WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Dual ring carbide sizing dies

Boolit Mold

Dual ring carbide sizing dies

I have read Brian Pearce explain several times why he prefers the dual ring carbide sizing die to fully size large cases such as .45 Colt and .454 Casull. My Freedom Arms 83 cylinders in 45 Colt and 454 Casull will not fully seat sized brass when using either Hornady or RCBS sizing dies. The same holds true with a Ruger Bisley .45 Colt cylinder that Jack Huntington built for me that is every bit as tight as my Freedom Arms 83. Redding no longer makes the dual ring sizing dies. Does anyone know of a suitable alternative, or have any suggestion? Thanks.

Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to read of your challenge! I assume that factory rounds chamber OK, and if so -- both your Casull and Bisley cylinders are to SAAMI specs. This being writ, the commercial sizing dies are also supposed to be to same SAAMI specs. Two notes is I had, way back, a slight -- not as bad as yours -- challenge with a Herters sizing die, and my cure/fix was to try (it worked!) and replace it with a Redding die. Hence -- this would be my first suggestion. If, using the Redding die you still have issues, then you will need be in contact with a custom die maker. Sadly, the one I knew passed away about a decade ago, and know not the names of others. Perhaps someone else on site had knowledge, but I have vague memory of a place where you sent three of your cases and a Cerro cast which custom machined dies to your need.
    Good luck!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I have the dual ring sizers, but I think georgerkahn hit the nail on the head. You need a sizer with a smaller carbide ring, not necessarily a second ring. I second his suggestion of trying a single carbide ring full length sizing die from Redding.

Boolit Master
    Redding stopped manufacturing their dual ring carbide sizers because they want you to buy their latest and greatest, the NxGen Carbide Die!

https://www.redding-reloading.com/on...rbide-die-sets
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Bub

What type of press are you using? The sizing of the case can be effected by the hight of the shell holder.

CH makes us Tom dies that can be titanium coated. They once looked through a batch of out of spec dies and found one I needed. They’re behind but real good folks. Give them a call.

Redding made the dual ring dies so that the lower portion of the case could be large enough for a better fit in the typical, large chambers of most 45 revolvers, and a slightly smaller upper ring would size the "neck" small enough for a firm grip on the bullet.

This provides a significant accuracy improvement, but Freedom Arms has much tighter chambers. Dual ring is the last thing you'd want.

There is a significant tolerance variation within different lots, and brands, of sizing dies. If you have any chance to test the results of other standard 45 Colt sizers you will most likely find one that chambers. 45 ACP sizer is also a possibility.

I forgot to mention that at least for a while, Redding made their steel (non-carbide) 45 Colt sizers with a small neck and larger body as described above, but the body portion was tapered to an even larger base.

I have both types of the Reddings, and they make tack drivers out of Ruger and S&W 45s with their large chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    Steel dies you can also grind the bottom of the die. Bad thing is it gets rid of the radius so you have to carefully guide it in.

You could also try the 45 acp dies as well.

Have you checked the base diameter of factory ammo vs the reloads.

Boolit Mold
    I ordered a Nextgen set from Brownells, should be here by the 19th. I will give them a try. My current RCBS dies work well in MY S&W and Ruger RedHawks and another Blackhawk. My issue is my F/A 83, and a very tight Blackhawk Bisley redone by Jack Huntington which now has tolerances as tight as my model 83. I am also closely examining my bullet choice. WFN cast bullets of 280 grains and heavier may contribute to my dilemma.
    Last edited by dankathytc; 07-16-2023 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Spelling