WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Norwegian Krag hard to eject fired casing….

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Photo is mine. Showing the m/1895 Chilean Mauser.

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/1895Chile.html

Dutch
    Thanks Dutch

Boolit Mold
    Well, reporting in again. I finally had time to go back. I also received some 1000 and 2000 grit emery paper from a friend. I used the 1000 and the the 2000 judiciously in the chamber. Chamber became extremely shiny. I then went and tried three rounds. Problem is 75-80% solved. Extraction is much easier and there are no protruding primers. I believe the problem may be solved. Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    After polishing out the chamber I would recommend that you check the headspace again just to get sure that it has not increased.
    It probably won't with that fine of polishing cloth
    But it is better to be sure.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    Well, reporting in again. I finally had time to go back. I also received some 1000 and 2000 grit emery paper from a friend. I used the 1000 and the the 2000 judiciously in the chamber. Chamber became extremely shiny. I then went and tried three rounds. Problem is 75-80% solved. Extraction is much easier and there are no protruding primers. I believe the problem may be solved. Thoughts?
    Well that is good, but would have liked to see it 100%. While you were viewing the chamber was shiney did you see anything out of place in it? On your fired cases are they a gradual taper that gets smaller from should going towards the case head? I'm just wanting to know if your chamber has a swell in it. That's hard to detect. Sure wish you had one of those cell phone bore scopes. When I'm polishing metal like that I have a large stick of Red jewelers rouge and I put it on cloth and spin it with a drill or dremel and it smoothes metal like a mirror and takes far less metal off they emery cloth or even steel wool. You may want to spin oiled 0000 steel wool in the chamber again, but be very careful of the rod you spin it with to insure you don't do any damage. Glad to hear the primers don't protrude. You may want to check the headspace like the other member mentioned. Be sure when you resize your cases not to push the shoulder back too far to create excess head space.

Thanks for posting back as I've been waiting to hear from you.

Would still be interesting to see a case inked up and fired.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Would still be interesting to see a case inked up and fired.
    I agree with that.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the help here. I am going to try a few full loads next to see how they react. Well, full loads according to what is recommended for this rifle. Dave

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    Thanks for all the help here. I am going to try a few full loads next to see how they react. Well, full loads according to what is recommended for this rifle. Dave
    I feel better that you noted loads for that rifle! Let us know.

Boolit Mold
    Another try with the 2000 grit emery cloth and now everything extracts easily. No catching when extracting. Pleased with all the input I got here.

Boolit Buddy
    Glad to hear you apparently solved your problem. Wish I'd stumbled on this thread earlier but guess it's still worth relating an experience I had that was very similar. About 30 years back I belonged to a hunt club that was primarily operated by one family.....the patriarch had three sons so our usual group consisted of five..........we deer hunted with dogs.......made for a smooth working operation for drives.

One day the old man didn't show so number one son grabbed his rifle, an old poorly maintained Remington auto in the original .244 chambering.........I and #1 were sitting on a crossing and a small buck happened by resulting in #1 snapping off two quick shots and then experiencing a jam.....not unusual with the Remington auto line I know, but this one smelled like bacon frying at breakfast time! The boy was cussing his miss and the jamming rifle and grabbed a small can of Crisco from his dad's jeep and reloaded the clip all the while stuffing it with Crisco! Said the old man did it all the time and that it was the only way to keep it running..........Long story shortened I took the rifle home that night, broke it down and pulled the bbl..........which had an annular groove running from the chamber lead to the breach..........later found that the owner had left it standing upright in that hunting cabin all summer and the roof leaked......must've ran right into the bbl from the look of things. Anyway, I did the emory polish technique on that chamber and followed up with a fast crocus cloth finish............Worked like a charm,,told the old man I hoped he kept cleaner underwear than guns!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123