WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Marlin 44 Magnum Model 1894

Banned

Ruger Marlin 44 Magnum Model 1894

Ruger just announce they are coming out with the 44 mag in the 94. Yes to answer your question they finally changed the rifling twist to 1 in 20!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Just maybe they will respond also with a 44 WCF.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Just maybe they will respond also with a 44 WCF.
    It would be a top seller in either 44WCF or even 38WCF!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master
    Thankfully, Ruger/Marlin will ignore silly stuff like cartridges that are difficult to purchase and focus on market success.

I want them to succeed.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    i dont get it, The 1894s in 44 mag are sought after but not as much as the 357/38 model 1894s. How did they miss that in releasing the 44 mag model first??

Boolit Master

While I aplaud their quest to do away with the 1:38 twist, I would do a little further research.
    First, I'd say more than half the .44 Mag shooters will want to use a 429421 bullet in it to match the M29 or SBH they have.
    I paid for my education by rebarrelig a M1894 .44 with a 1:20 some years ago. It shot 300 grain bullets really nice but not the lighter 421s.
    Felix and I worked on this project one whole winter by e-mail back and forth and finally figured this was not the solution if you wanted an all around .44 Magnum carbine.
    Felix had a Ruger with a 1:26 twist and it did fine. My Marlin didn't despite the fact that it wore a Douglas 1:20 twist. I junked that project and sulked. Then Winchester brought out the Legacy with a 1:26 and it would shoot both the 250 and 300 grain with a 1:26 twist in the one I had. Then the lawyers interceeded and put their hokey safety linkage in and it would missfire a lot so it left the stable.
    Our calculations indicated that a 1:25 3/4 twist was perfect.
    So, were I those boys, I'd look close at that. The .444 shoots well with a 1:20 but we're talking heavy bullets here. Mine didn't shoot lighter bullets worth beans.
    I'm betting that a bunch of shooters will want to shoot 250s and surge to 300 grainers occasionally for special hunts.
    Now, I'm just an ignorant red neck and what do I know? Far be it for me to tell the experts what's right and wrong./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    While I aplaud their quest to do away with the 1:38 twist, I would do a little further research.
    First, I'd say more than half the .44 Mag shooters will want to use a 429421 bullet in it to match the M29 or SBH they have.
    I paid for my education by rebarrelig a M1894 .44 with a 1:20 some years ago. It shot 300 grain bullets really nice but not the lighter 421s.
    Felix and I worked on this project one whole winter by e-mail back and forth and finally figured this was not the solution if you wanted an all around .44 Magnum carbine.
    Felix had a Ruger with a 1:26 twist and it did fine. My Marlin didn't despite the fact that it wore a Douglas 1:20 twist. I junked that project and sulked. Then Winchester brought out the Legacy with a 1:26 and it would shoot both the 250 and 300 grain with a 1:26 twist in the one I had. Then the lawyers interceeded and put their hokey safety linkage in and it would missfire a lot so it left the stable.
    Our calculations indicated that a 1:25 3/4 twist was perfect.
    So, were I those boys, I'd look close at that. The .444 shoots well with a 1:20 but we're talking heavy bullets here. Mine didn't shoot lighter bullets worth beans.
    I'm betting that a bunch of shooters will want to shoot 250s and surge to 300 grainers occasionally for special hunts.
    Now, I'm just an ignorant red neck and what do I know? Far be it for me to tell the experts what's right and wrong./beagle
    It's just your particular barrel that didn't do good with the 1 in 20 twist. This whole twist business is overrated. My 3 screw Ruger Blackhawk shoots 200 grain SWC's like a match 1911, but it doesn't with the 255 grain bullets. I have an early Marlin Cowboy in 45 Colt. Very very accurate to 100 yards then it falls on it's face. My 16 inch barreled Winchester 94 with the faster twist blows the doors off the Marlin. Listen to this at 200 to 300 yards with 255 grain SWC's the Marlin would barely be able to hit a man, but yet the Winchester Trapper puts them right in it. When Ruger gets going good on the Marlin I might very well get rid of that 1 and 38 twist barrel on the Marlin and have them put the new faster twist barrel on it. Am I the only member on this forum that didn't get brainwashed by someone about faster twists?

