RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 65 is getting tired, what should I do?

Boolit Master

S&W 65 is getting tired, what should I do?

I've got an old Police Trade-in S&W 65 I've had for 20 years or so (FWPD stamped). Got it from a buddy of mine on trade for a Gen-2 Glock 17 I had bought for $100 back in in 2002. There is no telling how many rounds have gone down range out of this thing. But I can guarantee I've put at least 15,000, probably more like 20,000, through it myself - low end estimate. Most of my loads have been 158gr SWCs and 148gr WCs at 38spl velocities. I've fired maybe 500-1000 magnum loads out of it in total.

The revolver has a decent bur on the cylinder stop slots, probably from one of the former owners spinning the cylinder while closing it up. It came that way, but has still been quite usable to this day. The revolver also came with a decently worn firing pin hole on the frame. Again, nothing making the gun unusable, but it is an eye sore. The revolver has also developed a bit of endshake over the decades of service. Measured this with a feeler guage the other night, I measure the cylinder gap at 0.010", leading me to believe that it has seem quite a few magnum loads while in service.

Now the pros... The gun is still very accurate, with a smooth as glass barrel. Despite having a minor imperfection in the crown that almost looks like someone removed the end of one of the lands. The gun locks up tight enough, and doesn't appear to have any significant timing issues. The old sights leave something to be desired by today's standards. But it's still a good shooter. Though, it's not quite as pretty today as it once was.

With that said, I'm trying to figure out what I do with it now. Obviously I could always retire this one to the safe and buy a new one. But I also feel like the gun still has some life left in it. And I'm always cautious about the quality of modern S&W firearms. It wouldn't take but just a little elbow grease to shim the cylinder to alleviate the endshake problem. But then when looking at the cylinder stop slots, the firing pin hole, and the potential for future cracking of the forcing cone on this K-Frame with Magnum loads I'm curious if having any real work done to it would make any sense, given it's probably 40+ years old now. Not to mention, I'd probably have an easier time finding beach front property than I would have in finding a decent pistol smith in Oklahoma.

If this were you, what would you do? Put the 'ole girl out to pasture? Give her a tune up? Looking for suggestions if you haven't guessed....

EDIT: Added photos… It's a little dirty from the range this weekend. But should be good enough to tell it's condition.

Last edited by jdgabbard; 07-11-2023 at 06:11 PM.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Send it to a good 'smith and have it tuned. Super Vel used to fire over 100K test rounds through 44 mag S&W revolvers, to the point where the rear of the forcing cone was heavily eroded. Your 65 might be "middle aged" but it has a lot of life left.

Super Moderator

If it were mine and if it still shoots really well, I would work on getting it "tuned up".

Moderator Emeritus

I really feel for you vis your "dilemma". My #1 "worry/concern" is none other than SAFETY! Hence, if the revolver is still a safe revolver to shoot, the immediate need to have it worked on would seem not the highest priority. I'd check about with persons who have had their revolvers worked on, and at least get a starting point. In several of his books, John Taffen -- the revolver guru of gurus, imho -- lists recommended pistol smiths -- so you may, too, reference them. Regardless, as an added note, I would ONLY have the revolver shipped from a FFL to whomever you elect. Those extra dollars you'll spend doing this, again my thoughts, are relatively cheap insurance the arm will get there. Last year I sent a Ruger revolver out for a mod, and FFL fellow exacted $25.00 USD plus the actual shipping charge. I have zero regrets... the arm was shipped back to HIM, and I but needed pick it up.
    Good luck!
    geo

I'd contact Smith & Wesson and see what a rebuild would cost.

DG

Boolit Master
    HWooldridge, ShooterAZ, Der Gebirgsjager,

Sounds like S&W Service Center may be a viable solution. No clue what they'd charge, but I did just read a relatively recent post on another forum (2021ish) where they tuned up a 1950s Model 27 under warrant for the original owner. Obviously I'd have to pay for mine being at least the third owner, but that may not be too bad, as I read another post where a rebuild and new finish was quoted at $220 back in 2012. I'm sure it's more than that today. But if just a tune up is in the $200 range it might be worth it. More than that it might not be worth it, as most 65s are going for about $500 on GB from what I can tell.

georgerkahn,

If I were shipping to someone it would likely be to a well established shop that I was familiar with. But yes, going through an FFL is always a safe bet on return.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Master
    Not seeing any pics - just sayin'

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Not seeing any pics - just sayin'
    I can upload some when I get back to the house this evening.

Boolit Master
    You might contact S&W and find out if there are any factory trained S&W gunsmiths in your area. I have an old 10-5 that belonged to my father was in need of a “tune up”. I found such a smith locally. From what he said, the training program was quite rigorous.

