RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Re-sizing a Lube-Sizer die from .401 to .403/,404

Re-sizing a Lube-Sizer die from .401 to .403/,404

Okay, been a minute since I posted or responded on the forum. Not sure why I am just noticing this after 20 years of casting, but.............. Every dog has their day I suppose. Anyway, noticed accuracy dropping significantly in my Winchester 1892 (original, manufactured in 1897, NFS) chambered in .38 WCF. So, re-slugged the barrel at .402 after bore scoping and noticing some leading patches, although the rifling was still prominent on the slug. Current boolits are Accurate 40-215B, checked with a Pat Marlin's PB gas check out of beer can aluminum, and sized to .401 with a Lyman lube-sizer die.

Big question and know it is on here somewhere, What is the best way to beagle the die a few thousandths?

Moderator Emeritus

Best way?
    Hone it on a Lathe.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeynick39 View Post
    Okay, been a minute since I posted or responded on the forum. Not sure why I am just noticing this after 20 years of casting, but.............. Every dog has their day I suppose. Anyway, noticed accuracy dropping significantly in my Winchester 1892 (original, manufactured in 1897, NFS) chambered in .38 WCF. So, re-slugged the barrel at .402 after bore scoping and noticing some leading patches, although the rifling was still prominent on the slug. Current boolits are Accurate 40-215B, checked with a Pat Marlin's PB gas check out of beer can aluminum, and sized to .401 with a Lyman lube-sizer die.

Big question and know it is on here somewhere, What is the best way to beagle the die a few thousandths?
    Strips of Aluminum self-stick duct tape.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Best way?
    Hone it on a Lathe.
    He wants to make bullet bigger diameter not smaller ??

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Best way?
    Hone it on a Lathe.
    ^^^^^This^^^^^ But you'll need a bigger bottom punch or you'll get leakage crowding in underneath the bullet. Easy but expensive way is to buy a Grade ZZ gage pin and cut it to length. Hard way but cheap is to make one on the lathe. Fit has to be close - .0005 on diameter is not too tight,
    Cognitive Dissident

Don't have a lathe, but do have a drill press.

Moderator Emeritus

2nd best way
    http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/How...Size%20Die.pdf

using a drill press is a bad idea
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

PERFECT!!!! I think that was the one I read several years ago. Also couldn't find any Chore Boy or Chore girl for the barrels scrub, but I did find a knock off brand at Wal-Mart in the cleaning section. Tried to look online to find out material before purchase, but said the hell with it and bought it anyway because it said copper and not copper covered. Did a burn test at home with a few strands and it IS pure copper scrubber. Now to go get the emery cloth from the LHS. Need some new stock anyway. Good luck and stay safe!!!

To use a drill press to open a die up, clean the die and then chuck the I portion in the drill leaving about 3/4 stuck out. Then put the H part on the I part, carefully use a tiny amount of super glue, spread only on the end face of the H part to glue it to the chuck face. Use some oil on the I part to make sure the glue doesn’t get in there. Unchuck the I part and remove it. Then you can use sandpaper on a dowel to open up your H part while it spins, glued to the chuck. When you’re done, give it a whack with your palm and it will pop right off.

Increasing finished sized bullet diameters by using a harder alloy.

Re-sizing a Lube-Sizer die from .401 to .403/,404
    Need a new center plug made. Or a new die https://www.buffaloarms.com/403-cust...ma-bac403.html

Linotype will increase bullet diameter by up to .002" if currently using near pure lead.

The harder alloy spring back more after leaving the die.

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Need a new center plug made. Or a new die https://www.buffaloarms.com/403-cust...ma-bac403.html

Linotype will increase bullet diameter by up to .002" if currently using near pure lead.

The harder alloy spring back more after leaving the die.
    Yeah, the emery cloth method works for me. it'll cost me less than a third of what the custom die cost. Also, don't need a harder alloy. I'm using these for hunting and need bone crushing obturation, not boolit shattering. thanks though.