp. Though the 145 grain silhouette is no slouch, I've been able to shoot sub MOA groups (on occasion) with the 168 grain bullet. Lots of powders work good in the 7x57 and many give very good accuracy. In my case I've always gotten the best accuracy using IMR-3031, with loads around 1800 to 1900 fps. With IMR-3031 I use 1 grain of poly-fil as a filler to keep the powder charge back against the primer hole. I haven't needed a filler with any other powder.

Boolit Master
    It really looks like th XXX413 molds. I had the 280413 and the 311413. Same boolit design but for different calibers. I would think that you could substitute load data for any roundnose cast boolit around 150 grains. If I remember correctly, mine shot well with lower velocity loads around 1000fps in my 270 win. I never cast with the 30 cal version so I got nothing for you on that.

Thanks for the feedback gents.
    I do have the rcbs 145 sil but it casts at .285 and I pc which gives me a .287 diameter.
    It shoots ok but not great. I have several of the ideal moulds and they all cast large and I'm hoping this mould casts large as well.
    Time will tell.

I have several mauser rifles and my latest purchase at a small local vfw gun show was a table in the back with a bunch of military rifles on it. Bought a type I Arisaka and went back the next day and bought a polish copy of the ww1 AZ mauser.
    So I will be playing with that this weekend.

Going back to the 7mm...
    When I bought the rifle I expected it to be finicky in finding a good load like my 6.5 calibers. Not the case. More like a .30 cal. Easy to work with and love the long case neck.