Boolit Master

I have a N fraME .45ACP mODEL 22-4 that S&W did a action job on and it is ded smooth and has a really great trigger both in double action and single action. Guy called Vito did the work. It is a keeper for sure. james

Boolit Master
    Edited the original post to include pictures for reference. It's still a good gun. It just has some miles on it, and is starting to show it's age. Biggest issue is probably the endshake, which can be remedied easily. But it does have a few other issues, such as the firing pin bushing, cylinder stop slots, slight imperfection in the crown.

Boolit Master
    What dash number is it? Any competent S&W trained smith should be able to tune it up easily enough. As is it should be good for plenty more rounds down range.

Of the things you mentioned do you know how your hammer nose or firing pin protrusion looks. I have the spec around here somewhere.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    What dash number is it? Any competent S&W trained smith should be able to tune it up easily enough. As is it should be good for plenty more rounds down range.

Of the things you mentioned do you know how your hammer nose or firing pin protrusion looks. I have the spec around here somewhere.
    It is a 65-3 with a 4” barrel.

Concerning the firing pin, what do you mean? It has slight wear to the top of the hole vertically speaking. Like the pin has worn a little off the top of the bushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If nothing else, you could go over to the S&W Forum and ask for a recommendation of who to send it to for a tune-up. And since UPS and FEDEX ship to all 48/50 states, who cares if there's a local guy or not? You really limit your possibilities by insisting on staying within your state.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

If the end shake is cured by a shim or by stretching the yoke, what would the cylinder gap be? The barrel may need to be set back too.

Keep in mind that guns varied within the tolerances when brand new. A little wear or break in could send a high tolerance gun out of spec. (Saying that maybe yours was a high tolerance gun to start with and it doesn't have that many miles on it).

I've got a 686 and the cylinder notches are peened harder than yours. Going along with that, the slot in the frame for the cylinder stop is also wallowed out a bit. That said, if it's not skipping or missing cylinders during fast double action shooting, then it's not wore out yet.

If I couldn't do it myself, I'd sent it to Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle High Performance here in PA. (He knows what it takes to wear one all the way out, and he can make yours better than new.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

It won't be covered as a warranty issue. You will be full price to the custom shop. Some have a good luck with the custom shop some not so much. Prices will be the same or higher than a good revolver smith. Chance are the work will not be to the same level as good revolver smith. I do my own work so it's not an issue for me. I did work at a Gunshop that sent stuff to the custom shop occasionally for customers that didn't want to deal with S&W directly. Results were mixed.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/customer-service/warranty

Smith & Wesson’s Lifetime Service Policy begins after the warranty period has expired. Smith & Wesson will repair, without charge, for the lifetime of the original owner, any Smith & Wesson handgun purchased on or after February 1, 1989, and any M&P15 series rifle, that is found to have a defect in material or workmanship. Eligibility for this Lifetime Service Policy requires returning the Product Registration Card within 30 days of purchase.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Thx for the pics; here's a pic of my pair of police-trade-in Model 64-5's from 1996.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/veyhdm9tbe..._6203.JPG?dl=0

One needed a timing job and my local gunsmith was able to take care of it.

Even though these sorts of revolvers are not particularly valuable, if it was me I would pay what it takes to get them as mechanically sound as possible.
    They do have history, and S&W won't be making any more of these. Much more preferable to me than a 'comparable' new S&W revolver; JMO.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    It is a 65-3 with a 4” barrel.

Concerning the firing pin, what do you mean? It has slight wear to the top of the hole vertically speaking. Like the pin has worn a little off the top of the bushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Took a little to dig up your -3 should have the hammer nose (FP mounted on the hammer), there is a gauge that is easily home made the protrusion should be between .040 and .050 Takes a bit of finagling but with the cylinder open and the bolt held back a bit cycle the hammer through its stroke like a single fire but ride the hammer home with your thumb until it touches the frame and hold it there. if you let it pop back the flag safety will reset and you will have to do it again. Harder to explain than to actually do it. see attached for the tool and measurements. Your top wear on the blast plate may be from a bent firing pin, are your strikes centered on the primers? You would be able to see this interfearance/contact with the hammer nose while its protruding thru the frame

the later models have an actual firing pin floating in the frame that can be replaced a bit more easily. the difference is easy to spot the firing pin type has nothing on the hammer

Hope this helps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FP Gauge.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	315884

I'd highly recommend taking it to a competent gunsmith to get a thorough inspection and a clean bill of health. At least they could ensure that there is nothing that could put you or other users of the revolver in danger.
    From the looks of things, it's certainly well worn and definitely a bit abused, but it would be best to take the time to hunt down an expert and get their opinion on the matter, as well as the potential to have the issues fixed by the same expert as well.

Boolit Master

Contact the Cylinder and Slide Shop if they are still in business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast