RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Got my Ruger No 1 dialed in, with a longer range sight.

Boolit Master

Got my Ruger No 1 dialed in, with a longer range sight.

I had posted earlier about getting the Ruger No 1 in 40/65. I had some very tall fixed sights that I put on it, and they were still too low, hitting about a foot low at 100 yds. I looked at 3-4 ways of putting a peep sight on it, could not come up with one I liked, the closest I came was putting a plate where the saftey was after removing the button, but not did not like it. I was going thru my peep sight box, and I came across a small box, picked it up and opened it, and inside I found a Smith Enterprises sight, I think, the kind that folds down and has a buckhorn type sight, or you can flip it up, and It has a ladder, with a sliding leaf, with a screw on the side to tighten it up. I had taken it off of a Marlin 38/55, and with a little machining, filing and fitting, it fit tightly inside the dovetail on the No 1 quarter rib. It is exactly the same width and looks good. I estimated where I needed to slide the leaf up the ladder, and tried a shot at 100 yds, it was about 10" high, two more shots and adjustments and I hit my 4x6" clanger 3 times in a row. This was with light bu llet weight, 265 gr ammo that the previous owner said it would not shoot well. Now all I have to do is load up some of the 385 and 400 gr loads and zero. I believe that i can go to 500 yds or more with it, if I can shoot the sights that far. At 500yds we shoot a 18" square clanger, and I figure I will have to center it on top of the front sight, which is tiny but will probably cover it up at that yardage. I will send TBG a pic or two to post for me. It only took me about 20 minutes to get it fitted and zeroed. Some times I over look the simple solutions.

It is amazing what you find in your boxes of parts sometimes. I have 4 large plastic boxes like serious fisherman use and try to keep parts somewhat in order such as sights, scope rings, bases, screws of all types, springs, and all kinds of small parts.
    Once in a while I find stuff I forgot I had and that puts a smile on your face when something will work for what you need.
    I have often thought when I pass where all this stuff will end up .

Jedman

I would check the twist rate of that barrel to make very sure you have a hope of stabilizing those long bullets.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

I bet your Ruger might shoot both pretty well, especially out to 500-600 yds. The heavier bullet might also do well past that, but of course only shooting it on paper will tell for sure.
    I use a 410 gr. Snover bullet in my original Ballard Pacific in .40-85 out to 1000 yds., and it's accurate with the original 1:20" twist, even though most say it needs a 16" twist to be any good.

Boolit Master
    Val you are correct. I got some targets and load data from the original owner, and he had some fantastic groups shooting 385 and 400, 420 gr slugs and H 332. All bullets were in a ragged hole at 100 yds and 5 touching with no paper between them at 200 yds. Of course this is with modern rings and scope, I think he had a Sightron 6x24x40 on it. I got the scope rings with it, but hate to put on a modern scope. I have been considering a Malcom 6x or 8x, . I might also consider a older Weaver steel tube, long scope, 6x, 8x or 10x. Also the owner said the barrel was supposed to be a 1-18 twist but he was pretty sure when he checked it, it was a 1-14, which would explain why it shot the heavy stuff so well. It shot the 265 grain pretty good also. I have about 250 assorted .410 diameter bullets, lubed and sized .410 between 385, 410, 420 grs that came with the gun along with the dies, sizing die, mold and brass.

Great job Koger!!!

More than one way to skin a cat.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Got my Ruger No 1 dialed in, with a longer range sight.

Here it is.
    Nice work, Sam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 07-08-2023 at 09:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting these pics.

Boolit Master
    That is a nice set of sights. Thanks for sharing!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master
    Let's see a picture of the whole gun.

That looks good too, Sam.

I didn’t know that Ruger offered extension rings- or did you customize one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk