Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: 43 spanish

Boolit Mold

43 spanish

I’m looking for some loads for my .43 spanish. I am thinking of using 5744 and was guessing around 18.0 grains to start. Any thoughts???

Try doing a search outside the forum, the search function here can limit the time frame you search. Google, duck duck go what ever your favorite search engine is, include "castboolits" in the search string. You will get a number of hits. I have loaded for the 43 Spanish, don't remember what I used, and the load book is in the shed and I'm too lazy to go get it.

There is a formula for 5744 to calculate min/max loads based on case capacity to the base of the seated bullets, you should be able to find that. I'd quote it here, but geezer memory prevents me from being that silly.

If I recall correctly, Lee quotes any 45-70 load less 10% to start. Don't cast that in stone but that is what I remember as load recommendations.

It's a fun caliber to shoot, I've got one in a Remington rolling block.

And because brass for a 43 spanish can be made of unobtanium, there are instructions floating around the forum for making it out of belted magnum brass with a snap ring in the extractor groove standing in for the real rim. 7mm Remington Mag? I think
    Last edited by 15meter; 07-08-2023 at 10:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Try doing a search outside the forum, the search function here can limit the time frame you search. Google, duck duck go what ever your favorite search engine is, include "castboolits" in the search string. You will get a number of hits. I have loaded for the 43 Spanish, don't remember what I used, and the load book is in the shed and I'm too lazy to go get it.

There is a formula for 5744 to calculate min/max loads based on case capacity to the base of the seated bullets, you should be able to find that. I'd quote it here, but geezer memory prevents me from being that silly.

If I recall correctly, Lee quotes any 45-70 load less 10% to start. Don't cast that in stone but that is what I remember as load recommendations.

It's a fun caliber to shoot, I've got one in a Remington rolling block.

And because brass for a 43 spanish can be made of unobtanium, there are instructions floating around the forum for making it out of belted magnum brass with a snap ring in the extractor groove standing in for the real rim. 7mm Remington Mag? I think
    I did purchase a few .43 spanish cases a few years ago.
    It seems track of the wolf might be still selling them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 22-31-54 for .43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block - Track of the Wolf.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	315771

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ricky51466 View Post
    I’m looking for some loads for my .43 spanish. I am thinking of using 5744 and was guessing around 18.0 grains to start. Any thoughts???
    Ricky,
    welcome to the forum.
    BP is probably the way to go, maybe do some research on that. If you don't want to use BP, then I'd use Unique, maybe start with 10gr and work up. I've loaded a similar size cartridge (11mm Gras) with non-existent published load data.

If using Google for searching this website, type in your keywords, then "site:castboolits.gunloads.com" for best results.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 07-09-2023 at 12:36 PM. Reason: edited
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Ricky,
    welcome to the forum.
    BP is probably the way to go, I'd start with 40gr of 2F. I've loaded a similar size cartridge (11mm Gras) with non-existent published load data. If you don't want to use BP, then I'd use Unique, maybe start with 10gr and work up.

If using Google for searching this website, type in your keywords, then "site:castboolits.gunloads.com" for best results.

Good Luck.
    It would seem that 2fg black power fully loaded with no air space between bullet and charge for a beginner is the safest way. I do not have any BP at the moment.

Boolit Mold
    22 grains of 4227 with a 300 grain bullet. Works great.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    It would seem that 2fg black power fully loaded with no air space between bullet and charge for a beginner is the safest way. I do not have any BP at the moment.
    yes, you are correct. I edited my original comment. I shouldn't have assumed he has basic knowledge of BP cartridge loading and fillers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    with Trailboss powderyou can't overcharge!

Boolit Mold
    12th Ed CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD

387 LEAD IMR 4189 32 GRS 1,360 FPS

387 LEAD IMR 3031 40 GRS, 1,310 FPS

I shoot a 43 Mauser a bit smaller in diameter brass I do:

340 Lead IMR 4198 30 grs

I can load heavier but the shoulder punishment increases with the grainage.
    They suggest its safe to load up to 70% of the black power charge of 77 grains
    but 30 grains is as a much as I care to handle. In my case the gun was built to originally take a chamber pressure 24,000 psi they recommend sticking to 20,000 psi and below in consideration of the guns age.

Boolit Buddy
    A general rule of thumb for 5744 in cartridges originally loaded with BP is 40% by weight of the BP charge. This level will come close to duplicating the original BP velocity. The original BP charge for the 43 Spanish was 77 grains if memory serves, so about 30 grains of 5744.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt H View Post
    A general rule of thumb for 5744 in cartridges originally loaded with BP is 40% by weight of the BP charge. This level will come close to duplicating the original BP velocity. The original BP charge for the 43 Spanish was 77 grains if memory serves, so about 30 grains of 5744.
    That's close, it's actually find the depth of the seated bullet you are using, fill the case to that level with 5744. Weigh the 5744 and multiple that value by .4 for a starting load. It's not much different but you are fine tuning your load for your specific bullet. And I'm not sure how close black and 5744 are in density. I remember the max load being quoted as 48%. But the max value is my geezerville memory.

The 40% starting load is quoted here:

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2066

Good luck.

I know the 40% of 5744 to the base of the bullet or boolit has worked for me in a dozen plus boomer cartridges.

Of course, we are all responding to a thread that was posted by a dude that made exactly 1 post and hasn't been back since

Boolit Grand Master

Just putting along to see what fish will bite ???
    .348 brass makes pretty good 43 spanglish powder holders.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Just putting along to see what fish will bite ???
    .348 brass makes pretty good 43 spanglish powder holders.
    But the rear area of the .348 is too thick to chamber in my .43 spanish without removing some metal.

Boolit Grand Master

That would be an inconvenience... Rainy days and / or 100+ days are good ones for such amusing projects.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt H View Post
    Yes, I believe you are right about the 40 % of the BP charge that is most likely where I came up with my 30 grain Nitro charge for my 43 Mauser, but I have heard of them being charged up to 34 or 35 grains, but again 30 grains is ever as much as I want to handle.