Boolit Grand Master
    You guys seem to think the market is reloaders and casters. I know about 40 people that hunt deer and bear. None cast and none reload.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    You guys seem to think the market is reloaders and casters. I know about 40 people that hunt deer and bear. None cast and none reload.
    Don I use to be like that except I loaded my jacketed. Then I tried cast on deer and I was blown away at the excellent results. Don't know if you haven't tried it and I'm speaking to you directly.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    i dont get it, The 1894s in 44 mag are sought after but not as much as the 357/38 model 1894s. How did they miss that in releasing the 44 mag model first??
    I think they did it intentionally to hold down the demand and avoid upsetting all the people who want a new .357 1894, and they want it now!
    Remember the howls of outrage over long waits and the scalpers' prices when the first 1895s came trickling out of the factory? Imagine what it would like if they announced the .357 model first.
    Now that I think about it, they should have made the first run in .41 Magnum.
    Me, I'm going to patiently wait for the .357 stainless, threaded muzzle, Picatinny-railed version.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 07-06-2023 at 01:45 AM.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

My brother has a Henry 44mag with a 1/20 twist. It shoots standard semi jacket 240's VERY well. I know this is a cast boolit forum, but rifle manufacturers can't design a firearm with reloaders in mind.

Boolit Master
    I don’t know why but the Remlins came out in the same sequence, I believe.

Just hope they do not copy those SBH barrels that were .432, been there done that.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Banned
    Ruger has some smart people working for them. They saw the light on the "old" rifling twist Marlin had been using. Did you ever wonder why Luger had a 9 something twist? It wasn't until the American's started making 9x19mm pistols that they upped it to 16.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    This is my experience too, however very few of these guys (at least around here) are going to buy a $1000 lever action. Nearly all will go with one of the various sub-MOA cheap bolt actions available today. Someone buying an expensive lever action is much more likely to reload and cast then the average Axis/American/Compass purchaser.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    This is my experience too, however very few of these guys (at least around here) are going to buy a $1000 lever action. Nearly all will go with one of the various sub-MOA cheap bolt actions available today. Someone buying an expensive lever action is much more likely to reload and cast then the average Axis/American/Compass purchaser.
    Like everything else firearm prices are out of sight. I'd like to know who buys those 1911's from Ed Brown, Nighhawk, etc., that cost like three to four thousand dollars. NOT ME!

The new 1894's in .44 mag or out now ,, they're Carbines. There is a video on You Tube buy some guy who got one and reviewed it . I couldn't stand listening to him. Limited Availability. They look just like the new 336's.

I talked to a friend who's got one to write up , He said it was the best Marlin he'd ever seen, and he actually knows what he's talking about. Supposed to be @ $1300. I want to see if they did my Chamber Mod? Pretty sure they did.

Next ones will be .38/.357 then .45 LC. others may come down the road but Ruger is actually in business to make money, and they have a pretty good idea what sells I want an 1894 CB20 in .44 mag. The big distributors will order what they want and since they order 500+ at a time Ruger will make them. They have a pretty good Idea of what sells too, so that will drive production.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    Straight wall case requirements in a bunch of states for deer hunting. That plus the deer season is not far away in some of those states. I would have done the same thing to get these new rifles into the hands of whitetail hunters. 357 1894's are a sure seller for sure, but a lot of states have a minimum requirement for energy I am told.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I own a Win 94 Legacy, 24" bbl, 1/20 twist. Bought it new right after they came out back in the late 1990's. It shoots the Lee 310 gr, 240,250, 260 Lyman, & a 280gr NOE I cast from scrap WW's. Delivers excellent accuracy with all weights. Haven't tried 220gr.

That's a fair statement.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast